HOL: Three early takeaways from Husker spring practice

If he shows he is good enough to be the back up, then he should be. You would have POB, Lee, and Bush as your top three in 2017, with one of he young guys redshirting. The only way POB redshirts this year, is if he looks and plays like he is totally lost on the field. Practicing in helmets and shorts doesn't really do much of anything as it relates to gauging his abilities. In other words, if you know your not going to lit up, you have no problem hanging in there the extra second to make the throw. So lets see how he does when they go live. There are lots of "Great" QB's that lost it when they got popped in the mouth.

I would be extremely disappointed to see POB not be the starter until 2019. Assuming that's what was meant about Tanner Lee "bridging the gap". That's a large gap unless POB redshirts this year. Unless POB is the starter, he better redshirt. No reason to waste a year or his talent playing backup.

If POB feels comfortable, and is willing, and the coaches think he is the best backup, I'm OK with him playing. Obviously, I don't think it would be a good idea if it amounts to POB seeing a grand total of 10-15 snaps in garbage time all season and that's it. But if he earns the PT, wants to do it and there are beneficial snaps to be had, I say let him play.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fyfe maintains the back-up spot, though. I know people let the Purdue game stick in their minds but the team came out of that game feeling more confident in Fyfe's abilities.

I think that it would be best for POB to redshirt this year if he's not going to start, I think Fyfe is a reliable enough back-up to handle that for another year. If POB actually is better than Armstrong right now, then I'm definitely okay with him starting. But I doubt that he will overtake TA as a freshman.

I haven't seen much of Tanner Lee, but what I could find didn't blow me away. He seemed to be average on a below average team. But we'll see what he can do with the talent we have around him here as opposed to Tulane.

If I were a betting man, I would say the chances are good that TA starts, Fyfe backs up, and POB redshirts. Tanner Lee is kind of a variable for next year. But you never really know this early, I just have a hard time seeing the staff burn a year with POB just so he can be the back-up.

This is what I'm predicting, as well. POB would have to have a really good spring/fall to beat out TA. As most people would agree (I think) beating out a senior with ~three years starting experience is going to be extremely difficult.

Now, if TA were to start, and he ended up getting injured, it'd be interesting to see what happens. If it was early in the year and POB was doing well enough, would they yank the redshirt instead of Fyfe? There would be a lot of factors at play there.

All I want is the best guy playing. TA, POB or Fyfe. Whoever gives us the best chance to win the given circumstances. If POB ends up getting shoved 3rd/4th down the depth chart this year then I think that will be totally OK. Not every freshman quarterback can step in and play right away, even the highly touted ones.

I would be extremely disappointed to see POB not be the starter until 2019. Assuming that's what was meant about Tanner Lee "bridging the gap". That's a large gap unless POB redshirts this year. Unless POB is the starter, he better redshirt. No reason to waste a year or his talent playing backup.

If POB feels comfortable, and is willing, and the coaches think he is the best backup, I'm OK with him playing. Obviously, I don't think it would be a good idea if it amounts to POB seeing a grand total of 10-15 snaps in garbage time all season and that's it. But if he earns the PT, wants to do it and there are beneficial snaps to be had, I say let him play.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fyfe maintains the back-up spot, though. I know people let the Purdue game stick in their minds but the team came out of that game feeling more confident in Fyfe's abilities.

I think that it would be best for POB to redshirt this year if he's not going to start, I think Fyfe is a reliable enough back-up to handle that for another year. If POB actually is better than Armstrong right now, then I'm definitely okay with him starting. But I doubt that he will overtake TA as a freshman.

I haven't seen much of Tanner Lee, but what I could find didn't blow me away. He seemed to be average on a below average team. But we'll see what he can do with the talent we have around him here as opposed to Tulane.

If I were a betting man, I would say the chances are good that TA starts, Fyfe backs up, and POB redshirts. Tanner Lee is kind of a variable for next year. But you never really know this early, I just have a hard time seeing the staff burn a year with POB just so he can be the back-up.

This is what I'm predicting, as well. POB would have to have a really good spring/fall to beat out TA. As most people would agree (I think) beating out a senior with ~three years starting experience is going to be extremely difficult.

Now, if TA were to start, and he ended up getting injured, it'd be interesting to see what happens. If it was early in the year and POB was doing well enough, would they yank the redshirt instead of Fyfe? There would be a lot of factors at play there.

All I want is the best guy playing. TA, POB or Fyfe. Whoever gives us the best chance to win the given circumstances. If POB ends up getting shoved 3rd/4th down the depth chart this year then I think that will be totally OK. Not every freshman quarterback can step in and play right away, even the highly touted ones.

I guess I just don't think that it's a given that POB steps in and is immediately better than Fyfe, let alone TA. I think POB will be 3rd string, and I don't see why you wouldn't redshirt a freshman 3rd string QB. Even if he's 2nd string, is the gap so large between him and Fyfe that it's worth losing him for a year? Obviously injuries can change all of this, but TA has been durable throughout his career so I'm going to assume he'll stay healthy.

I buy the idea that being 2nd string better prepares you to play than the scout team, I just think it is almost always better for a true freshman to redshirt, learn the system, get comfortable with your surroundings, and get to know your teammates before you are thrown to the fire. Especially at QB. A lot of QB's who step in as freshman and have amazing success redshirted (i believe), such as Winston and Manziel.

I'm not trying to say POB isn't good, I just think some of you guys are getting way too hyped on him.

My only take away I want to see this spring is quality depth. For too many years we have all heard about the gap between the 1's and 2's. Great starters goes a long way, but quality depth across the board brings home the championships. Until we see little to no drop off in depth, we will continue to be a 9-10 win team (or less) regardless of coach or scheme IMHO.

My only take away I want to see this spring is quality depth. For too many years we have all heard about the gap between the 1's and 2's. Great starters goes a long way, but quality depth across the board brings home the championships. Until we see little to no drop off in depth, we will continue to be a 9-10 win team (or less) regardless of coach or scheme IMHO.

agree, just don't expect to see it yet.........lots of new guys especially on the line.....

I am usually excited to see the skill positions, but this year I am really looking forward to seeing the young guns on the O and D line. I am really optimistic we have some real talent. Admittedly thin, but great potential,for sure. Also think Coach Parrella can be the difference maker we have really been missing on the defensive side of the ball with his attitude, passion, and getting "it".

On a side note, I wonder how Blackshirts will be handled this year with an actual Blackshirt on staff.

That was my thought as well.

Going to say that if Lee is the bridge, we're in a world of hurt.

That was my thought as well.

Going to say that if Lee is the bridge, we're in a world of hurt.

I'm thinking with TA and Fyfe graduating, Lee is an insurance policy as a backup for POB. Not sure if AJ will ever see the field.

Of the top of my head, this is a pretty good list of QBs who redshirted year one and started year 2 as a redshirt freshman:

Sam Bradford

Andrew Luck

Jameis Winston

Marcus Mariota

Johnny Manziel

JT Barrett

Taylor Martinez ;)

I am sure there are others that started as redshirt freshman and flamed out, but having POB redshirt isn't a bad thing.

• Fire 2

I guess I just don't think that it's a given that POB steps in and is immediately better than Fyfe, let alone TA. I think POB will be 3rd string, and I don't see why you wouldn't redshirt a freshman 3rd string QB. Even if he's 2nd string, is the gap so large between him and Fyfe that it's worth losing him for a year? Obviously injuries can change all of this, but TA has been durable throughout his career so I'm going to assume he'll stay healthy.

I buy the idea that being 2nd string better prepares you to play than the scout team, I just think it is almost always better for a true freshman to redshirt, learn the system, get comfortable with your surroundings, and get to know your teammates before you are thrown to the fire. Especially at QB. A lot of QB's who step in as freshman and have amazing success redshirted (i believe), such as Winston and Manziel.

I'm not trying to say POB isn't good, I just think some of you guys are getting way too hyped on him.

Are you speaking more in generalities or directly to my post? The "you guys" threw me off because my post was pretty even keeled and mostly in agreement with your previous post. I have very little expectations for POB right now.

However, to balance that out, he is a highly touted recruit. He was also the top QB prospect this staff went after. I think that leaves room for the expectation that this guy will play and be a significant contributor for Nebraska at some point. It would not be good, for the sake of a program, to have a player like that eventually fail to pan out.