Recent Recruiting Success & Failure

Recruiting is on track to assembler a SUPER class; perhaps the best in a generation! It is very early BUT the start is incredible. Imagine as the momentum builds and the great players join one by one, two by two until the numbers exceed 15! Then as the number of spots dwindle down, the 5 star players who see the chance to jump aboard this new super train will make their move or miss the greatest chance of their lifetimes.

I think we need to be as creative and aggressive in recruiting as possible.

But we should also have a monopoly on every recruit-worthy player in the state, because that's just our thing.

There is no reason we shouldn't be able to bring in the top 5 recruits in state every year if we want them. It should be a goal.

Wasn't Larry Station also a nebraska kid that went to Iowa?

Agree that should be the goal but our in-state pipeline has always had some leaks. Junior Bryant from Creighton Prep in the early 90s was one that always stuck with me. Great HS DE/DL but chose Notre Dame. Can't blame him but would have loved to see him in Lincoln...

The funny part about this thread is that CM husker is the only one backing up his statements with numbers. The rest of it is just butt hurt sunshine pumpers.

What numbers? The blatantly obvious Nebraska born roster numbers from the 90's? What a revelation, we had a strong walk on program. Then he goes on to say our S&C was at best on par with the top 30-40 programs and our in state talent is what got us there, not the S&C.

All that is how he justifies pissing and moaning about us recruiting highly rated recruits from California because in his mind that won't work here because this is NEBRASKA and we are supposed to still do the same sh#t TO did or we won't be successful!

Well, Frank tried to emulate TO with less emphasis on recruiting. How did that work out? Oh wait, best not to bring that up...

Dude, just imagine if we could land every instate recruit each year. We'd have 105 Ahman Greens out there whooping ass and winning titles.

105 running backs on the team? Hmm..interesting concept...

We're all guilty of living in the moment, but in my opinion, this is one of the most (if not the most) substantial recruits Nebraska has brought in for a long time. I don't say that because I have high expectations of greatness for him - I just say that because his name carries a lot of weight and influence. He's got friends that are being recruited to Nebraska that may now give us harder looks and consideration. There are coaches and players all over the country, who don't even know him personally, that are today saying 'woah... Nebraska got Keyshawn's son??'

And hey, if he ends up being extremely productive for us then that's great and what really matters =).

This recruitment reminded me so much of Andrus Peat, well except the whole good guys won part. I am a lot more comfortable today with the Riley hire. Him & his staff have done a better job recruiting then I remember Pelini ever doing. The last class had a very bad end with no DL's in it, but Riley was quick to do what needed to be done. My only concern with him/staff now is play calling & really we have only seen 1 season of play calling.

I feel the same way except for the play calling. I want to see what the offense is like when we have a QB that listens to his coaches and doesn't turn the ball over trying to play hero ball.

Some keep wanting to put this on Tommy. But if you look at it historically, Tommy's first year performance was essentially the best of any new starter in a Riley system.

Is it at all possible that the nature of the system is to blame for first year struggles as much as any perceived individual shortcomings?

Tommy Armstrong himself said that he needed to listen to his coaches and stop trying to win the game by himself.

We're all guilty of living in the moment, but in my opinion, this is one of the most (if not the most) substantial recruits Nebraska has brought in for a long time. I don't say that because I have high expectations of greatness for him - I just say that because his name carries a lot of weight and influence. He's got friends that are being recruited to Nebraska that may now give us harder looks and consideration. There are coaches and players all over the country, who don't even know him personally, that are today saying 'woah... Nebraska got Keyshawn's son??'

And hey, if he ends up being extremely productive for us then that's great and what really matters =).

This recruitment reminded me so much of Andrus Peat, well except the whole good guys won part. I am a lot more comfortable today with the Riley hire. Him & his staff have done a better job recruiting then I remember Pelini ever doing. The last class had a very bad end with no DL's in it, but Riley was quick to do what needed to be done. My only concern with him/staff now is play calling & really we have only seen 1 season of play calling.

I feel the same way except for the play calling. I want to see what the offense is like when we have a QB that listens to his coaches and doesn't turn the ball over trying to play hero ball.

Some keep wanting to put this on Tommy. But if you look at it historically, Tommy's first year performance was essentially the best of any new starter in a Riley system.

Is it at all possible that the nature of the system is to blame for first year struggles as much as any perceived individual shortcomings?

Tommy Armstrong himself said that he needed to listen to his coaches and stop trying to win the game by himself.

A problem apparently shared by 11 other first time starters in that system, including at least a couple of NFL caliber guys.

Facts are facts.

I appreciate Tommy for taking it upon himself, but, historically speaking, there's not a lot of evidence that another first timer in the system would have had more success (in fact, no others did, even though most had the benefit of teammates that had been in the system for a while).

• Fire 1