RIP Satellite camps - Back from the Dead (4/28/16)

What this basically tells me is that the NCAA believes programs/conferences basically own the recruiting area around them. So, anything that makes it easier for a program to reach out and get to know kids in areas not right around them...well....that just needs to get stopped right now.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here. But, this accomplishes two things.

1) Hurts competitiveness of schools and conferences not in recruiting hot beds.

2) Hurts the kids who can't afford to travel all over the country on their own dime.

I honestly fail to see how the NCAA views this as a good decision. What possible reasoning could they even dream up that this isn't favoritism towards certain programs and holds back many student athletes?

Even in their demented/warmed/corrupted minds, they have to have some form of reasoning that they are going to put out to the public. I can't wait to see what they make up.

If satellite camps are allowed, everyone has to do it to keep up. Not everyone can. College football might descend into a disaster scenario of haves and have nots. The horror!

If satellite camps are allowed, everyone has to do it to keep up. Not everyone can. College football might descend into a disaster scenario of haves and have nots. The horror!

What you're describing is an "arms race" for those Haves & Have Nots, but we've been existing in such a race for a century, or ever since the first dedicated stadiums existed for football. Everything the school can control from sponsorships to training tables to tutors to practice facilities are involved. Smaller schools like Kansas State already can't keep up with the Nebraskas of the world, and there's no way to legislate to level that field.

So this really isn't about Haves vs. Have Nots. It's about the SEC, ACC, Big XII and Pac-12 hoarding the players who live in their boundaries, cutting off their access to other schools to keep them "where they belong."

Mike Leach is still awesome.

“It appears that the selfish interests of a few schools and conferences prevailed over the best interests of future potential student-athletes,” WSU coach Mike Leach said in a text message to the Seattle Times. “The mission of universities and athletic programs should be to provide future student-athletes with exposure to opportunities, not to limit them. It appears to me that some universities and conferences are willing to sacrifice the interests of potential student-athletes for no better reasons than to selfishly monopolize their recruiting bases.
“I will be fascinated to hear any legitimate reasoning behind this ruling. We need to rethink this if we are actually what we say we are.”

• Fire 4

Mike Leach is still awesome.

“It appears that the selfish interests of a few schools and conferences prevailed over the best interests of future potential student-athletes,” WSU coach Mike Leach said in a text message to the Seattle Times. “The mission of universities and athletic programs should be to provide future student-athletes with exposure to opportunities, not to limit them. It appears to me that some universities and conferences are willing to sacrifice the interests of potential student-athletes for no better reasons than to selfishly monopolize their recruiting bases.
“I will be fascinated to hear any legitimate reasoning behind this ruling. We need to rethink this if we are actually what we say we are.”

Is there anything better than a very smart, very successful person that "gets it" and is not "scared"...I love it!

What is next...banning HUDL?

The remote campus doesn't work. The rule specifically requires that any field used to host camps must be one that is regularly used for practice or competition.

Okay...now, what if your "regular field" is under construction? What then?

I know you don't know, it just seems like there is about a billion loopholes.

If 9 coaches from the same staff show up at a public park in Miami, how could there be any issue with that if some high school kids happen to show up?

Contrast that with:

Who is the NCAA trying to protect here? It isn't the students, that's for damned sure.

I don't understand either. What reasoning did the NCAA provide for the rule change? How does a satellite camp hurt any student athlete? The camps allow athletes being recruited to have more information about more schools, and allows players who are not recruited to have a chance at getting noticed, and to have an experience they will remember for the rest of their lives. What can be done about this fiasco? Lawsuit? Leave the NCAA?

The remote campus doesn't work. The rule specifically requires that any field used to host camps must be one that is regularly used for practice or competition.

If 9 coaches from the same staff show up at a public park in Miami, how could there be any issue with that if some high school kids happen to show up?

Why can't we officially pay rent and declare that such and such a facility will be our "regular" field during the 2nd and 3rd week of July. Sign a 4 year contract to make it "regular".

Why can't we officially pay rent and declare that such and such a facility will be our "regular" field during the 2nd and 3rd week of July. Sign a 4 year contract to make it "regular".

Exactly! What if you don't charge for it? Does that matter or no? What if the High School in the area invites you? I am totally confused by the parameters of this.

Just a question out of curiosity.

What satellite camps (when & where) has Nebraska done this in the past? Is this something that we were regularly participating in?

Texas, Florida and California last summer. I dont know if they had any planned for this year or not. But we found Dicaprio Bootle in Miami last year at one of them.