OWH: OC Danny Langsdorf: 'Frustrating' moments from quarterbacks in spring game

unfortunately BTN didn't show the 4th quarter so saw nothing of POB. The most interesting thing for me was going to be watching him. LOL

based on the portions I was able to watch, I would have to say the team seems more organized and less error prone in general this spring. As Riley put it last year: "It looked a little like football!" This year looked more like organized football. I think we need about 6 more weeks of daily practice with about 5 more live action scrimmages and then we'd be ready for a good summer of conditioning and drills, followed by sharpening up in fall camp to be really prepared for a great fall opener.

Practice, practice, practice! Follow up with a bunch more practice. Then we'll be ready for prime time. I think we'd compete with almost every team on the schedule, including the buckys.

unfortunately BTN didn't show the 4th quarter so saw nothing of POB. The most interesting thing for me was going to be watching him. LOL

based on the portions I was able to watch, I would have to say the team seems more organized and less error prone in general this spring. As Riley put it last year: "It looked a little like football!" This year looked more like organized football. I think we need about 6 more weeks of daily practice with about 5 more live action scrimmages and then we'd be ready for a good summer of conditioning and drills, followed by sharpening up in fall camp to be really prepared for a great fall opener.

Practice, practice, practice! Follow up with a bunch more practice. Then we'll be ready for prime time. I think we'd compete with almost every team on the schedule, including the buckys.

You do realize that they can't have any more "practices" that are led by coaches. Yes, all teams would be better with more practices, but the team can't practice year-round.

TA, like TM before him is magic in a bottle. One step or cut away from doing something amazing. He is also prone to mistakes, prone to throw picks and prone to being sacked instead of throwing it away.

My hope, from this spring game, last season and the coming fall is that Langs and Riley can find 3-5 pass plays that TA can do in his sleep. 1-2 reads tops and dump to the safety valve. Just simple sand lot catch and pitch. If w try to really use a legitimate passing attack, with multiple route trees, reads, timing etc, IMO, we are in for a long year.

TA is a beast with the ball in his hands. If running. To date, he is not respected enough to be a passing threat. Pound the ball, make the safeties creep up in run support or to spy TA and then PA off the run to a simple 1-1 route.

• Fire 1

While I generally can agree with your assessment and suggestions, I don't think it's realistic to expect these coaches to jettison their system and learn a new one for Armstrong, as dynamic as he is. Now, if they were to wholesale go for the new system, incorporating zone read and a Meyer/Herman system, I would love that. But based on their recruiting so far, I don't see it happening.

I think TA will be asked to do things that are tough for any CFB offense. And he'll continue to struggle at times and be much maligned. Just like Frazier, Frost or Crouch would have had they been ask to run this offense. Point is, you can be capable of being a productive college quarterback and still struggle in this type of system.

New QB recruits or not, I just really do wonder how we expect to be better than a hackenburg led PSU offense or Cook led MSU offense with that system.

• Fire 1

TA, like TM before him is magic in a bottle. One step or cut away from doing something amazing. He is also prone to mistakes, prone to throw picks and prone to being sacked instead of throwing it away.

My hope, from this spring game, last season and the coming fall is that Langs and Riley can find 3-5 pass plays that TA can do in his sleep. 1-2 reads tops and dump to the safety valve. Just simple sand lot catch and pitch. If w try to really use a legitimate passing attack, with multiple route trees, reads, timing etc, IMO, we are in for a long year.

TA is a beast with the ball in his hands. If running. To date, he is not respected enough to be a passing threat. Pound the ball, make the safeties creep up in run support or to spy TA and then PA off the run to a simple 1-1 route.

I have to agree with this. Just look at TA's stats in the spring game

6 attempts for 120 yards ... rushing!

15 attempts for 80 yards passing :(

If I an an opposing defensive coordinator, I do everything I can to stop the primary receiver and make TA check down and stay in the pocket. Bad things usually happen in these circumstances. When TA takes off running he is a monster. The coaches can't be concerned about TA getting hurt. If his running is stifled, he is no longer a special QB.

You do realize that they can't have any more "practices" that are led by coaches. Yes, all teams would be better with more practices, but the team can't practice year-round.

You people are difficult to converse with at times. Rather simple minded or something. Of course we all know the number of formal practices are set by rules. The players have to organize themselves as has been the case for decades. That is what captains and leaders and seniors do. If these guys are not continuing to work on things throughout the year, it is no wonder we look unprepared come fall.

You people are difficult to converse with at times. Rather simple minded or something. Of course we all know the number of formal practices are set by rules. The players have to organize themselves as has been the case for decades. That is what captains and leaders and seniors do. If these guys are not continuing to work on things throughout the year, it is no wonder we look unprepared come fall.

You could have just clarified what you meant without the derogatory comment.

• Fire 1

thanks for sharing your superior intellect........ :facepalm:

• Fire 1

Hopefully players check out their equipment and have fully organized (By the players) full contact scrimmages...

Wow

Tommy -- hey guys, get off the couches, it's time for our full contact scrimmage!!!

Westercamp -- man, I just started this game on my PS4

Tommy -- you don't understand, the internet message boards are saying we need to do full contact scrimmages and practice every day without the coaches around.

The best thing yesterday, by far and away, was the lack of turnovers.

I think we can also feel really confident saying TA will be the starter come fall. The amount of reps each respective QB had says a lot, particularly that POB didn't see a snap until late into the second half. You can't say never, but right now, it would appear TA has a clear advantage.

The best attribute of a dual-threat quarterback is, of course, what they're able to do with their arms and feet. TA can make the occasional drop-back error or missed throw, but he also has to be able to do what he did yesterday and make plays in the run game. If he can make fewer passing mistakes this next season (which is sounds like he is progressing in) and still make big plays with his feet, then I feel pretty good about where we're at.