Listening to Bennings Description of His Interview with Langs

I think everyone should stop talking about recruiting, Frank, Bo, Bill, etc.. since they aren't relevant to the topic. Instead, spend 30-45 minutes of your time listening to this podcast. It's much more informational than anything opinions in this thread, and a better use of time than reliving the Frank Solich Saga®.

I would highly suggest that anyone remotely interested in this topic listen to last week's OWH Pick Six podcast.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/pick-six-podcast-nu-s-identity-on-offense-armstrong-s/article_ae9e16a4-0678-11e6-8b05-9fca310911ca.html

Sam and Jon had a very interesting discussion about this very thing.

Surprise... Surprise...

The discussion on those podcasts obviously agrees 100% with what CM HUSKER has been saying throughout this entire thread.

I know the fairy tale fans don't like the truth being told so they will probably choke if they watch those videos (they wont because they have contempt for the truth and reality) but there is a whole lot of truth and reality being spoken in those videos.

The first video is pretty much nonstop criticism of the coaching staff, our lack of identity on offense and defense and a boatload of criticism of players and assistant coaches. The second video is pretty much more of the same.

Of course the fairy tale fans want anyone who speaks the truth or who says those things here... banned.

If the people who tell the truth and are informed... are all banned... then what's left will be a bunch of deluded fairy tale fans living in a make believe world... speaking nonsense to each other.

There is nothing more infantile than a bunch of selfish babies screaming for anyone who says something they don't like to be banned. What a bunch of bs.

I disagree. Sam and Jon's discussion is much more nuanced than simply bashing the staff. They realize that there's a lot more "grey area" involved than what people want to believe.

Saunders45... thanks for posting the link to those videos and the comments I'm about to make are not directed at you.

There was nothing subtle about those videos.

In the second video Sam says that some prominent players needed to be... and I paraphrase.... "kicked in the seat of the pants, and then kicked in the seat of the pants over and over"...

I will go one step further. Because the coaches did not kick them in the seat of the pants... then the coaches should have been kicked in the seat of the pants because they were not doing there job any more than the players. And in fact the entire athletic department needs to be kicked in the seat of the pants.

And if someone here had made those comments... the entire fairy tale hoard here would have been up in arms and wanting that person banned for saying such "negative" things.

This whole baby game of trying to get members banned because they have told some truth the babies don't like, is totally out of control.

To the bolded. No....there were plenty who have criticized coaching staffs without a problem. I was one of them.

I think everyone should stop talking about recruiting, Frank, Bo, Bill, etc.. since they aren't relevant to the topic. Instead, spend 30-45 minutes of your time listening to this podcast. It's much more informational than anything opinions in this thread, and a better use of time than reliving the Frank Solich Saga®.

I would highly suggest that anyone remotely interested in this topic listen to last week's OWH Pick Six podcast.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/pick-six-podcast-nu-s-identity-on-offense-armstrong-s/article_ae9e16a4-0678-11e6-8b05-9fca310911ca.html

Surprise... Surprise...

The discussion on those podcasts obviously agrees 100% with what CM HUSKER has been saying throughout this entire thread.

I know the fairy tale fans don't like the truth being told so they will probably choke if they watch those videos (they wont because they have contempt for the truth and reality) but there is a whole lot of truth and reality being spoken in those videos.

The first video is pretty much nonstop criticism of the coaching staff, our lack of identity on offense and defense and a boatload of criticism of players and assistant coaches. The second video is pretty much more of the same.

Of course the fairy tale fans want anyone who speaks the truth or who says those things here... banned.

If the people who tell the truth and are informed... are all banned... then what's left will be a bunch of deluded fairy tale fans living in a make believe world... speaking nonsense to each other.

There is nothing more infantile than a bunch of selfish babies screaming for anyone who says something they don't like to be banned. What a bunch of bs.

I disagree. Sam and Jon's discussion is much more nuanced than simply bashing the staff. They realize that there's a lot more "grey area" involved than what people want to believe.

Saunders45... thanks for posting the link to those videos The comments I'm about to make are not directed at you.

In the second video Sam says that some prominent players needed to be... and I paraphrase.... "kicked in the seat of the pants, and then kicked in the seat of the pants over and over"...

I will go one step further. Because the coaches did not kick them in the seat of the pants... then the coaches should have been kicked in the seat of the pants because they were not doing there job any more than the players. And in fact the entire athletic department needs to be kicked in the seat of the pants.

And if someone here had made those comments... the entire fairy tale hoard here would have been up in arms and wanting that person banned for saying such "negative" things.

This whole baby game of trying to get members banned because they have told some truth the babies don't like, is totally out of control.

pretty sure 1 of those coaches was kicked in the seat of his pants.

• Fire 2

Criticism of Riley's and Langsdorf's offense is fair. Yes, they probably don't have all the necessary talent that they need to run their ideal system, but coaches need to be able to put their players in a position to succeed. There were a lot of times last year where that wasn't done with the offense.

All I'd like to know in this thread is, "what is their ideal system?"

Looks like it's "pass to set up the run" in which the QB completes at least 5% more of his throws and half the interceptions as Tommy -- which is not a huge ask. Run heavier after you force the defense of the box, and include QB, FB and TE as running weapons. Keep using WR jet sweeps as plays or just dekes to manipulate a linebacker or two. Put the ball in the hands of your most dangerous playmakers, in this case Tommy Armstrong, Jordan Westerkamp and what should have been Demornay Peirson-El, but adjusted to the emergence of Brandon Riley and Stanley Morgan, Jr. An ideal system would have had a better featured running back than Cross or Newby, who were decent but not such dangerous playmakers. Ozigbo, Wilbon or Newby himself might make the case for more carries next season. The offensive line needs to step up regardless of the system and play call.

I think Riley came to Nebraska because he wanted to do something different with better resources. We'll see.

Surprise... Surprise...

Saunders45... thanks for posting the link to those videos The comments I'm about to make are not directed at you.

That one coach was not responsible for Nebraska's problems last year... they ALL were responsible.

That one coach was not responsible for clock management or for 3rd down play calling.

Surprise... Surprise...

That one coach was not responsible for Nebraska's problems last year... they ALL were responsible.

That one coach was not responsible for clock management or for 3rd down play calling.

we should just fire all our coaches every year?

Surprise... Surprise...

3rd down play calling? Are you talking about the same team that was 3rd in the B1G (and 24th in the country) in 3rd down conversions?

Surprise... Surprise...

No... we should ban anyone who dares to tell the truth about what's going on...

Including Sam and Jon.

In fact we should ban any person on the planet who dares to speak the truth about our football program... and just let the babies take over.

Surprise... Surprise...

No... we should ban anyone who dares to tell the truth about what's going on...

Including Sam and Jon.

In fact we should ban any person on the planet who dares to speak the truth about our football program... and just let the babies take over.

lol. i have no idea where you are heading now.

Surprise... Surprise...

3rd down play calling? Are you talking about the same team that was 3rd in the B1G (and 24th in the country) in 3rd down conversions?

I'm talking about the same team Sam and Jon are talking about in those videos.

They talked at length about third down play calling in the first video... and a lot more.

Criticism of Riley's and Langsdorf's offense is fair. Yes, they probably don't have all the necessary talent that they need to run their ideal system, but coaches need to be able to put their players in a position to succeed. There were a lot of times last year where that wasn't done with the offense.

All I'd like to know in this thread is, "what is their ideal system?"

Looks like it's "pass to set up the run" in which the QB completes at least 5% more of his throws and half the interceptions as Tommy -- which is not a huge ask. Run heavier after you force the defense of the box, and include QB, FB and TE as running weapons. Keep using WR jet sweeps as plays or just dekes to manipulate a linebacker or two. Put the ball in the hands of your most dangerous playmakers, in this case Tommy Armstrong, Jordan Westerkamp and what should have been Demornay Peirson-El, but adjusted to the emergence of Brandon Riley and Stanley Morgan, Jr. An ideal system would have had a better featured running back than Cross or Newby, who were decent but not such dangerous playmakers. Ozigbo, Wilbon or Newby himself might make the case for more carries next season. The offensive line needs to step up regardless of the system and play call.

I think Riley came to Nebraska because he wanted to do something different with better resources. We'll see.

That's a pretty good post, Guy.

I think what we might say is that this staff wants to be "modular" (I want to get away from "multiple" because all offenses want to be able to do a multitude of things; TO wanted to be efficient in the passing game, as it complimented what we did in the running game. He just thought that by forcing a defense to account for certain things in the run game, like a mobile QB, option and counter looks, you would "clean up" the reads in the passing game).

So, what does "modular" mean? I think it was pretty accurately summed up on the videocast, and I think Jon did a good job touching on the problems with such an approach.

Modular means you look to create mismatches based on personnel groupings, so you have different "packages" week to week or season to season to exploit the mismatches that you identify during your game planning. I've posted with you ad nauseam why I think that's a tough approach for college kids, so I won't go into that again. I'll just say that even if a lot of teams do it, I'd argue that most aren't that great at it. I'd have to go back and look at the numbers, but I'd bet that approach rarely lands a team in the top 10 or 15 of NCAA offenses by total or scoring.

The "system" based offenses tend to look to create mismatches in terms of numbers, either in the passing game or running game, which is why the approach changed less drastically week to week. Yes, you have to change your blocking schemes and considerations when you are facing an odd versus even front, but that's not the same as saying "our X receiver can beat their Y db, so we will install this package for him to get involved" or even the installation of a different screen pass package for defenses that attack differently.

In some ways, the "system" approach really puts the onus on the defense to change what they are doing in order to stop the "gimmick." That's why you often hear about the "pressure to prepare for an option based offense" being tougher than the week to week pressures of preparing to face a "regular" pro style offense.

I think, as was mentioned in the video, it's great in theory to be "modular" and have all these tools in the box to attack a D based on what they decide to do. I just think it's actually really really hard, week to week within the realities of CFB to do that well.

Whatever; I guess we'll see how it plays out. I just really despise seeing a very talented roster of offensive players get scapegoated. I hope people don't try that again this season (and even more so that they don't have any need to).

• Fire 3

Surprise... Surprise...

You are correct. The responsibility falls on about 100 players, 1 HC and about 8 assistants coaches.