The General Election

I want to know that too. And calling Trump an insane moron doesn't mean I think everyone who voted for him is that.

EVERY supposed illegal vote was cast for Clinton? NONE for Trump? And if the account of the meeting is true, it's based on the story of one non-citizen who saw people who "looked" like they shouldn't be able to vote? (i.e. Hispanic). Ugh.

If this investigation is done by a private company we could be in deep sh#t because we already know what they'll say the results are.

Ahhh yes, I read that story tonight to. What she's talking about a story that Glenn Thrush did for the NYTimes detailing a meeting Trump had with Congressional GOP members. Here's a good Vox story about what went down.

From the original Times report:

Mr. [bernhard] Langer, a 59-year-old native of Bavaria, Germany — a winner of the Masters twice and of more than 100 events on major professional golf tours around the world — was standing in line at a polling place near his home in Florida on Election Day, the president explained, when an official informed Mr. Langer he would not be able to vote.

Ahead of and behind Mr. Langer were voters who did not look as if they should be allowed to vote, Mr. Trump said, according to the staff members — but they were nonetheless permitted to cast provisional ballots. The president threw out the names of Latin American countries that the voters might have come from.

Mr. Langer, whom he described as a supporter, left feeling frustrated, according to a version of events later contradicted by a White House official.

I heard a LOT from lots of my friends on the right and Trump supporters themselves that he won because America is tired of -isms. Obama was such a charismatic and intelligent guy that perhaps during the last part of his presidency, he did focus too much on -isms and social policy instead of economic issues. Lord knows he's caught plenty of heat from conservatives for -isms.

But, holy crap, the bolded is astounding. That definitely reads to me as a President of the United States who is completely comfortable in his blatant racism. Is no one in our Congressional ranks going to have the chutzpah required to say that to him? To tell him it's not alright for our president to be saying such things?

OK...I'm absolutely totally baffled by this story.

So....just so I understand this. Trump spoke to Congressional leaders on Monday. While doing so, he told a story of Langer standing in line trying to vote and was turned away. Trump then went on to express that he (a white man) was turned away while others "who didn't look like they should be able to vote" because they were hispanic....were indeed allowed to vote.

And Trump is using this story to explain his need to investigate voter fraud?

And...this has been verified by congressional leaders or staff who were present???

Do I understand this correctly?

So....just so I understand this. Trump spoke to Congressional leaders on Monday. While doing so, he told a story of Langer standing in line trying to vote and was turned away. Trump then went on to express that he (a white man) was turned away while others "who didn't look like they should be able to vote" because they were hispanic....were indeed allowed to vote.

And...this has been verified by congressional leaders or staff who were present???

From the NYT

The witnesses described the story this way: Mr. Langer, a 59-year-old native of Bavaria, Germany — a winner of the Masters twice and of more than 100 events on major professional golf tours around the world — was standing in line at a polling place near his home in Florida on Election Day, the president explained, when an official informed Mr. Langer he would not be able to vote.

Ahead of and behind Mr. Langer were voters who did not look as if they should be allowed to vote, Mr. Trump said, according to the staff members — but they were nonetheless permitted to cast provisional ballots. The president threw out the names of Latin American countries that the voters might have come from.

Mr. Langer, whom he described as a supporter, left feeling frustrated, according to a version of events later contradicted by a White House official.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/us/politics/trump-bernhard-langer-voting-fraud.html?_r=4&referer=https://t.co/MU5TAHryYL

Also, it may have been a friend of Langer who told the story:

The three witnesses recalled Mr. Langer being the protagonist of the story, although a White House official claimed the president had been telling a story relayed to the golfer by one of Mr. Langer’s friends.

• Fire 1

Nope, I'm pretty sure you're reading that right. At least that is what Thrush is reporting. He's a pretty good journalist, and the NYTimes is no joke. I certainly trust either of them more than I trust what Trump says.

But here's the rub. Apparently Paul Ryan is back to doing his little two-step.

"No, I don't think there's widespread fraud. But I think an investigation is certainly fine."

Sadly, the party of fiscal responsibility blowing taxpayer funds on useless investigations is nothing new. But I think there's something more nefarious going on here.

Paul Ryan is going to sit idly by with his sh#t-eating Ayn Rand-reading grin because he knows they can use this as an excuse to further undermine American voting rights. He's not going to stand in the way not because he thinks this is right for the integrity of our voting process, but because he knows he and others can harness the impulsiveness of their newly-crowned leader in order to further rig the voting process for his team.

So much for acting as a check on Trump.

• Fire 1

From the NYT

The witnesses described the story this way: Mr. Langer, a 59-year-old native of Bavaria, Germany — a winner of the Masters twice and of more than 100 events on major professional golf tours around the world — was standing in line at a polling place near his home in Florida on Election Day, the president explained, when an official informed Mr. Langer he would not be able to vote.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/us/politics/trump-bernhard-langer-voting-fraud.html?_r=4&referer=https://t.co/MU5TAHryYL

Also, it may have been a friend of Langer who told the story:

The three witnesses recalled Mr. Langer being the protagonist of the story, although a White House official claimed the president had been telling a story relayed to the golfer by one of Mr. Langer’s friends.

So Trump is going to launch an investigation into massive, widespread, debunked voter fraud based on evidence that boils down to "I know a guy..."

FKagmXu.gif

• Fire 2

Should CNN and other news agencies be reporting on this Phillips guy at all?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/27/politics/gregg-phillips-voter-fraud-donald-trump-cnntv/index.html

Having an app where people report voter feaud makes any of his conclusions a bunch of bullsh#t. It's the same as anti-vaxx studies that use VAERs. With VAERs anyone can report the cause of their child's death. So if they disagrew with the doctors they can still put whatever they want, and as such a lot of people put vaccines because they're hears they're bad and they're in mourning and want something to blame.

Many non White are going to report any non-White people as illegal voters.

As for the bigger picture, it's extremely disturbing to me that the president doesn't know a thing about scientific research. He looks for the result he wants and regardless of whether the methodology he believes it and spouts off, and unfortunately for the sane among us, his sheep believe it.

I don't think he should be getting air time at all until he shares the evidence. This guy is just stoking the fire like Comey did with the letter - we've seen that the simple suggestion that something exists, mentioned once (or 32 times on Fox/Brietbart) is enough to convince rote followers that it's true information.

And I couldn't agree with you more Moraine on Trumps lack of ability to discern fact from fiction, and to dig into fact to see the real information. He belief (as proven in his recent interview with Muir) is that "why did they publish it if it isn't true?", which is just evidence to what Gannon and others have put into hit head.