The General Election

J F'n C

Reading about Lindsey Graham telling Trump to "knock it off", I ran apart this snippet:

But in an interview Tuesday with NBC's Hallie Jackson, Trump supporter Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, insisted "there is data out there" to back up the president's claim — but said he believes the figure was closer to 2.4 million.

King said he came up with the figure by doing "an extrapolation calculation on how many illegals could have or could be voting in the United States."

"So it's plausible the number, three million sounds like it's a plausible number to me," he said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/gop-senator-president-trump-stop-claiming-illegals-cost-you-popular-n711386

I mean WTF. These people are elected officials.

• Fire 2

J F'n C

Reading about Lindsey Graham telling Trump to "knock it off", I ran apart this snippet:

But in an interview Tuesday with NBC's Hallie Jackson, Trump supporter Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, insisted "there is data out there" to back up the president's claim — but said he believes the figure was closer to 2.4 million.

King said he came up with the figure by doing "an extrapolation calculation on how many illegals could have or could be voting in the United States."

"So it's plausible the number, three million sounds like it's a plausible number to me," he said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/gop-senator-president-trump-stop-claiming-illegals-cost-you-popular-n711386

Iowa.

• Fire 1

J F'n C

For the record, Steve King:

Used to be my rep when I lived in Iowa. Thank goodness I got out of there.

I think he's going to put out a 3rd tweet talking about how he's going to open an investigation on how a foreign country influenced your election as well - just hasn't gotten around to it.

Seriously - I think this attempt to prove himself right is going to open up a big can of worms. Cuz we know he's wrong/exagerating and then he'll choose to never make public the outcome of this investigation - news has to stay on top of him asking daily for updates.

Sober minds, like Jake Tapper in that clip I posted above, immediately realized that Trump's claim of massive voter fraud, if true, would be one of the biggest scandals in American election history. It would warrant a massive investigation to uncover the conspiracy of hundreds, if not thousands of election workers across dozens of states it would take to allow such a thing to happen.

Trump was more concerned with getting people to believe his lie than thinking about the ramifications of his lie - typical of liars and criminals, which is why law enforcement catches them. This is his problem: His ego trumps reason, and he fires off these tweets without thinking when his ego is damaged.

So, let's take a look at the ramifications of this claim. It calls into question the entire election - including his results, which hinge on a few wins in a few swing states. Trump claims there were two or three million illegal votes cast. What if any of those illegal votes were cast in Florida and Pennsylvania?

Trump won Florida by 112,911 votes. If the "two or three million" votes he's claiming were cast illegally, only 5% of the total alleged "illegal votes" would have had to be cast in his favor from Florida for him to have won.

Trump won Pennsylvania by 44,292 votes. Only 2% of the total alleged "illegal votes" would have had to be cast in his favor from Pennsylvania for him to have won.

Seven percent of the total alleged "illegal votes" being overturned are all it would take to delegitimize Trump's win. That's less than one tenth of one percent of ALL votes cast in this election.

This really is something Trump needs to let go. He's wrong - there is no voter fraud on a massive scale like this - and if he's somehow magically right, the scales could be tipped in a way that he won't like very, very easily.

• Fire 1