The General Election

Shock Poll :o Rasmussen has Trump up by 6 in nationwide, likely voters poll.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/white_house_watch

white_house_watch_07_14_16.jpg

Clinton has cited her experience as a U.S. senator and secretary of State as making her more qualified for the presidency than Trump who has spent his life in private business. But voters now rate Clinton and Trump equally when it comes to their preparedness for the White House. Thats a noticeable shift in Trumps favor from April when voters were nearly twice as likely to view Clinton as better qualified than her GOP opponent.

Trump now has the support of 80% of Republicans and 13% of Democrats. Clinton earns just 72% of the Democratic vote and picks up five percent (5%) of Republicans. Among voters not affiliated with either major party, Trump leads by 13 points, but 27% of these voters either like another candidate or are undecided.

Perhaps more troubling for Clinton is that she now trails by 17 points among white voters after the murder last week of five white policemen in Dallas which Trump has attributed to anti-police rhetoric by President Obama, Clinton and others. This is a noticeably wider gap than we have seen previously, while her support among black and other minority voters remains unchanged.

The survey of 1,000 Likely Voters was conducted on July 12-13, 2016 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

Democrats, however, are much more confident than Republicans that their presidential nominee will help their congressional candidates win in November.

Clinton is now the candidate with the bigger gender gap problem. She leads by eight points among women voters, but Trump posts a 21-point lead among men.

The Republican continues to lead among those 40 and over, but the candidates are now tied among younger voters. Still, those under 40 are also far more likely than their elders to like another candidate or be undecided.

Trump leads among voters in all income groups now except those who earn under $30,000 a year.

As recently as last week, Trump and Clinton were running neck-and-neck if Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson was added to the ballot.

Clinton was endorsed this week by her primary rival, Senator Bernie Sanders. Forty-four percent (44%) of Likely Democratic Voters told Rasmussen Reports late last month that they would vote for Sanders if he was on the ballot this November, but just 24% said they were more likely to vote for Clinton because of Sanders endorsement.

Fifty-five percent (55%) of whites and 52% of other minority voters now think there is a war on police in America, but only 31% of blacks agree. However, 60% of all voters think comments critical of the police made by some politicians make it more dangerous for police officers to do their job.

Democrats are a lot more enthusiastic about Clintons plan for so-called free college than other Americans are, but all agree that taxpayers will be the ones who pick up the tab.

An ABC News survey this week confirmed what Rasmussen Reports first reported a week ago: Most voters disagree with the FBIs decision not to seek a felony indictment of Clinton for mishandling classified information while serving as secretary of State.

Yes and they are tied according to NY Times poll. If u average the 4 most recent polls all after the July 5 Comey speech Trump is winning overall.

Also for those that cite the Reuters poll, its a complete outlier that is trying to skew the reality on the ground. Its using 50% democrats, 37% Republicans, and only 13% Independents. I know dems may have a slight advantage on Party ID but it sure isn't by 13 points. I also know there are far more independents than just 13% of electorate.

Trump seems to be getting a surge lately probably due to the email decision and him not doing anything overly stupid that last week or so. I expect to see his numbers go up over the next couple weeks due to the convention bounce. But I think that Hillary will gain all/most of it back after the D convention.

Speakers for the R convention:

Night 1: A Benghazi focus, followed by border patrol agents and Mr. Shaw, whose son was killed by an undocumented immigrant. Senator Cotton, Mr. Giuliani, Melania Trump, Ms. Ernst and others.

Night 2: A focus on the economy: Mr. White, president of the U.F.C.; Asa Hutchinson, the governor of Arkansas; Michael Mukasey, the former United States attorney general; Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, a vice-presidential possibility; Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the majority leader; Tiffany Trump; Donald Trump Jr. and Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin.

Night 3: Ms. Bondi; Ms. Collins; Newt Gingrich, a former House speaker; Senator Ted Cruz of Texas; Eric Trump; Ms. Gulbis; and the nominee for vice president.

Night 4: Mr. Tebow; Representative Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee; Gov. Mary Fallin of Oklahoma; Reince Priebus, the Republican National Committee chairman; Gov. Rick Scott of Florida; Mr. Thiel; Mr. Barrack; Ivanka Trump; Donald J. Trump.

There are 100 days between the end of the Conventions and the Election. That's longer than the duration of nearly every other country's entire election process. And we've been at it almost a year already.

I'll vote for any candidate who orders an end to this year-plus long process and mandates a two-month campaign season, start-to-finish.

Trump seems to be getting a surge lately probably due to the email decision and him not doing anything overly stupid that last week or so. I expect to see his numbers go up over the next couple weeks due to the convention bounce. But I think that Hillary will gain all/most of it back after the D convention.

We are basically in a worthless dead period in the campaign. Really, the only news worthy items that have happened in the last few weeks is the email decision and Trump's soap opera VP search.

In other words, Trump hasn't opened his mouth up much lately to be able to spew idiotic stuff that can be thrown back at him.

I suspect once the conventions happen and things get cranked back up, he won't be able to help himself and it will be back to business as usual.

There are 100 days between the end of the Conventions and the Election. That's longer than the duration of nearly every other country's entire election process. And we've been at it almost a year already.

I'll vote for any candidate who orders an end to this year-plus long process and mandates a two-month campaign season, start-to-finish.

AMEN!!!!!

I was absolutely shocked the other day when I turned on the news and Britain had already elected who the next Prime Minister is. Heck, if that were the US, we would be electing someone s18 months from now.

PS......Yes...I know it was a totally different process than our general election. But, I was still shocked.

We are basically in a worthless dead period in the campaign. Really, the only news worthy items that have happened in the last few weeks is the email decision and Trump's soap opera VP search.

In other words, Trump hasn't opened his mouth up much lately to be able to spew idiotic stuff that can be thrown back at him.

I suspect once the conventions happen and things get cranked back up, he won't be able to help himself and it will be back to business as usual.

Which, if you think about it, is really damning against Clinton. Trump has a bump in the polls right now not because of something he's done, but because of something he hasn't done - open his mouth.

It basically means we could prop a watermelon in an Armani suit in front of a camera and it'd be polling nearly as well as Hillary Clinton.

• Fire 2

Which, if you think about it, is really damning against Clinton. Trump has a bump in the polls right now not because of something he's done, but because of something he hasn't done - open his mouth.

It basically means we could prop a watermelon in an Armani suit in front of a camera and it'd be polling nearly as well as Hillary Clinton.

As long as they have an R or a D beside their name. God forbid if someone without an R or a D tries to actually be sensible and run. Roughly 90% of the country will just say..."Oh...he doesn't have a chance.".

• Fire 1

As long as they have an R or a D beside their name. God forbid if someone without an R or a D tries to actually be sensible and run. Roughly 90% of the country will just say..."Oh...he doesn't have a chance.".

You're right. But that's because generations of Americans have grown up thinking Democrats & Republicans are "the government." That's our fault as much as anything.

That's why I'm voting Johnson this year. Screw 'em all. I'm done with these parties.

• Fire 1

You're right. But that's because generations of Americans have grown up thinking Democrats & Republicans are "the government." That's our fault as much as anything.

That's why I'm voting Johnson this year. Screw 'em all. I'm done with these parties.

Amen brother!!!!

Shock Poll :o Rasmussen has Trump up by 6 in nationwide, likely voters poll.

It's not a shock. Rasmussen has consistently had Trump up when every other poll had Clinton up. I'll take it by itself as seriously as I take the Clinton +11 poll.

Rasmussen does not use oversample republicans by 13 points and undersample independents by 20 points. They were off in 2012 but have been reliable in other elections. They actually made the right senate race calls in 2014 but had smaller margins than the GOP candidates won by which means they probably overcorrected for not getting the 2012 race correct. Also Rasmussen and USA today/Suffolk focus on likely voters where most others use just registered voters.