OWH: Outgoing UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman leaves with unmet goal: Huskers’ return to top

Actually, prior to their firings, a majority of Nebraska fans didn't support firing Bo or Frank.

Please prove facts of this
Go back and look at the coverage immediately before the firings. It's all there.

No. I want to see your proof that the MAJORITY of Nebraska fans didn't approve of both firings.

I'd have to dig through the archives, but for anyone following back in '03, it was shocking and quite upsetting for most fans that a long time Husker was fired a season into retooling his staff. If you don't believe me, I doubt a poll is oging to matter.

As for Pelini, second chart down: http://imgur.com/a/V0R3n

Around 22% wanted him fired. About 60% thought that NU would finish with at least 9 wins last year had we not made a change.

There are other polls, but again, I don't want to go waste time digging through OWH archives when I doubt it would change your opinion much.

Aside from off the field issues, what cost Solich his job in regards to football is pretty simple really, he couldn't recruit his way out of a brown paper bag. Anybody who watched the games back then saw that the players Solich was recruiting, compared to what Osborne left in the cupboard for him, were night and day difference. As soon as Osborne's recruits ran out and the talent stopped covering up the coaching deficiency, it became pretty glaring there was a problem. For the record, majority of the fans I knew back then were happy with the firing, including myself. I also know very few people who were/are upset about BP being fired. Idk who you hang out with but I guess it's true what they say, misery loves company.

If you think Solich was a bad recruiter, you must believe Callahan was atrocious.

• Fire 2

Doing the wrong thing with the right intentions is still wrong.

Funny isn't it?

Perlman does something "wrong" for the right intentions and he is the worst.

Osborne does something "wrong" for the right intentions and he gets a pass.

If you think Perlman and Pederson had the right intentions in their dealings in NU atheletics then we can stop the conversation here.

About damn time. This is what I think.

• Fire 2

Tom Osborne was coach to at least 800 different players as a head coach at Nebraska, assuming he brought in about 30 scholarship and walkon players per year and inherited 50 or so more.Among those 800, a small fraction had trouble with the law and super tiny fraction had major crimes put to their names.I'd say TO's character judgment was pretty darn good.It's sad we have fans now who need to reinvent history and throw barbs at a man like TO to justify their defense of guys like Perlman and Pederson.

Yeah. What's a few armed robberies, rapes, and assaults mean anyway?
Stop reinventing history. None of those things ever happened at Nebraska, doubly so under Osborne's watch.
Not sure if serious....
It was parody of the "Tom Osborne has never done anything wrong" crowd.The funniest part of that mindset being, Tom Osborne would be the first person to tell these guys their assessment of him is wrong. Tom knows his shortcomings.
Who said he has never done anything wrong?

You think Tom would say he's a poor judge of character? Interesting.No one has argued TO was infallible. But it's not hard to defend his motives those cases, as was pointed out above.Doing the wrong thing while trying to do the right thing is not reflective of poor judgment in character.

Knappic, That doesn't answer the question. Cm clearly indicated TO has made mistakes.

CM clearly indicates all sorts of things, which get mashed into a paste of 2,268 posts, which he uses to obfuscate an agenda we've all figured out, which turns this board into dull, predictable slog.

Of course it's not all his fault.

Some of it is you.

LMAO!

This place is like a high school girls bathroom, with all the cliques, pettiness, and backbiting.

I don't agree with everything cm says/does, but he is right much more often than he is wrong.

It's funny watching some of you try to pin him down, and how he often wriggles free. I think sometimes he actually teleports.

It's like you are the puppets, and he is the....puppet-controlling guy

• Fire 1

Actually, prior to their firings, a majority of Nebraska fans didn't support firing Bo or Frank.

Go back and look at the coverage immediately before the firings. It's all there.

No. I want to see your proof that the MAJORITY of Nebraska fans didn't approve of both firings.

I'd have to dig through the archives, but for anyone following back in '03, it was shocking and quite upsetting for most fans that a long time Husker was fired a season into retooling his staff. If you don't believe me, I doubt a poll is oging to matter.

Around 22% wanted him fired. About 60% thought that NU would finish with at least 9 wins last year had we not made a change.

There are other polls, but again, I don't want to go waste time digging through OWH archives when I doubt it would change your opinion much.

Aside from off the field issues, what cost Solich his job in regards to football is pretty simple really, he couldn't recruit his way out of a brown paper bag. Anybody who watched the games back then saw that the players Solich was recruiting, compared to what Osborne left in the cupboard for him, were night and day difference. As soon as Osborne's recruits ran out and the talent stopped covering up the coaching deficiency, it became pretty glaring there was a problem. For the record, majority of the fans I knew back then were happy with the firing, including myself. I also know very few people who were/are upset about BP being fired. Idk who you hang out with but I guess it's true what they say, misery loves company.

If you think Solich was a bad recruiter, you must believe Callahan was atrocious.

Perhaps labeling Solich as the bad recruiter is not appropriate. He did, however, let some of his older assistants skate for far too long without pulling their weight. Can we agree there?

(Crosses fingers)

Did cm steal your girlfriend or something?

Are you his girlfriend? Serious question.

I don't agree with everything cm says/does, but he is right much more often than he is wrong.

It's funny watching some of you try to pin him down, and how he often wriggles free. I think sometimes he actually teleports.

It's like you are the puppets, and he is the....puppet-controlling guy

So... girlfriend it is.

• Fire 9

Funny isn't it?

That is a joke. Only intention Pman and SPEM had were to boost their egos.

Tom Osborne was coach to at least 800 different players as a head coach at Nebraska, assuming he brought in about 30 scholarship and walkon players per year and inherited 50 or so more.Among those 800, a small fraction had trouble with the law and super tiny fraction had major crimes put to their names.I'd say TO's character judgment was pretty darn good.It's sad we have fans now who need to reinvent history and throw barbs at a man like TO to justify their defense of guys like Perlman and Pederson.

Yeah. What's a few armed robberies, rapes, and assaults mean anyway?
Stop reinventing history. None of those things ever happened at Nebraska, doubly so under Osborne's watch.
Not sure if serious....
It was parody of the "Tom Osborne has never done anything wrong" crowd.The funniest part of that mindset being, Tom Osborne would be the first person to tell these guys their assessment of him is wrong. Tom knows his shortcomings.
Who said he has never done anything wrong?
Right? Shouldn't have went for 2 and instead kicked the XP and put it in the hands of the voters in 84.
That didn't answer my question.

That also doesn't suggest he was "win at all costs"

But it does lend to the root of your materialism, ego, and bitterness. I think you might just be trolling now.

Wow. I was just trying to lighten the mood a bit.

Putting Lawrence Phillips back on the field in 95-96 was all the proof I needed that winning was more important than doing what was right.

I think you should look up the definition of materialism. I did. And that is not me.

Bitterness? Possibly. I might just be hungover, too.

Ego? Of course. Just look at my rep points.

LOL. You think we needed LP to win? LMAO!

Reinstating LP definitely "looked bad", and was likely a mistake given hindsight, but TO did it to help LP and possibly others. TO did not do it to win games.

I wonder if he could have done something to help Kate McEwen instead. Like not putting her attacker on Prime Time television.
True. Like I said, it was likely a mistake. In wanting to help LP, it doesn't seem to help Kate. It's a dilemma for sure.

Funny isn't it?

That is a joke. Only intention Pman and SPEM had were to boost their egos.

Please go away while the adults are talking.

• Fire 6

People who think football is the most important thing at UNL make me giggle. So ignorant. People who are incapable of separating their own preferences from facts make me giggle as well.

It's possible to care only about football when it comes to UNL, but at the same time realize that football is not the most important thing about the university.

I mean, to just name a couple things, UNL is pretty damn important when it comes to figuring out how to feed large populations and come up with alternative fuel sources. I could go on.

Who thinks that?

Someone said it in this topic. A couple of times.

I don't agree with everything cm says/does, but he is right much more often than he is wrong.It's funny watching some of you try to pin him down, and how he often wriggles free. I think sometimes he actually teleports.It's like you are the puppets, and he is the....puppet-controlling guy

So... girlfriend it is.
I already told you. Impossibru!

Betty White is my girlfriend.

Cm is my mini-me.

A kinder, gentler version.

Perhaps labeling Solich as the bad recruiter is not appropriate. He did, however, let some of his older assistants skate for far too long without pulling their weight. Can we agree there?

(Crosses fingers)

That may be a better way to say it but good luck convincing CM that we weren't gonna win it all with ol' Barney at the helm. Cue the "But that was a re-tooled staff and that was BC's first season so we will never know what may have been!"

Also, that 2002 team was STACKED with talent. You want to talk sh#t about Riley going 6-7 with the talent he had last year. Look at that 2002 roster and tell me there is ANY excuse for going 7-7. Oh and btw, majority of those players were the tail end of Osborne's recruits. But please, tell us more about what a terrible hire Riley was and what a mistake it was to fire Solich.

if nothing else I can go to a bar in a Husker shirt and not have to talk about our crazy ass coach with some random person who wants to laugh at Nebraska football...that was getting old.

People on bbs's whine about this, but while traveling the country, I never heard that. What I mostly heard is "I went to a game there once; it was awesome" or "do you all have anything other than football out there?"

Bo didn't even rank among the craziest in CFB let alone when stacked against all coaches across all sports.

I live in Kansas, where the Huskers are still relevant and a topic of conversation in relation to the Big8. I don't hear it much anymore - with the exception of this weekend at the lake - but it was extremely prevalent during his last 3-4 years....then again I hang out at a few sports bars 5-6 nights a week, so know most of the people there. Watching how your conversations play out here, it doesn't surprise me no one talks to you at a bar.

Hanging out in sports bars 5-6 nights a week? Unless one is a bartender, that's pretty sad.

coming from a guy that hangs out in a football forum 5-6 hours a day...
  • Fire 6

I don't agree with everything cm says/does, but he is right much more often than he is wrong.It's funny watching some of you try to pin him down, and how he often wriggles free. I think sometimes he actually teleports.It's like you are the puppets, and he is the....puppet-controlling guy

So... girlfriend it is.
I already told you. Impossibru!

Betty White is my girlfriend.

Cm is my mini-me.

A kinder, gentler version.

He wiggles free about as well as Trump does, and with the same techniques.

• Fire 1