UNL Sued to Stop Husker Balloon Release

I wish there were a "more biodegradable" balloon option, but I think the balloon makers aren't yet motivated enough to develop that.

https://www.usc.edu/CSSF/History/2012/Projects/J1303.pdf

Jenna Brandt, California State Science Fair. Successfully made floating helium balloons out of many different kinds of biodegradable and compostable materials (one of them, Bio-Bag, is a corn-based product!). She just cut two circles and ironed the edges. (she had parental supervision in using the iron)

I guess its not rocket science after all.

i've lived in nebraska for 53 years and have never found 1 of these balloons. what does that mean? my guess is that it means we either are not dropping that many to the ground....or we are apparently bombing iowa with these extinction inducing balloon bombs.

If that is case, the only question is how do we release way more balloons, way more often. I propose we expand the season to 24 home games and incude 2 balloons with each seat per game. Take that Iowa.

Generally speaking, I'm all for bombing Iowa into the Stone Age, but BIGREDIOWAN lives there and he's pretty cool. So we probably should think of something else.

i've lived in nebraska for 53 years and have never found 1 of these balloons. what does that mean? my guess is that it means we either are not dropping that many to the ground....or we are apparently bombing iowa with these extinction inducing balloon bombs.

If that is case, the only question is how do we release way more balloons, way more often. I propose we expand the season to 24 home games and incude 2 balloons with each seat per game. Take that Iowa.

Generally speaking, I'm all for bombing Iowa into the Stone Age, but BIGREDIOWAN lives there and he's pretty cool. So we probably should think of something else.

Maybe he should have the decency to move so the bombing can commence. :)

A Clemson University paper looked at the environmental impact of latex balloon releases,

They also found that sea turtles and shore birds are both harmed when they ingest latex.

And THAT is why we don't have sea turtles and shore birds in Nebraska. :lol:

Not to be a bird snob, but there are actually hundreds of thousands of shore birds that migrate through Nebraska every year. About 30 species of sandpipers, plovers, curlews, godwits, etc. including the omnipresent killdeer. The Cheyenne Bottoms Wildlife Area in central Kansas supports about half of the total North American population of shore birds! It's a wetland thing, and there are lots of them in Nebraska. Even in the Sandhills.

I'm not saying the balloons are a problem here, just that we most definitely have shore birds in the northern plains. I think one of the reasons that people on the coastline see the effects of trash on wildlife is that water tends to concentrate trash. All of the junk dumped into streams and rivers flows down to the ocean and gets concentrated. Wave action further concentrates it on the shore. The things that take a while to break down, and float (plastics, rubber) are the ones they see a lot of, washing up on shores. We might not see much of an ecological impact up here, but its easy to make problems for someone downstream. That applies to a lot of things, like stormwater management.

*steps down from soap-box*

• 1 month later...

Judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to ban balloons from NU games

Judge Laurie Smith Camp on Friday dismissed the case on the basis that the University of Nebraska was a state agency and therefore immune from being sued in federal court under the 11th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Randall Krause, who asked the court to ban the balloon release under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, said Congress repealed states’ immunity by enacting the law.

Camp disagreed, citing case law which “concludes the clear language (of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act) demonstrates Congress did not intend to abrogate states’ sovereign immunity from suit.”

• Fire 1