NU football ticket availability underscores critical nature of season

I definitely think the sell-out streak is in jeopardy. Went through the ticket office a couple weeks ago to purchase single game tickets for the Oregon game. Just received an email, stating that single game tickets would not be sold, the only way to get tickets for the Oregon game is to purchase season tickets. Reminds me of the sh#t that the Iowa State's and Wyoming's of the world would do, whenever we went to play them at their field. The university knows that is the only home game worth going to this year and they are trying to capitalize on it as much as possible.

• Fire 2

I definitely think the sell-out streak is in jeopardy. Went through the ticket office a couple weeks ago to purchase single game tickets for the Oregon game. Just received an email, stating that single game tickets would not be sold, the only way to get tickets for the Oregon game is to purchase season tickets. Reminds me of the sh#t that the Iowa State's and Wyoming's of the world would do, whenever we went to play them at their field. The university knows that is the only home game worth going to this year and they are trying to capitalize on it as much as possible.

Not sure I follow.

They aren't going to sell single game tickets because they plan on selling out with season ticket holders. Oregon fans get allotted a certain number that they can buy through their ticket office in the visiter's section. They aren't being required to by Nebraska season tickets to come to see the game.

I looked in to season tickets this year but decided the price was too much. If it was just the price of the tickets about $800 or just the donation, $1,000, I would have done it but with both it's just not worth it. Go back to the old way and make it so the donation is your payment for the tickets and I think this becomes much less of a problem.

Not sure I follow.

They aren't going to sell single game tickets because they plan on selling out with season ticket holders. Oregon fans get allotted a certain number that they can buy through their ticket office in the visiter's section. They aren't being required to by Nebraska season tickets to come to see the game.

I think the point is that the Nebraska ticket office is doing to Nebraska fans what Wyoming and Iowa State does (did) to Nebraska fans. The ticket managers realize that there is only one marquee game and holding the fans hostage to maximize profit.

Not sure I follow.

I think the point is that the Nebraska ticket office is doing to Nebraska fans what Wyoming and Iowa State does (did) to Nebraska fans. The ticket managers realize that there is only one marquee game and holding the fans hostage to maximize profit.

When was the last time there was a season where you could call up Nebraska ticket office and buy a single game ticket to a home game in June?

You think the demand for tickets has softened now, just wait till the millenials are the prime market! I talked to several young farmers the other day and their best memory of Nebraska football was the 2001 thrashing by Miami. A whole generation that really never experienced the excitement of being in the chase. Think about that for a minute.

I know this may not be your intent, however, I think we need to be careful of the narrative that it will ultimately be the fans' fault if the streak ends. I don't think it has much to do with the older generation or those young hooligans lovingly referred to as millennials.

This really is all about the product on the field. If you win, and avoid massive problems like at Baylor, Penn St., etc., then the fans will come. I think this will hold true 30, 40 or 50 years from now. Losing and not competing in conference championships or significant post season games will always hurt attendance.

Apathy is what kills a program, often brought on by poor team performance. I've talked to people before who believe fans should just show up regardless of the product, and while they're entitled to that opinion, I don't agree with it all. This particularly holds true in today's world where going to many sporting events, college or professional, is not overly affordable.

• Fire 5

Not sure I follow.

When was the last time there was a season where you could call up Nebraska ticket office and buy a single game ticket to a home game in June?

Never.

I just don't see how someone can claim or profess to be a true Husker fan and in the same breath state that they would prefer to watch the games on TV from home or some bar some place. Attending the game in the stadium is so far superior a Husker experience, there is just no comparison. Frankly, most TV coverages are poor at best with announcers who hardly understand the game of football let alone seriously discussing the strategy and players and their individual and team characteristics ably. Sadly, the Nebraska radio broadcasts are not very well done either (Davison does very well but Greg Sharp is just not good and his description often omits so much) He still seems like the KState announcers (I believe he used to do Wildcat broadcasts didn't he?).

For me, there just is nothing better than Husker game day in Lincoln. Hit my favorite bar and then go and cheer my heart out for Big Red. I love the strategy and excitement of live football played at a quality collegiate level. The hot dogs, the big screens when they focus on football and NOT pepsi products. The band and traditional songs and the good uptempo music/songs. You can emerse yourself in the game and forget about the rest of the world's problems and for a few hours anyway, not be worried about the future surivival of America.

• Fire 2

I just don't see how someone can claim or profess to be a true Husker fan and in the same breath state that they would prefer to watch the games on TV from home or some bar some place. Attending the game in the stadium is so far superior a Husker experience, there is just no comparison. Frankly, most TV coverages are poor at best with announcers who hardly understand the game of football let alone seriously discussing the strategy and players and their individual and team characteristics ably. Sadly, the Nebraska radio broadcasts are not very well done either (Davison does very well but Greg Sharp is just not good and his description often omits so much) He still seems like the KState announcers (I believe he used to do Wildcat broadcasts didn't he?).

For me, there just is nothing better than Husker game day in Lincoln. Hit my favorite bar and then go and cheer my heart out for Big Red. I love the strategy and excitement of live football played at a quality collegiate level. The hot dogs, the big screens when they focus on football and NOT pepsi products. The band and traditional songs and the good uptempo music/songs. You can emerse yourself in the game and forget about the rest of the world's problems and for a few hours anyway, not be worried about the future surivival of America.

There's nothing wrong with preferring to go to the games - but, it is kind of silly to suggest only the truest of fans go to Memorial Stadium. There are pros and cons to doing both. I for one enjoy being able to sit around my family and friends during Husker games, something that is impossible at the games because we either all wouldn't have tickets or all wouldn't sit in the same area.

That said, if I had an ultimate choice, I'd much rather physically be at the game than at home. But, you also have to weigh drive times, traffic times, the costs associated with going to the games, the time commitment, etc. Some days, nothing sounds better than enjoying the game with people close to me on the comforts of my own couch. That doesn't make me or anyone else less of a fan.

As far as your broadcast comments, you have some points, but one thing you have to remember is that TV broadcasters are not there to seriously discuss the finer nuances of the game. They're meant for people like my mom - the casual Husker fan who understands the basics enough to follow along. They're meant to be relatable, simple and enjoyable. Any time you go too in-depth you're going to start losing people's attention.

• Fire 3
I hope you never have to bear the horrendous tragedy of going to a professional sporting event in a major metro area. $10 parking and $5 drinks? Try $50 parking and $11 Bud Lights at an NFL game.

I'm not going anywhere that is going to make me wait in an incredibly long line in order to search me or run me through a metal detector, then charge me $11 for a not so good beer. I have my pride, you know. :)