Gun Control

1 minute ago, DefenderAO said:

A don't view violent crimes as the measuring stick for decay towards ruin.  How is the trend for child abuse through genital mutilation trending?  

If violent crimes have drastically decreased, why not put even more focus on the isolated (and lessening) conditions where they do occur vs. punishing or restricting the law abiding of this country?

For the last several pages, I have understood your narrative to be that the shootings are a symptom of the moral decay in America.  Are you not saying that?

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

A little deeper.  Top 10 cities by murder/manslaughter rates:

1. St Louis

2. Baltimore

3. Detroit

4. New Orleans

5. Baton Rouge

6. Kansas City

7. Cleveland

8. Memphis

9. Newark

10. Cincinnati

But, again, party lines as they exist today aren't going to fix this IMO.

Wait until you find out which states those cities are in and whether or not state government - backed by an appointed judicial branch - controls gun legislation. (9 of the top 15 are in conservative states, and 16 of the top 25).

But hey, if you want to play that game, 4 of the top 6 safest cities in the country are located in California (Irvine, Santa Clara and Chula Vista) and NYC is 6th.

Here are some links to drag shows in each of them, maybe you can attend and find out a thing or two about what makes those cities so safe: 

Santa Clara 

Irvine

NYC has countless numbers of drag shows, you can watch them until you drop dead of moral rot.

And Chula Vista had a drag queen story time in 2019 and the city remains one of the safest in the country. Who knew?

• Plus1 4
8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But what if it is fail? What if you're 100% wrong about the 1% of people with some form of gender conflict, a condition that appears to have existed throughout history and across nations and cultures, not simply 2023 America?  Why should your gut feeling and anecdotal evidence override a mountain of evidence and the people who live with the consequences? And why does it keep coming up in a thread about gun ownership? 

This gun ownership thread is active due to a tragic shooting.  Who did it?  Why?  The why gets to the root vs. blanket statements "take all the guns" and "let people continue to be who they feel they are that day."  Suicide rates by group show the problem.

And when does the slope stop?  All this is good but bestiality is not; but then it is because enough people feel like marrying a cat?  

If the root isn't addressed, you'll continue to see immoral manifestations like these examples.  

I worry less about whether I'm right or wrong here and look for ways to grow individually, as a dad, husband, son, friend in ways to try and serve.  I'm grateful for the freedom I'm given to struggle as well...

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

For the last several pages, I have understood your narrative to be that the shootings are a symptom of the moral decay in America.  Are you not saying that?

Shootings (and many other actions) manifest from a morally decaying America which is made up of broken individuals.  

America celebrates much of what was considered immoral just years ago...and the slippery slope seems to have been slicked further.

• Plus1 1
Just now, DefenderAO said:

Shootings (and many other actions) manifest from a morally decaying America which is made up of broken individuals.  

America celebrates much of what was considered immoral just years ago...and the slippery slope seems to have been slicked further.

But....those violent crimes that include shootings have decreased drastically over the past 30+ years.  So, does that mean our society is better than back then?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

But....those violent crimes that include shootings have decreased drastically over the past 30+ years.  So, does that mean our society is better than back then?

I'll re-address the point I tried to make earlier.   If they have so decreased, why the trumpeting of "grab all the guns?"  We're safer there now, according to the data.

And, I don't look at violent crime as the principle indicator of societal health.  It's a component, trending favorably, but by no means is the whole story.

1 minute ago, DefenderAO said:

I'll re-address the point I tried to make earlier.   If they have so decreased, why the trumpeting of "grab all the guns?"  We're safer there now, according to the data.

First off.....nobody is seriously suggesting to..."grab all our guns".

Second, we need to seriously look at our gun laws (and our mental healthcare system) because we still are absolutely horrible compared to other developed countries.

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Wait until you find out which states those cities are in and whether or not state government - backed by an appointed judicial branch - controls gun legislation. (9 of the top 15 are in conservative states, and 16 of the top 25).

But hey, if you want to play that game, 4 of the top 6 safest cities in the country are located in California (Irvine, Santa Clara and Chula Vista) and NYC is 6th.

Here are some links to drag shows in each of them, maybe you can attend and find out a thing or two about what makes those cities so safe: 

Santa Clara 

Irvine

NYC has countless numbers of drag shows, you can watch them until you drop dead of moral rot.

And Chula Vista had a drag queen story time in 2019 and the city remains one of the safest in the country. Who knew?

To be calling California a flagship or model to follow is a rough stance.  I'd say that much of the issues in those cities are cultural issues, not a mayoral/other issue.

I'm grateful to be able to use my freedom for my family's safety.  And more grateful I've never had to.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

First off.....nobody is seriously suggesting to..."grab all our guns".

Second, we need to seriously look at our gun laws (and our mental healthcare system) because we still are absolutely horrible compared to other developed countries.

My comment was unfairly hyperbolic.  My apology and not fair.

I agree, especially on the mental health part.