Gun Control

25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

FFS. I just provided the link that does a much better job of addressing the specific issue than your study.

Did you read it? No?

Don't bother scrolling back, I'll repost it here:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/278942 

Feel free to answer the previous questions:

Do you think homosexuality is a mental illness and that homosexuals can never be as happy as heterosexuals?

Did you believe in Santa Clause as a child?  

I believe homosexuals are deeply loved and cared for beyond maybe what they even know...but would cherish to hear.  I believe the same for heterosexuals.  I believe sexual/gender actualization and realization does not yield true inner joy being sought by that individual.  Maybe temporal happiness or reprieve from pain...but it's not sustaining.  

Santa was great until, as a two year old, I saw my grandfather through the costume and called him out.  Not sure when he became fully fake, but grandpa needed to do better...

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Use your words freely in what you feel.

The hypocrisy. OOF.

You were asked "Do you think homosexuality is a mental illness and that homosexuals can never be as happy as heterosexuals?"  It's a yes/no question.

You responded with this absolute word salad:

19 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

I believe homosexuals are deeply loved and cared for beyond maybe what they even know...but would cherish to hear.  I believe the same for heterosexuals.  I believe sexual/gender actualization and realization does not yield true inner joy being sought baby that individual.  Maybe temporal happiness or reprieve from pain...but it's not sustaining.  

It's not that you're contrarian, it's that you're hiding behind circuitous answers when the very reason you're in this thread THIS TIME and no other time before it belies your views. 

• Plus1 5
2 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

You're not grasping my point.

Yes I am. 

You are making your first visit to the P&R Gun Control Thread on the day after the mass shooter was identified as a trans person.

You think -- as most do -- that mass shooters are mentally ill. You are also saying the mental illness stems from an overall moral decay in the United States. Your examples of moral decay are based entirely on human sexuality, and the acceptance of sexual mores that used to be shunned and vilified. You believe moral standards -- or "truths" -- have been well established, dating back to a time you won't commit to, and they can not and should not evolve according to either scientific evidence or the changing norms of society. You carry this clear definition of right and wrong with you as determined by gut feeling and anecdotal experience. Since moral relativism is a naive enemy, you believe your truths should be the standard, and indeed law, for everyone. The possibility that your truths might infringe on someone else's freedom and self-determination does not really concern you, as you are fighting a larger war for a definitive moral code that you believe will save lives.

Gun control is a complex issue worthy of lively debate, but it also just presented a chance to talk about your deep-seeded issues with human sexuality and the dangers of tolerance. 

Did I miss anything? 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 3
57 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The hypocrisy. OOF.

You were asked "Do you think homosexuality is a mental illness and that homosexuals can never be as happy as heterosexuals?"  It's a yes/no question.

You responded with this absolute word salad:

It's not that you're contrarian, it's that you're hiding behind circuitous answers when the very reason you're in this thread THIS TIME and no other time before it belies your views. 

You read hypocrisy because you come from contempt.   Early masquerading and then facade caved against a contrarian view.  I haven't pulled punches and will return the invite for sharing your "truth" to me in its fullness.   We've gone from cultist to fascist to...smh.  

If letting you know people need to belong and be loved, know it deeply, I can't help fuel your agenda in a different way.  And I will not hide my stance that hopping genders is not the sustainable path to deep joy.  

Freedom can be scary. It isn't preserved through restricting the wrong target audience.  Neither is safety preserved.

First time in non football related anything on HB.  Pretty simple.  And I've become illumined to the perspectives of some members.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

Things you don't like are not lazy.  Just say you disagree.  

You're the one complaining about lazy labels. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in your posts.

1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

Moral relativism absolutely lends itself to what we see today.

You can keep saying that but it doesn't make it true.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I mean, we all know where you're going at this point, but watching you writhe around in self-justifying horses#!t is vaguely fascinating. 

Yep.

15 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

I haven't pulled punches

You've taken some big swings, but you've also pulled punches, moved goalposts, and used some really tortured language to obfuscate what you know is a justifiably unpopular opinion. 

Honestly, you're all over the place. 

16 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yes I am. 

You are making your first visit to the P&R Gun Control Thread on the day after the mass shooter was identified as a trans person.

You think -- as most do -- that mass shooters are mentally ill. You are also saying the mental illness stems from an overall moral decay in the United States. Your examples of moral decay are based entirely on human sexuality, and the acceptance of sexual mores that used to be shunned and vilified. You believe moral standards -- or "truths" -- have been well established, dating back to a time you won't commit to, and they can not and should not evolve according to either scientific evidence or the changing norms of society. You carry this clear definition of right and wrong with you as determined by gut feeling and anecdotal experience. Since moral relativism is a naive enemy, you believe your truths should be the standard, and indeed law, for everyone. The possibility that your truths might infringe on someone else's freedom and self-determination does not really concern you, as you are fighting a larger war for a definitive moral code that you believe will save lives.

Gun control is a complex issue worthy of lively debate, but it also just presented a chance to talk about your deep-seeded issues with human sexuality and the dangers of tolerance. 

Did I miss anything? 

You misrepresent a few things, but I appreciate the effort.

- I'm in the thread as I have thoughts on gun control and, actually, had no idea what/where the thread was or the parties involved.  It was hot on the active front page for top comments, and I jumped in to see where Husker fans stood on the matter.  Quite eye-opening. Quite simple in explanation.

- Mass shooters are all mentally ill.  I'd be curious to meet folks on the other side of the fence and discuss (the some that don't believe this).  

- Moral decay is accepted, championed, and celebrated in the US.  The US is in a steep moral decline, absolutely.  

- Moral decay of a group is comprised of morally broken people which come from both genders, any race, and any creed.

- Moral relativism is a cause for the decay in the US.  

The very issue of moral relativism - my truth and your truth oppose.  Who is right?  "Just don't infringe or impede on my truth."  Until ones truth does infringe...like one is a sociopath and decides truth is people need to die because of his/her pain.  Example is too fringe?  It's a. an example and b. certainly relevant 

What do you do with relativism and tolerance?  "Everyone has his/her truth and we're tolerant of all."  Until opposed and then it's name calling, contempt, veiled lures to try and fuel rage through COC etc.  Small time stuff.  I'd submit it makes it more difficult to not inevitably overlap on truth targets that move...

Gun control, at its core, allows for conversation about a cause as, in itself, deals with an effect.  My deeply-seated issue here is dealing with effects don't solve problems.  They come back in a different way.  People are the problem, not the tool.  

• Fire 1
11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You've taken some big swings, but you've also pulled punches, moved goalposts, and used some really tortured language to obfuscate what you know is a justifiably unpopular opinion. 

Honestly, you're all over the place

It may seem I am to you as you've likely been given likely new, and certainly contrarian views.  

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You're the one complaining about lazy labels. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in your posts.

You can keep saying that but it doesn't make it true.

Yep.

Your emboldened snippets are your takes at lazy labels?  I stand by the assertions.  

• TBH 1