Gun Control

57 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

You might be on to something here if morality and truth and right and wrong haven't been swaying, moving, changing and progressing throughout the entirety of human history.

But they have, so.. 

Even in the bible... Because I'm pretty sure that's where someone is deriving their moral authority from.

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Even in the bible... Because I'm pretty sure that's where someone is deriving their moral authority from.

It was moral for Adam & Eve and their closest kin to procreate to make more humans. Today that would be considered an ugly sin but back then? Totally moral.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, ZRod said:

I’m curious. Where do you derive your moral code from?

What is your comfort level where others derive their code from alternative places?

Lastly, where do you find safety and solace where these codes imminently collide?

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

It was moral for Adam & Eve and their closest kin to procreate to make more humans. Today that would be considered an ugly sin but back then? Totally moral.

If you were do give one position statement of the Christian faith, what would it be? 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Where do you draw yours from that allows you to feel comfortable claiming that morality and truth don't change when the one thing they have done the entire history of humankind is continue to change.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Where do you draw yours from that allows you to feel comfortable claiming that morality and truth don't change when the one thing they have done the entire history of humankind is continue to change.

You may perceive truth has changed. I believe we covered this earlier. You mentioned things happening in the past as relevant or pervasive meaning they were also representative of truth. I replied that, though they happened or were accepted then, that did not mean it represented what was true.

Curious to what your baseline for truth is as well? 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

What is your comfort level where others derive their code from alternative places?

Lastly, where do you find safety and solace where these codes imminently collide?

it's amazingly simple and consistent:

"do unto others as you would have them do unto you""

try it!

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

it's amazingly simple and consistent:

"do unto others as you would have them do unto you""

try it!

I like it. Do you feel you do this well in practice? What is your key, if yes, or hang up, if no? 

Where do you find it the most challenging to live by this principle?

15 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

You may perceive truth has changed. I believe we covered this earlier. You mentioned things happening in the past as relevant or pervasive meaning they were also representative of truth. I replied that, though they happened or were accepted then, that did not mean it represented what was true.

Curious to what your baseline for truth is as well? 

Why do you keep asking everyone else when you're unwilling to answer for yourself? My baseline for truth is rooted in god and the cosmic Christ, but is a boots-on-the-ground best guess glimpse at best. I'm just one human following in a long line of humans going through new iterations and updates over millenia trying to inch closer and closer to that which is unknowable. I see truth as a beautiful gem, that is real, but every time you turn it and look at it a different way it reveals things that are new and different, it obstructs things you saw before, and is forever re-shaping our vision in unexpected ways.

Yes, I perceive truth has changed. Because it has. But even if it hasn't, I am nothing more than my perception, and we are nothing more than our perception, so the functional difference between the truth and our perception of the truth is non-existent. You can wax poetic about how The Truth Is Out There, but if there are things that the absolute best of our kind held true for thousands of years that ended up not being true, well, it doesn't really do a lot of practical good clutching to that pearl so tightly does it? Other than give you and I some fleeting comfort.

• Plus1 5
11 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Why do you keep asking everyone else when you're unwilling to answer for yourself? My baseline for truth is rooted in god and the cosmic Christ, but is a boots-on-the-ground best guess glimpse at best. I'm just one human following in a long line of humans going through new iterations and updates over millenia trying to inch closer and closer to that which is unknowable. I see truth as a beautiful gem, that is real, but every time you turn it and look at it a different way it reveals things that are new and different, it obstructs things you saw before, and is forever re-shaping our vision in unexpected ways.

Yes, I perceive truth has changed. Because it has. But even if it hasn't, I am nothing more than my perception, and we are nothing more than our perception, so the functional difference between the truth and our perception of the truth is non-existent. You can wax poetic about how The Truth Is Out There, but if there are things that the absolute best of our kind held true for thousands of years that ended up not being true, well, it doesn't really do a lot of practical good clutching to that pearl so tightly does it? Other than give you and I some fleeting comfort.

Please take these questions as genuine as I’m in soak-in mode.

I can relate to your thought on Christ though am unfamiliar with the term “Cosmic Christ.” What is that meaning or concept?

When Christ is likened to the Way or Truth in the Bible, where do you see this as it relates to what we’re able to know and how individual perceptions shape how we see reality?  Where do you see a book like the Bible fit in to what you’ve come to see? 

Edit: these are sit with a cigar and a nice whisky on the porch with close friends type questions so feel free to dismiss. I do find perspective very interesting, however. 

7 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

We need more of this coming from exactly this sort of person - someone who has an audience outside of political discussions.  Thanks for sharing it, reminds me of the Steve Kerr interview from not so long ago.

And the mind-blowing incongruence of it right after the Kevin McCarthy saying he will not discuss it but would prefer to talk about movies or anything else is just a kick to the gut.  WE MUST VOTE LIKE THIS IS THE THREAT THAT IT IS.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

Where I derive my morals from hardly seems relevant to you touting your moral superiority. It would seem that you are the one who needs to disclose your source so we can finally understand where you're coming from.

• TBH 3
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I noticed Canada’s flag on there.   US has by far the most gun ownership per capita of any country.  It’s actually a little less than 4 times that of Canada.  Yet the gun death rate in US is 7 times that of Canada.   It should be 4 times if all else equal.  So we need to also figure out what else is going on that contributes to a higher per capita death rate from guns (suicide?) 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1