The Obama Legacy

I've appreciated how Obama has handled the transition wt Trump thus far. We'll see if he remain quiet like GWB has once Trump becomes president.

sk111516dAPR.jpg?itok=9VVp9TOW

This is supposed to be irony, right? Except Obama tried over and over and over and over to work with his opponents. All they wanted to do was tear down Obamacare.

As in - THAT IS ALL THEY WANTED TO DO.

Once Obamacare is dismantled or destroyed they'll have accomplished the only goal the Republican congress has had since 2008.

It is to be hoped that, once that is done, they'll actually govern. Because this country needs leadership, and it's put up or shut up time.

• Fire 4

I'd argue there is no need to be "quiet". He can be constructive. Jimmy Carter, HW Bush and Clinton all took on constructive, beneficial roles using their experience and passion after leaving office. In my mind a president shouldn't just fade away, we elected them as leaders for a reason, and that doesn't go away when they stop sleeping in the white house at night.

• Fire 2

I'd argue there is no need to be "quiet". He can be constructive. Jimmy Carter, HW Bush and Clinton all took on constructive, beneficial roles using their experience and passion after leaving office. In my mind a president shouldn't just fade away, we elected them as leaders for a reason, and that doesn't go away when they stop sleeping in the white house at night.

Why should a president "stay quiet?" That, to me, sounds like people are trying put Obama in his place, put him in a corner.

He has eight years of experience running the most powerful country in the world. That's a resource we'd be stupid to ignore.

I'd rather Obama join the ranks of active, activist ex-presidents. Jimmy Carter has done far more good post-presidency than he ever did as president. He'll pass on with a good name thanks almost entirely to that work.

George W & Bill Clinton have famously worked together after their terms.

TDNyJHz.jpg

I can't imagine why Obama wouldn't join those ranks. As he said, he's young & ready to go.

• Fire 2

Carter, Clinton and Bush are all examples of how a President can be constructive and helpful once out of office.

They have basically done that by very seldom ever making disparaging remarks about the sitting President. Instead, they remain constructive and helpful.

If Obama can be that way....Great!!! I expect he can be.

I've appreciated how Obama has handled the transition wt Trump thus far. We'll see if he remain quiet like GWB has once Trump becomes president.

This is supposed to be irony, right? Except Obama tried over and over and over and over to work with his opponents. All they wanted to do was tear down Obamacare.

Once Obamacare is dismantled or destroyed they'll have accomplished the only goal the Republican congress has had since 2008.

It is to be hoped that, once that is done, they'll actually govern. Because this country needs leadership, and it's put up or shut up time.

I agree 100% wt the bold. They can no longer obstruct and either they get something done for the nation or the voters should kick them all out. They own it now.

I'm not so sure about the underlined part during Obama's first 2 years. He didn't need to as he has a super majority. However the repubs were also not willing to work wt him either.

I agree - the word "quiet" was probably wrong - should have said not be critical especially during the first year. Give the new president the opportunity to succeed - that is what I was trying to say but failed. Trump would be wise also not to be critical of the past administration while he moves forward wt his agenda. President Obama has a great opportunity to influence the world for good from his new position as former president. It is a unique fellowship of leadership and experience that gives these few men to have great influence in a very positive way.

I agree 100% wt the bold. They can no longer obstruct and either they get something done for the nation or the voters should kick them all out. They own it now.

I'm not so sure about the underlined part during Obama's first 2 years. He didn't need to as he has a super majority. However the repubs were also not willing to work wt him either.

I am.

Another legacy

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/obama-sets-new-record-for-regulations-527-pages-in-just-one-day/article/2607677

President Obama has just set a new record for rules and regulations, his administration spitting out 527 pages worth in just one day, as he races to put his fingerprint on virtually every corner of American life and business.

According to the Competitive Enterprise Institute, the administration has just shattered the old record for pages of regulations and rules published by the in-house journal, the Federal Register.

At 81,640 total pages for 2016, it ranks first and 235 pages more than all of those published in 2010, the previous record.

What's more, there are still about 26 working days left in the year.

"No one knows what the future holds, but at a pace of well over 1,000 pages weekly, the Federal Register could easily top 90,000 pages this year. The simple algebra says that at the current pace we'll add 11,190 pages over the next 44 days, to end 2016 at around 92,830 pages," said CEI's Clyde Wayne Crews.

"This is astonishing and should be of great concern, and intolerable, to policymakers. It is remarkable enough that the all-time record has been passed before Thanksgiving," he added.

Obama has promised to regulate by executive authority, but the sheer number of pages of regulations being rushed through is astonishing.

Still, it's not a big surprise to CEI and other regulation watchdogs.

RANK YEAR PAGE COUNTSPOTUS

Obama

Obama

Obama

Obama

Bush

Obama

Obama

Obama

Bush

Bush

Bush

Clinton

Bush

Carter

Bush

"What did you do while Trump stocked his Cabinet with racists and bigots, grandpa?"

"I was making sure Obama didn't use too much paper."

Not sure what you mean by this Knapp, but it isn't an either/or. I think a person can decry cabinet choices while also speaking out against over regulation.

• Fire 1

Another legacy

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/obama-sets-new-record-for-regulations-527-pages-in-just-one-day/article/2607677

President Obama has just set a new record for rules and regulations, his administration spitting out 527 pages worth in just one day, as he races to put his fingerprint on virtually every corner of American life and business.

According to the Competitive Enterprise Institute, the administration has just shattered the old record for pages of regulations and rules published by the in-house journal, the Federal Register.

At 81,640 total pages for 2016, it ranks first and 235 pages more than all of those published in 2010, the previous record.

What's more, there are still about 26 working days left in the year.

"No one knows what the future holds, but at a pace of well over 1,000 pages weekly, the Federal Register could easily top 90,000 pages this year. The simple algebra says that at the current pace we'll add 11,190 pages over the next 44 days, to end 2016 at around 92,830 pages," said CEI's Clyde Wayne Crews.

"This is astonishing and should be of great concern, and intolerable, to policymakers. It is remarkable enough that the all-time record has been passed before Thanksgiving," he added.

Obama has promised to regulate by executive authority, but the sheer number of pages of regulations being rushed through is astonishing.

Still, it's not a big surprise to CEI and other regulation watchdogs.

RANK YEAR PAGE COUNTSPOTUS

Obama

Obama

Obama

Obama

Bush

Obama

Obama

Obama

Bush

Bush

Bush

Clinton

Bush

Carter

Bush

How do you know if this is actually true?

"What did you do while Trump stocked his Cabinet with racists and bigots, grandpa?"

"I was making sure Obama didn't use too much paper."

Not sure what you mean by this Knapp, but it isn't an either/or. I think a person can decry cabinet choices while also speaking out against over regulation.

Over regulation? What subjects did those regulations cover? What did they do, exactly? I ask because I'm betting you have no idea, and you slapped the term "over regulation" on it simply based on the sheer size - which, of course, is nonsense. For all you know, each of those regulations serve a laudable purpose.

• Fire 4