The Obama Legacy

Let's be realistic. Obamacare will be forgotten in 20 years. 200 years from Obama will still have been the first Black President.How often do people talk about the Contract With America? Who even remembers what it was?

I agree. I thought we were talking about his "legacy", as in his accomplishments. Didn't realize a fact of his birth qualified as a legacy. I guess all we really remember about Lincoln was abolition of slavery and the fact he got shot. At least one of those is an actual legacy.

• Fire 1

If we're going to get technical about the definition, a legacy is something passed down from one person to the next. Obama's legacy will be an improved economy, better jobs numbers, a broken racial barrier in the highest office in the land, and a half-broken healthcare initiative.

What most people think of when they hear "legacy" is "how they'll be remembered." That's how I was responding. Sorry for any confusion that inaccurate definition caused.

• 4 weeks later...

Obama's legacy may have been confirmed tonight with the election of Trump. It's a sentiment to how bad he has been as POTUS. Voters wanted change from his failed leadership.

Not only that the R's kicked the D's butt and kept the Senate and the House. Obama was such a failure as President that he saved the Republican Party from themselves.

Obama's legacy may have been confirmed tonight with the election of Trump. It's a sentiment to how bad he has been as POTUS. Voters wanted change from his failed leadership.

Not only that the R's kicked the D's butt and kept the Senate and the House. Obama was such a failure as President that he saved the Republican Party from themselves.

Failure is subjective.

Now, if he had just been a good Republican, THAT would have stopped Congress from being completely dysfunctional. I think he probably should've used their clearly superior policies instead of his own failed ones. That's where he went wrong!

Obama is leaving a huge 'legacy' and it has been barely mentioned in the campaign. It's called the 'national debt' but more precisely (Obama's half of the national debt). I would like to see a new tax enacted called the 'liberal tax' which is imposed on all registered Democrats who voted in any Presidential election since 2007. We should impose a tax of about 50,000 per year on each of those registered Dems who actually voted (I would not tax those who did not actually participate). Not sure how many decades it will take but let them pay the debt they ran up off themselves. The rest of us should not be repaying for Democrat credit card shopping sprees to buy "Obama phones' and for all the trillions that simply disappeared in recent years.

That would be a good start on comemerating the Obama 'legacy'. They voted for their inheritance so let them have it. Just a quick idea.

This debt will be an anchor around the necks of the American economy for a generation.

Certain folks here have spent the last 8 years telling us that we CAN NOT blame Bush II for Obama's term. It all stopped at 2008 and since then Obama owns everything.

Is that still true? Or do those same people blame Obama after he leaves office?

Not true then. Not true now. Cuz some things just dont have overnight impacts. Some things Bush did impacted Obama's time. Good or bad. Some things Obama has done will impact Trump's time, good or bad. The whole system doesnt just stop and reset on inauguration day, right?

Certain folks here have spent the last 8 years telling us that we CAN NOT blame Bush II for Obama's term. It all stopped at 2008 and since then Obama owns everything.

Is that still true? Or do those same people blame Obama after he leaves office?

Why would Trump's legacy not be judged on its own merits? What are the economic indicators that exist right now that parallel the ones when Obama took office?

We were in multiple wars, the economy was tanking due to the housing crash, and employment predictably went way up. Now... one war with not a country but an ideology in ISIS (don't worry, that will soon go away completely), unemployment is below 5 unless you think the numbers are phony (I don't, but there is some merit to the argument that people are underemployed or not able to get as much work as they want due to companies cutting hours to avoid paying benefits),and incomes are going up. We just got strong jobs numbers for two months in a row.

Oh, and no one can use Congress as an excuse, because they control both houses just like Obama did.

These situations aren't remotely comparable. 84 can complain about national debt all he wants. I don't like debt, but it's not a good indicator of overall economic strength. Sure, GDP growth is down, but with Trump, it's going to be 5+ per year!

Anyone who continues to blame Obama after he leaves office in this environment has their head firmly nested up Fox News' rear end.

• Fire 1