The Obama Legacy

Well, at least the country is being left in pretty solid shape overall for Donald Trump to make his accomplishments and/or failures completely his own.

Who am I kidding - anything he doesn't accomplish will still be painted as Obama's fault.

It's no different than Obama blaming everything on Bush for the first few years he was in the White House. It's easy to blame the guy that came ahead of you. Obama did a great job of that and I'm sure Trump will do the same.

Well, at least the country is being left in pretty solid shape overall for Donald Trump to make his accomplishments and/or failures completely his own.

Who am I kidding - anything he doesn't accomplish will still be painted as Obama's fault.

It's no different than Obama blaming everything on Bush for the first few years he was in the White House. It's easy to blame the guy that came ahead of you. Obama did a great job of that and I'm sure Trump will do the same.

Except for the part where Bush actually left the country in total disaster. There are legitimate criticisms of certain elements of where we're at as a country currently, for sure, but overall we are in an entirely more stable, secure, and prosperous America than we were in 2008.

Except for the part where Bush actually left the country in total disaster. There are legitimate criticisms of certain elements of where we're at as a country currently, for sure, but overall we are in an entirely more stable, secure, and prosperous America than we were in 2008.

I agree with this a little bit, except that Obama isn't leaving things as rosy as Democrats want to think he is. Obamacare is a monumental failure and no matter how people want to spin things, it has his name tied to it so most of the blame lies right in his corner.

I agree with this a little bit, except that Obama isn't leaving things as rosy as Democrats want to think he is. Obamacare is a monumental failure and no matter how people want to spin things, it has his name tied to it so most of the blame lies right in his corner.

I fully believe Obamacare will be replaced by whatever Paul Ryan draws up. Typical Republican stuff. We'll probably go back to the way it was in the 90s or pre-ACA, more or less. There's just logistically no way for Trump to promise to cover everyone with no mandate and bring costs down while people receive care that is anything but complete poo. It's very, very difficult to provide high-quality care to everyone for cheap. Anyone that tells you anything else is lying to your face. I'm going into the medical field and learning about this stuff for my job. My whole curriculum for the next few years just got turned on its head last night.

So we won't have to complain about Obamacare for very long, I'd think, assuming Ryan and his colleagues can actually finish drawing up a real plan instead of just complaining about the current one for 8 years. They're about to find out that it's not a very easy road to traverse.

Landlord is right. I still don't buy into Trump's version of reality-- everything is terrible, Obama screwed up literally everything he touched, our country is going to hell. Get that demagogic crap out of here and take a sober, non-partisan look at the statistics. Disconnect from the spin. Obamacare has been in big trouble from day 1 because it didn't go far enough to be sustainable. Beyond that, can someone tell me what the hell he screwed up so badly that Trump can pin failures on him?

Hint: Not a whole lot.

I fully believe Obamacare will be replaced by whatever Paul Ryan draws up. Typical Republican stuff. We'll probably go back to the way it was in the 90s or pre-ACA, more or less. There's just logistically no way for Trump to promise to cover everyone with no mandate and bring costs down while people receive care that is anything but complete poo. It's very, very difficult to provide high-quality care to everyone for cheap. Anyone that tells you anything else is lying to your face. I'm going into the medical field and learning about this stuff for my job. My whole curriculum for the next few years just got turned on its head last night.

So we won't have to complain about Obamacare for very long, I'd think, assuming Ryan and his colleagues can actually finish drawing up a real plan instead of just complaining about the current one for 8 years. They're about to find out that it's not a very easy road to traverse.

Landlord is right. I still don't buy into Trump's version of reality-- everything is terrible, Obama screwed up literally everything he touched, our country is going to hell. Get that demagogic crap out of here and take a sober, non-partisan look at the statistics. Disconnect from the spin. Obamacare has been in big trouble from day 1 because it didn't go far enough to be sustainable. Beyond that, can someone tell me what the hell he screwed up so badly that Trump can pin failures on him?

Hint: Not a whole lot.

I don't think he did screw a lot of things up that badly, and never claimed he did. Obamacare was the thing he's going to be remembered for the most because he attached his name to it. It would be good if Congress, both Republicans and Democrats, worked on changing things up. If there is one thing that I hope comes from this whole Trump fiasco, it's that I hope our government takes note of how frustrated the American people are of politicians and they try to finally work together rather than Republicans vs Democrats. I don't think it will happen, but it's a pipe dream of mine.

I don't think he did screw a lot of things up that badly, and never claimed he did. Obamacare was the thing he's going to be remembered for the most because he attached his name to it. It would be good if Congress, both Republicans and Democrats, worked on changing things up. If there is one thing that I hope comes from this whole Trump fiasco, it's that I hope our government takes note of how frustrated the American people are of politicians and they try to finally work together rather than Republicans vs Democrats. I don't think it will happen, but it's a pipe dream of mine.

I agree. Politicians SHOULD work with our best interests in mind.

That becomes very difficult to do when they promise "I will wholeheartedly support anything President X does" or "I will stonewall any time the other party tries to Y." Plus, in all honesty, it's very hard to say to constituents-- "I will sometimes do and support things you may not like because it's for the betterment of the country as a whole." People want to be catered to.

I don't envy politicians. It's got to suck to try to balance that. But, on the whole, yeah, this obstructionism and flocking to our respective sides absolutely has to stop.

• Fire 1

Wow LOMS, you have really been having a hard time the past 24 hours. First off, you do realize that Obama is the only POTUS ever to spend his entire first term blaming his predecessor. Do you disagree that he spent more time publicly criticizing his predecessor than any other POTUS has done. Now it may have been smart politically because it bought him time for the 2012 election given he had accomplished so little.

Second, if this country were in such great shape, why would most polls find that 65 to 70% believe it's on the wrong track. Things are a mess right now (outside of the stock market). ISIS has been quiet for 3 or 4 months, but we just had the worst year of terrorists attacks ever, and we still don't have a good plan to defeat ISIS. Obamacare has always been a mess, and it's getting even worse. We remain in the worst economic recovery ever. More people are out of the labor force now than at any point since the 1970s. Racial divisiveness has worsened, as has black poverty and income inequality. Donald Trump won last night partly because HIllary was a bad candidate, but also because of Obama's failures.

• Fire 1

BNIL, we've had this same conversation every single time someone defends Obama around here. We get that's how you feel, man. A lot of the rest of us don't buy what you're selling.

TGH... it well could. I've heard other people say the same thing. Trump's been in control and conciliatory for all of one day when he hasn't had to do anything of any consequence. If we get old Trump when push comes to shove and things get tough, the party will have to wear him like a Scarlet Letter. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep watching their party bend over backward for a man of such unbelievably horrible moral character.

Let's see what happens. I'm skeptical, but the GOP has no one left to blame. That can't simply rail on Obama anymore and obstruct. Let's see if this new party of Trump can answer all of our problems as they have promised to do.

• Fire 1

Obama's legacy may have been confirmed tonight with the election of Trump. It's a sentiment to how bad he has been as POTUS. Voters wanted change from his failed leadership.

Not only that the R's kicked the D's butt and kept the Senate and the House. Obama was such a failure as President that he saved the Republican Party from themselves.

Failure is subjective.

Now, if he had just been a good Republican, THAT would have stopped Congress from being completely dysfunctional. I think he probably should've used their clearly superior policies instead of his own failed ones. That's where he went wrong!

Not really, look at the state of the country and you will see how our economy is terrible, foreign policy is a joke, race relations are the worst since the 60's, and in typical liberal fashion, they want to blame everyone else for their failures. It's the white racist/sexist boogeyman 's fault she lost. Not the fact that the country is tired of how far left the Democrats and their policies are and the fact that they handed their nomination to a career criminal that even the media couldn't hand the election to her with their extremely biased reporting. Dem's are going to have to come back to the center to win an election anytime soon as the far left policies of Obama were also one of the main reasons she lost.

The really funny part about your uniformed snippy comment about Republicans is that Trump isn't a true Republican either, he fought and beat the Republican establishment, Democratic establishment, and the biased liberal media. The meltdown by the left is one of the most pathetic yet funny things I have ever seen. The celebrities and elites whining and blaming everyone but themselves for being out of touch with America is hilarious. The protesters are just showing their ignorance which is nothing new for young liberals.

BNIL, we've had this same conversation every single time someone defends Obama around here. We get that's how you feel, man. A lot of the rest of us don't buy what you're selling.

TGH... it well could. I've heard other people say the same thing. Trump's been in control and conciliatory for all of one day when he hasn't had to do anything of any consequence. If we get old Trump when push comes to shove and things get tough, the party will have to wear him like a Scarlet Letter. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep watching their party bend over backward for a man of such unbelievably horrible moral character.

Let's see what happens. I'm skeptical, but the GOP has no one left to blame. That can't simply rail on Obama anymore and obstruct. Let's see if this new party of Trump can answer all of our problems as they have promised to do.

If he answers a few it's more than Obama did. All you have to do is look at how he "took care" of the people who put him in office. African Americans are in much worse shape now than they were when he took over.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/433222/black-americans-barack-obama-going-backwards-under-president-obama

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/01/tavis-smiley-on-every-leading-economic-issue-black-americans-have-lost-ground-under-obama-video/

Liberals are apparently completed blinded by their own political spin and rhetoric. They talk about the 'factless' society and obviously to read some of the leftist comments on here, they have come to believe the stuff they say. For example, the economy is just plain NOT GOOD no matter how many ways the media and Whitehouse spin machine has tried to describe it otherwise. The only significant measure of economic data that is 'improved' is the unemployment rate. That took about 6 years to come down and basically it came down because they simply took people out of the labor force number rather than getting more people hired.

Absolutely amazing the media is already bashing Trump for doing a bad job and all he has done is accept the election results (which they bashed him for not agreeing to accept the election results before the election was even conducted because the 'planned' on their gal winning hands down). It is a real shock to the liberal 1/3rd of the country to find the rest of the country is no longer listening and won't take the crap any more!. If the cry babies out 'protesting' think anybody cares, they are just as ignorant as their ideas. They can protest till the cows come home - nobody cares! Get it - nobody cares.

Wow LOMS, you have really been having a hard time the past 24 hours. First off, you do realize that Obama is the only POTUS ever to spend his entire first term blaming his predecessor. Do you disagree that he spent more time publicly criticizing his predecessor than any other POTUS has done. Now it may have been smart politically because it bought him time for the 2012 election given he had accomplished so little.

Second, if this country were in such great shape, why would most polls find that 65 to 70% believe it's on the wrong track. Things are a mess right now (outside of the stock market). ISIS has been quiet for 3 or 4 months, but we just had the worst year of terrorists attacks ever, and we still don't have a good plan to defeat ISIS. Obamacare has always been a mess, and it's getting even worse. We remain in the worst economic recovery ever. More people are out of the labor force now than at any point since the 1970s. Racial divisiveness has worsened, as has black poverty and income inequality. Donald Trump won last night partly because HIllary was a bad candidate, but also because of Obama's failures.

So if Trump sucks it up big time are you going to blame Obama or nah?

So if Trump sucks it up big time are you going to blame Obama or nah?

For the record Landlord, as I intercede here. I would not. I would admit I was wrong. But all i want, not that it official and over, is that folks take the blinders off and get behind the guy. he's the President now. Based on a lawful and constitutional process. It's an inarguable fact. Like Hillary said. Get behind it with an open mind and let him govern

I am not on Obama hater. And I know based on my open views, ppl probably think I am. But he has done a lot of decency in the fact of a lot of polarizing oppostition. Repubs are just as responsible as democrats for the bullsh#t we're in right now. it's politicians. That's why America did what it did tuesday. Everything will be fine.