The Obama Legacy

Kind of like how black people and minorities do not have to personally be killed at the hands of the police to have a reasonable fear and nervousness towards the police and a concern that racist prejudice and bias is running rampant through our police departments, I'd imagine.

OMG, what nonsense.

It's more rational than fearing "radical Islam", isn't it? I mean, how often do you come into contact with the police as opposed to ISIS members?

Kind of like how black people and minorities do not have to personally be killed at the hands of the police to have a reasonable fear and nervousness towards the police and a concern that racist prejudice and bias is running rampant through our police departments, I'd imagine.

OMG, what nonsense.

It's more rational than fearing "radical Islam", isn't it? I mean, how often do you come into contact with the police as opposed to ISIS members?

How many people of color have been wrongfully killed by police as opposed to how many people have been killed by Islamic terrorists in the past 30 years?

Here is some advice, comply don't die. If people of color are that afraid of police then why do they 1) do so many things that put them in contact with police and 2) when they do have contact, why do they force the police to become the judge, jury, and executioner?

OMG, what nonsense.

How many people of color have been wrongfully killed by police as opposed to how many people have been killed by Islamic terrorists in the past 30 years?

red-herring.jpg
  • Fire 2

OMG, what nonsense.

Here is some advice, comply don't die. If people of color are that afraid of police then why do they 1) do so many things that put them in contact with police and 2) when they do have contact, why do they force the police to become the judge, jury, and executioner?

I suggest that you read about DWB and stop-and-frisk if you truly believe that there is no racial bias in police departments.

• Fire 1

Its not solely Obamas fault, and with every issue there are multiple factors play. But when the history books are written about race relations under Obama, it will not judge him kindly, and that is the point of this thread...what will be Obamas legacy.

You could be right. But it's just as likely that history will look back and see that racial tensions were high for a longer period of time than just 2008-2016 and things just flared up over that time period. Personally, I think Obama has done a lousy job getting out in front of many of these issues, and that he'll be remembered as a great campaigner and speaker but a poor leader.

Well said, especially the last sentence. Obama is an awesome orator and communicator but has really been a terrible leader, and that was the criticism of him heading into taking the oath of office...that he had zero executive or leadership experience. I think where he failed is that he made it "cool" to hate on the police, and this occurred as early as his first term with the incident regarding the Harvard professor that was breaking into his own house. And there were many other examples after that where he could have defended the 99.9% of police who are brave and risk their lives everyday for the betterment of our society while also making a point that there are a few bad apples that must be dealt with. Instead he and his cabinet encourage all the protests and the BLM movement and did little to quell the fires literally and figuratively.

• Fire 1

History requires foundation. There is no foundation for "Republicans feel as though race relations were worse under President Obama."

The past is full of people with sensitive feelings. They are footnotes, not legacies.

Did the polls I cited show the views of Republicans vs Democrats vs Independents. Not everything must be viewed through a partisan lens. Moreover, the poll included many non-whites who also felt race-relations were worse, and unless you are living under a bubble, the GOP does not have as many blacks supporting it as the Democrats do. So your statement here is really pointless.

Just because various police officers were exposed rightfully or wrongfully killing black people that resulted in riots or protests during Obama's time as President, doesn't mean he was the CAUSE of that unrest.

So let's say during the Trump administration that he continues to speak out about Muslims and targeting muslims for fears of terrorist attacks, yet there is no legislation that actually states that officials or officers should target them. Yet when the data comes through, there is a spike in how many Muslims are targeted from 2017 to 2020. Would you suggest the DJT deserved any blame for that increase in Muslims that were targeted?

You wouldn't be trying to insinuate Obama has something to do with police officer deaths at the hands of civilians would you? Something that has pretty much declined under his term, and a crime that a white male is more likely to commit than a black male.

• Fire 2

I think where he failed is that he made it "cool" to hate on the police, and this occurred as early as his first term with the incident regarding the Harvard professor that was breaking into his own house. And there were many other examples after that where he could have defended the 99.9% of police who are brave and risk their lives everyday for the betterment of our society while also making a point that there are a few bad apples that must be dealt with. Instead he and his cabinet encourage all the protests and the BLM movement and did little to quell the fires literally and figuratively.

You're full of absolute dogshit.

Obama has called for unity in the wake of the shootings, but also a recognition that biases and mistrust exist. He reiterated his belief that the country is not as divided as it seems and said he remains optimistic that things will improve. On Thursday, the President called himself “Mr. Hope.” But he acknowledged the reasoning behind both the Black Lives Matter movement and the frustration expressed by police who say they’re expected to do more than just police neighborhoods.

“You’d have to find any message that did not include a very strong support for law enforcement in all my utterances dating back to Ferguson,” Obama said. “I rely on law enforcement.”

“Kindness and compassion expressed by these two sides … that makes a big difference,” Obama said. “Sometimes people just want acknowledgment.”

Obama - "I don't think that what happens in Ferguson is typical. The overwhelming number of law enforcement officers have a really hard, dangerous job and they do it well and they do it fairly and they do it heroically. And I strongly believe that. We need to honor those folks and we need to respect them and to not just assume that they've got ill will or they're doing a bad job."

“I know that you do your jobs with distinction no matter the challenges you face. That’s part of wearing the badge,” Obama will say. “But we can’t expect you to contain and control problems that the rest of us aren’t willing to face or do anything about.”

Obama plans to say he could not tell the families of police officers who died in the line of duty he did everything he could to protect them.
“I told these grieving families how sorry I am for their loss,” he said. “But I could not honestly tell them that our country has done everything we could to keep their loved ones safe. And that’s a travesty.”
  • Fire 8

Its not solely Obamas fault, and with every issue there are multiple factors play. But when the history books are written about race relations under Obama, it will not judge him kindly, and that is the point of this thread...what will be Obamas legacy.

You could be right. But it's just as likely that history will look back and see that racial tensions were high for a longer period of time than just 2008-2016 and things just flared up over that time period. Personally, I think Obama has done a lousy job getting out in front of many of these issues, and that he'll be remembered as a great campaigner and speaker but a poor leader.

Well said, especially the last sentence. Obama is an awesome orator and communicator but has really been a terrible leader, and that was the criticism of him heading into taking the oath of office...that he had zero executive or leadership experience. I think where he failed is that he made it "cool" to hate on the police, and this occurred as early as his first term with the incident regarding the Harvard professor that was breaking into his own house. And there were many other examples after that where he could have defended the 99.9% of police who are brave and risk their lives everyday for the betterment of our society while also making a point that there are a few bad apples that must be dealt with. Instead he and his cabinet encourage all the protests and the BLM movement and did little to quell the fires literally and figuratively.

Too early in the morning ... I +1'd this instead of hitting reply - so don't think there's someone aligned with you on this.

What I meant to type in reply is that your comments above are just irresponsible and ignorant.

Seriously, I disagree with you politically but respect your right to feel as if you do, but this is offensive.

Just because various police officers were exposed rightfully or wrongfully killing black people that resulted in riots or protests during Obama's time as President, doesn't mean he was the CAUSE of that unrest.

So let's say during the Trump administration that he continues to speak out about Muslims and targeting muslims for fears of terrorist attacks, yet there is no legislation that actually states that officials or officers should target them. Yet when the data comes through, there is a spike in how many Muslims are targeted from 2017 to 2020. Would you suggest the DJT deserved any blame for that increase in Muslims that were targeted?

Your hypothetical equivalence is absurd as Zrod and Landlord have pointed out.