Police Dispatch During Shootings in Dallas and other police topics

What zoogs is saying is that White people do not have a problem with police BECAUSE THEY ARE WHITE. Blacks sometimes do, as do Hispanics and other minorities.

You're going to have your run-ins with the police if they're having a bad day (unlikely reason), or you're being an ass (more likely). It's best to be polite, calm & helpful when you have police contact. Police are human and have bad days, too. But as a White person in America, you're less likely to have police contact than as a minority. This is statistically proven, it is not a slam on cops, it is just how it is.

And who's fault is that? The police or the person the police are dealing with?

I already said whose fault it is in that post. It's sometimes the cop, more often the person being contacted, and sometimes it's a mixture of both.

Seen that and that's the correct answer in my eyes, but the overall tone of some in this thread is the cop is being biased and they are more in the wrong then they are right. Just the way I'm seeing it.

I understand that it's tough to talk about this stuff for you, at least not without some level of defense. You or people you work with are risking their lives every day just to do your job. It's only natural you're going to be on your guard in conversations like this. Most of the rest of us don't risk our lives just doing our jobs. We have a very different perspective from you. I just hope you don't take the things people say personally. I think you're really respected around here, both for your Husker knowledge & because of what you do for a living.

BIGRED....

My personal opinion on this is that being a police officer is just like any other job in that the vast majority of them do the job professionally and as it should be done. They are great people with families and come to the job with the correct attitude.

However, as everyone has experienced in just about any job, there are people who get hired that aren't that way. They are bad at their job, they shouldn't have had the job in the first place and the situation needs to be corrected. The problem is, as a police officer, those people have the ability to do tremendous harm in the line of duty when they don't come to work with the right attitude and don't do it well.

I think those people are a vast minority in the police force in this country. The trick is to figure out who those people are and eliminate them from the force.

The guy who arrested me was fired shortly after. Not just because of my incident. The police chief had had multiple complaints bout the guy including a sit down parent meeting with several families from the community explaining how he had treated their kids. (giving a speeding ticket to a kid on a bicycle....etc.) :facepalm:

This was in small town Nebraska where everyone knows everyone. What I wonder is, how can that be accomplished at the level of the Des Moines police force or Baton Rouge, or Atlanta or LA....etc. The public doesn't feel like they have access to the higher ups like we do in small town where I know the chief personally.

And...unfortunately, as what usually happens in these situations. The majority of police officers are being painted in a bad light due to the actions of a few.

The trick in larger cities is to have a Chief that's approachable that has mechanisms in place to make sure complaints are looked into in the correct way not just pushed to the side, typically the norm in smaller cities. I can tell you without a doubt the Des Moines Police Chief is probably one of the best Chief's in the nation. A very passionate man that cares about people and the officers that have the opportunity to serve under him. People will be coming from across the nation to try and lure him away, but I doubt they're successful. The Des Moines Police Department hasn't been without their issues over the years, but they've typically dealt with them the correct way ultimately resulting in the dismissal of the officer if there was an issue, but those issues are very rare, fantastic organization. I'm lucky to serve in the Des Moines Metro Area as all agencies in this area don't take "bad cops" lightly and WILL see to it that they are dismissed from their job should issues arise.

Despite what the officers say about the Chief in Dallas I've seen nothing, but positives from what he's done with the department, but he is losing officers in large numbers because of the changes he's making. That could be for several reasons, but his approach has been one of progressiveness and problem solving with programs and approaches that have been addressing issues down there. His story is an amazing one, came from a poor family, has been a Dallas cop his entire career, his partner was killed in the line of duty early in his career, his brother was shot and killed by a drug dealer in Phoenix, his mentally ill 27 year old son was shot and killed by police during his first week as the Chief after he killed an innocent bystander and a police officer. Somehow he's continued to lead, I admire that and admire what he's gone through and how he's persevered through all of that and now finds himself in the midst of this latest tragic event. Can't imagine going through all of that while leading the 9th largest police force in the nation.

I appreciate your perspective BRIowan, and thank you for doing one of the toughest jobs around. Des Moines or Dallas, it's a selfless and often unappreciated position.

• Fire 1

yes...I agree. I never had a problem with the Des Moines police while I was there and really didn't hear any complaints about them. I think when we moved away, Bradshaw was the chief and I was always impressed with her from what I saw on TV anyway. I was a neighbor to a captain in the force and he never said anything bad about her.

I would think in larger communities, it would be important to have really really good lower level officers that take complaints serious about street cops. They then pass those on up the chain of command and it has to be taken serious at all levels.

But, the public has to feel like they can go and make a valid complaint. I don't think many feel that way.

I'm not convinced that is the case today, in fact I'm pretty convinced that is not the case.

Wait, of course this is the case today.

Yes, it's a little less overt and a little less big of an issue than the 1960s; after all, those victories do not count for nothing. The same analogy is true for the 1960s versus the 1860s.

For example: you and I will never have a problem with police; we grew up with the idea that they were there to help. Much of that is thanks to the fact that we did not grow up black in America. Our parents will never have to tell us to take extra precautions, or we'll get killed by policemen. And we've never lived with the knowledge that if we are killed by a policeman, we live in a country that will largely shrug and applaud when the officer is almost certainly exonerated. We would never have trouble apartment hunting. Etc, etc, etc. If there's one thing that should have been brought to the fore in this election cycle, it's that racism is extraordinarily alive and well.

A conservative writer for a site I can't remember put it well when he described it as the inevitable "negative externalities" of feeling like you're living under occupation, and not as an equal part of the community. The weight of indifference is powerful and crushing. The response to that is a protest movement.

I'm sorry, this is the B.S. I'm talking about, follow commands and you'll be fine. You aren't going to get killed just because you're black, that's an excuse and a weak one at that IMO. I'm not scared of black people, I'm not nervous around black people, and I'm not easily intimidated by anyone. I get tired of some people immediately making the excuse that I'm talking to them because they're a certain race. No, I'm not, I'm talking to you because you're apparently acting like an idiot and/or breaking the law and someone called and don't think you corner the market on being stupid with your jaded views of how you think I'm perceiving things. It's a disease that affects every race so you don't get to be selfish with it, but it does provide job security as it will always exist.

I'd also say in 15 years of doing this, I've fought with WAY more white people than I have any other race and that includes my stint in corrections. I've pointed my weapon at several people of all races, but more largely white people, you have a gun I tend to pay a little more attention to you, don't be stupid and I won't respond with mine, it's a pretty simple process, follow it and we'll get along fine, that doesn't mean you won't end up in jail for something. Break the law and that's what happens, don't and you won't..........most of the time, yes there are ****heads that will abuse their authority, screw those guys, just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should do something.

We have a stupid problem in this country and a lack of responsibility problem in this country. Everyone wants to blame someone else for their problems and wants someone else to fix it. Have the drive to fix it yourself and have the perspective to see how you got yourself into a certain situation and figure out how to get out of it. Quit using your race or your situation to make excuses as to why you can't do something. Because there are plenty of people out there of all races that have brought themselves out of the pit of hell to do the things they wanted to do and to have a good life because of it. I've got respect for those people, I don't have respect for people who hold their hands out while pointing the finger blaming someone else for their situation. And before you think you know my situation and try to judge, just stop, because you don't, I could've VERY easily went down the wrong road and almost did.

I'll play. It was a game at parties at college and high school of running from police when the party was busted (because my Dad used to tell me stories about when he "got a ride home"). The highest "crime" we were running from was M.I.P.

If a black man runs from a possible "driving under suspended license"; there is historical precedence that he has been shot and killed (this is the story young black men hear a lot of the time). I think both are misdemeanors, not sure.

• Fire 1

cm talked about this in another thread, but it was a great point. There were these highly well-intentioned, but very damaging policy pushes. This is the libertarian side of me that is by default suspicious of the idea of "going hard" and "getting tough" as an actual solution to problems. It's the politically easy conclusion to make, though.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/8/12128858/police-racism-officers-admit

“When you put any type of numbers on a police officer to perform, we are going to go to the most vulnerable,” Adhyl Polanco, a New York City police officer, said. “We’re going to [the] LGBT community, we’re going to the black community, we’re going to go to those people that have no boat, that have no power.”

Police have some of the toughest jobs in the country, and by and large the force executes this job bravely and conscientiously. They don't deserve the morale blow they've had to deal with in the wake of misdirected public backlash. And the reprisal killings are an unconscionable outrage.

It's as much or more about the justice system and voter-supported policy. Minority communities are more likely to have these encounters with the law, and consequently they are disproportionately hurtled down the path towards irredeemable criminal status.

I mean, the good news is that it seems like people are getting on the same page. Public opinion has swelled behind #BLM. Police depts, as far as I'm concerned, are leading the way. Politicians are starting to abandon the efforts of the 80s and 90s as misguided. All of these things should feed off each other, and not saying "Job's done, go home" is a necessary part of that. So is the importance of remembering not to demonize. Outrage should be trained at injustice, not at police officers.

You guys aren't going to believe this, but I had a contact with law enforcement about six weeks ago, over Memorial Day weekend. I know, I know, you think I'm perfect and never do anything wrong, but sometimes I err. I'm human.

I got pulled over on a highway near Lincoln by a State Trooper. I had my window down when he walked up to my car, both hands on the wheel in plain sight, and I addressed him as "Trooper." I got his permission to get into my glove box for my registration, and into my wallet for my license/proof of insurance. I spoke calmly, respectfully, and answered his questions quickly and politely.

I got away with a warning, even though I was doing nine over. I think a lot of that had to do with my attitude, and being professional and polite. It's not hard, even though I had no interest in cop contact that moment.

I only drive 9 over on the interstate ;)

They seriously stop you for 9 over the speed limit over there? :lol:

In Nebraska? Definitely. You typically get a ticket for 5 over.

As a result of of this regressive leftist way of thinking, black people are clearly privileged when it comes to harbouring and spreading attitudes of racial hatred and even violence against police.

One of the Black Lives Matter co-founders can tweet about killing white people, and society's collective response is a resounding "meh". BLM protesters can chant about wanting dead cops, and there's a frenzied effort to downplay or even flat out deny that (albeit minor) component of the BLM movement.

The Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver can get caught on tape saying he's going to fight n#ggers, and society makes him pay a far heavier price for saying that.

To be clear, he should pay that price. The problem is it's not paid on the other side of the fence.

So we create this safe space for NBPP and BLM to spread all this hatred, then act surprised when it blows up in our face.

You can condemn the terror attack after the fact, but by then it's too little, too late. Those cops are already dead, and they're going to stay dead.

• Fire 2

You guys aren't going to believe this, but I had a contact with law enforcement about six weeks ago, over Memorial Day weekend. I know, I know, you think I'm perfect and never do anything wrong, but sometimes I err. I'm human.

I got pulled over on a highway near Lincoln by a State Trooper. I had my window down when he walked up to my car, both hands on the wheel in plain sight, and I addressed him as "Trooper." I got his permission to get into my glove box for my registration, and into my wallet for my license/proof of insurance. I spoke calmly, respectfully, and answered his questions quickly and politely.

I got away with a warning, even though I was doing nine over. I think a lot of that had to do with my attitude, and being professional and polite. It's not hard, even though I had no interest in cop contact that moment.

I only drive 9 over on the interstate ;)

They seriously stop you for 9 over the speed limit over there? :lol:

In Nebraska? Definitely. You typically get a ticket for 5 over.

not true, I drive 5 over everyday (140 miles a day) and never get a ticket, they just drive right by.. 9? for sure.

In a free society an innocent citizen should not be required to submit to orders that, in aggregate, amount to harassment.

isn't it against the law to ignore a lawful order by police, harassment or not? I won't argue that police stop people when they shouldn't.. I know they do, and that needs to stop.

As a result of of this regressive leftist way of thinking, black people are clearly privileged when it comes to harbouring and spreading attitudes of racial hatred and even violence against police.

One of the Black Lives Matter co-founders can tweet about killing white people, and society's collective response is a resounding "meh". BLM protesters can chant about wanting dead cops, and there's a frenzied effort to downplay or even flat out deny that (albeit minor) component of the BLM movement.

The Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver can get caught on tape saying he's going to fight n#ggers, and society makes him pay a far heavier price for saying that.

To be clear, he should pay that price. The problem is it's not paid on the other side of the fence.

So we create this safe space for NBPP and BLM to spread all this hatred, then act surprised when it blows up in our face.

You can condemn the terror attack after the fact, but by then it's too little, too late. Those cops are already dead, and they're going to stay dead.

You're confusing universal condemnation with apathy. You're not hearing a lot about the tweet because everyone everywhere agrees it's terrible. It's not "meh," it's "yep." Once we're all in agreement, what's to discuss?

There is no "safe space" for these people. They're universally condemned. Show us where they're being accepted, where violence against cops is considered OK by any but a fraction of not only society in general, but the BLM movement.

This helps explain the "dead cops" chant. Seems it was a fringe group not associated with the Millions March or Black Lives Matter.

Let's not cloud the discussion with wild claims and misinformation.

• Fire 1

Politicians are starting to abandon the efforts of the 80s and 90s as misguided.

I have a hypothetical question for the future. Since 1985, violent crime has decreased dramatically. What do we do if we abandon the policies put in place in the 80s and 90s and all of a sudden we see violent crime drastically increasing again?

Politicians are starting to abandon the efforts of the 80s and 90s as misguided.

I have a hypothetical question for the future. Since 1985, violent crime has decreased dramatically. What do we do if we abandon the policies put in place in the 80s and 90s and all of a sudden we see violent crime drastically increasing again?

What policies were put in place in the 80s and 90s that are contributing to the decline in violent crime? I've seen two different links to the drop in violent crime - one is the increased availability of abortions, meaning fewer children born into depressed circumstances and thus turning to a life of crime; and a reduction in lead in the environment. The lead thing is a tenuous link, but it's interesting.

What policies were put in place in the 80s and 90s that are contributing to the decline in violent crime? I've seen two different links to the drop in violent crime - one is the increased availability of abortions, meaning fewer children born into depressed circumstances and thus turning to a life of crime; and a reduction in lead in the environment. The lead thing is a tenuous link, but it's interesting.

I don't know. I'm not even sure I can list policies from that era that need to be abandoned.

It's just a common theme for people to claim that we need to abandon policies from that era. :dunno

I remember Bill Clinton putting 100,000 more police on the streets to be tougher on crime. Other than that, I'm not sure what these statements mean.