The 2016 Democrat National Convention

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2016/07/is-hillary-channeling-chairman-mao-video

Yes goggle images of chairman Mao and you will something similar to Hillary's official DNC poster.

This is garbage.

OK...if they are selling that poster at the convention, it's pretty damn stupid and I would love to hear the designer of the poster explain why he/she thought it was a great poster.

They are selling that poster on Hillary's website:

https://shop.hillaryclinton.com/products/hrc-portrait-poster

"Originally designed by Tony Puryear in 2008—and currently featured in the Smithsonian Portrait Gallery—this iconic print will make any room look a little more presidential."

BwjQWHk.jpg

You would have to be a raving lunatic to put that poster in your house. (no offense to anyone who owns that poster)

EDIT - here's the Hillary poster next to the Mao poster if you don't want to watch that video...

vSEYMQu.jpg

He actively led a witch-hunt to delegitimize her husband because he is a black man.

I'm surprised she had as much restraint as she did.

And the Obamas have taken the high road, personally. That doesn't mean that that everyone else at that convention is just going to let Trump skate by.

Umm...Barack has never taken the high road against Republicans and has called them terrorists before. The only thing he is passionate about anymore is bashing Republicans so I 100% disagree that he has taken the high road, but will agree that Michelle has overall.

He was openly courting Republicans last night. Talking about the military. Talking about "real America". Talking about Reagan and how his values no longer apply to the party.

True statement.

Hmm...how do Reagan's values no longer apply to the Republican party? All parties evolve, and the Democratic party today is nothing like that of JFK's Democratic party. Both parties have moved to the left and right.

As for Obama talking about the military and the real america, that is a joke. He is extremely out of touch and not well liked by the military or veterans in general.

Ummm.....you answered your own question.

Not really...I was asking YOU for specifics on how things are completely different. From what I can tell, the GOP still seeks lower taxes and less government as Reagan did, as well as a strong military and aggressive approach to foreign policy.

True......and they think their path to that is through anger, bigotry, racism, and creating this view that the other side is evil and unAmerican.

That isn't how Reagan ran campaigns or how he ran the government. He reached across the isle to work with Tip O'nell instead of pumping out constant hatred and propaganda painting them as the enemy.

Reagan would be appalled at Conservatives now days. He worked hard to push his agenda but in a way that unified people.

There isn't one damn thing unifying about the Republican party right now unless you are an angry old white man who claims to be Christian.

THAT is not the Reagan Republican party.

You are a riot sometimes. It's true their is dissent in the GOP today, but I think even less unity in the Democratic party. And I am not sure Reagan would have been able to be as unifying if he were running in 2016 with the rise of the Internet, cable news, social media, etc.. People now have more outlets to share their political views than just casting a ballot every other November. Reagan didn't have to deal with that. The propaganda machine you saw against Bush 43 in 2006 was just a glimpse of how the Dems would have gone after Reagan in the 1980s if they had the same tools at their disposal. I think Reagan was an awesome POTUS, but both parties seem to be stuck on this notion that we have to repeat his time as POTUS, and that is just not reality given the changing political climate I referenced above.

The same qualities you reference about Reagan reaching across to Tip is the same reason I hold Bill Clinton in much higher regard than Obama. Obama has done nothing to try to meet the GOP in the middle despite claims from some on here that it was solely because the Congress was unwilling to work with him. That's a big reason you are seeing the anger in the GOP today as we have a POTUS that only thinks of himself and how things benefit him politically, rather than focusing on what is best for the country.

As for the GOP coalition, I would say it includes the following:

• Whites like you mentioned, both men and women
  • Christians/Evangelicals
  • Pro-business voters that believe in capitalism
  • Those favoring less government
  • Military personnel
  • Veterans
  • Law enforcement
  • Jews (on the rise in their move to the GOP)

As for the GOP being racist, why are you making such claims.

Wow, this just keeps getting better at the DNC. Not only are they offering money to fill seats at the arena tonight, they are also showing their complete hypocrisy by stripping delegate credentials from those who are Bernie delegates. The Dems always claim to be the "open-minded" party yet continue to show that they are only open when someone agrees completely with their viewpoint.

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/bernie-delegate-dnc-credentials-stripped-held-unauthorized-sign/

"Originally designed by Tony Puryear in 2008—and currently featured in the Smithsonian Portrait Gallery—this iconic print will make any room look a little more presidential."

BwjQWHk.jpg

You would have to be a raving lunatic to put that poster in your house. (no offense this should be offensive to anyone who owns that poster)

:facepalm:

Correction above.

BwjQWHk.jpg

You would have to be a raving lunatic to put that poster in your house. (no offense to anyone who owns that poster)

EDIT - here's the Hillary poster next to the Mao poster if you don't want to watch that video...

vSEYMQu.jpg

Thanks Knapp - when I was trying to copy and paste the posters I'd get that pop up error box saying you can't post the file or picture type on Huskerboard Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

He actively led a witch-hunt to delegitimize her husband because he is a black man.

And the Obamas have taken the high road, personally. That doesn't mean that that everyone else at that convention is just going to let Trump skate by.

Umm...Barack has never taken the high road against Republicans and has called them terrorists before. The only thing he is passionate about anymore is bashing Republicans so I 100% disagree that he has taken the high road, but will agree that Michelle has overall.

He was openly courting Republicans last night. Talking about the military. Talking about "real America". Talking about Reagan and how his values no longer apply to the party.

True statement.

Hmm...how do Reagan's values no longer apply to the Republican party? All parties evolve, and the Democratic party today is nothing like that of JFK's Democratic party. Both parties have moved to the left and right.

As for Obama talking about the military and the real america, that is a joke. He is extremely out of touch and not well liked by the military or veterans in general.

Not really...I was asking YOU for specifics on how things are completely different. From what I can tell, the GOP still seeks lower taxes and less government as Reagan did, as well as a strong military and aggressive approach to foreign policy.

True......and they think their path to that is through anger, bigotry, racism, and creating this view that the other side is evil and unAmerican.

That isn't how Reagan ran campaigns or how he ran the government. He reached across the isle to work with Tip O'nell instead of pumping out constant hatred and propaganda painting them as the enemy.

Reagan would be appalled at Conservatives now days. He worked hard to push his agenda but in a way that unified people.

There isn't one damn thing unifying about the Republican party right now unless you are an angry old white man who claims to be Christian.

You are a riot sometimes. It's true their is dissent in the GOP today, but I think even less unity in the Democratic party. And I am not sure Reagan would have been able to be as unifying if he were running in 2016 with the rise of the Internet, cable news, social media, etc.. People now have more outlets to share their political views than just casting a ballot every other November. Reagan didn't have to deal with that. The propaganda machine you saw against Bush 43 in 2006 was just a glimpse of how the Dems would have gone after Reagan in the 1980s if they had the same tools at their disposal. I think Reagan was an awesome POTUS, but both parties seem to be stuck on this notion that we have to repeat his time as POTUS, and that is just not reality given the changing political climate I referenced above.

The same qualities you reference about Reagan reaching across to Tip is the same reason I hold Bill Clinton in much higher regard than Obama. Obama has done nothing to try to meet the GOP in the middle despite claims from some on here that it was solely because the Congress was unwilling to work with him. That's a big reason you are seeing the anger in the GOP today as we have a POTUS that only thinks of himself and how things benefit him politically, rather than focusing on what is best for the country.

• Military personnel
  • Veterans
  • Law enforcement

Why is it that every time a criticism of the Republican party comes up your immediate response is...."But the Democrats are so bad....bla bla bla".

I agree the Democrats suck. That's why I will never vote for them. But, I (and many other former Republican voters) find that they can no longer vote Republican due to what they have become. Fix that and rule the world. Don't fix that and allow the Dems to run all over you.

As for why I believe this? Look at what they do and say along with the absolute total crap Republicans put out on social media as propaganda. It baffles me that a sane person can look at this crap and say...."hey....I want to be a part of this group".

• Fire 7

Haha, my word! That is ... a weird kind of retro.

I took a brief look at that site; literally every other piece of merch is more modern-looking than that. Including the 'pantsuit palette bumper sticker combo' and the actual photos of Hillary from decades ago.

True statement.

• Military personnel
  • Veterans
  • Law enforcement

Why is it that every time a criticism of the Republican party comes up your immediate response is...."But the Democrats are so bad....bla bla bla".

I agree the Democrats suck. But, I (and many other former Republican voters) find that they can no longer vote Republican due to what they have become. Fix that and rule the world. Don't fix that and allow the Dems to run all over you.

As for why I believe this? Look at what they do and say along with the absolute total crap Republicans put out on social media as propaganda. It baffles me that a sane person can look at this crap and say...."hey....I want to be a part of this group".

And as I stated earlier, there are many common components of Conservatism that still stand today (remain Reagan's 3 stools of Conservatism). I agree that the tone and partisanship has changed since the 1980s, but as I pointed out, I don't think Reagan would have fared as well in today's high-tech hyper-partisan environment. It is what it is, and I don't see that changing for a long time. Reagan would never have dreamed there would be a time where so many Democrats and left-leaning groups would be supporting a group like Black Lives Matters that have called for the killing of cops at some of their rallies. So I think your attempt to always compare the GOP from the 80s to today is not a fair comparison, just as it wouldn't be to compare the Dems from the 1960s to today. We live in a different world.

As for calling the GOP racists, again, send me a list of Republican elected officials that are actively making racist statements today?

True statement.

• Military personnel
  • Veterans
  • Law enforcement

I agree the Democrats suck. But, I (and many other former Republican voters) find that they can no longer vote Republican due to what they have become. Fix that and rule the world. Don't fix that and allow the Dems to run all over you.

And as I stated earlier, there are many common components of Conservatism that still stand today (remain Reagan's 3 stools of Conservatism). I agree that the tone and partisanship has changed since the 1980s, but as I pointed out, I don't think Reagan would have fared as well in today's high-tech hyper-partisan environment. It is what it is, and I don't see that changing for a long time. Reagan would never have dreamed there would be a time where so many Democrats and left-leaning groups would be supporting a group like Black Lives Matters that have called for the killing of cops at some of their rallies. So I think your attempt to always compare the GOP from the 80s to today is not a fair comparison, just as it wouldn't be to compare the Dems from the 1960s to today. We live in a different world.

As for calling the GOP racists, again, send me a list of Republican elected officials that are actively making racist statements today?

Don't believe that for a bit. Reagan took over an era that was very very similar to this with partisan politics. We were in the midst of the Carter era and it was total crap.

Republicans had absolutely NO desire to work with or do anything with the Dems. However, Reagan came along and instilled a proud and calming feeling in not just the Republicans but in the entire country. That is why he won by such huge margins especially in his second term.

Fast forward to now, instead of that, we have an egotistical 2 year old FANNING the flames of hatred.

True statement.

• Military personnel
  • Veterans
  • Law enforcement

Don't believe that for a bit. Reagan took over an era that was very very similar to this with partisan politics. We were in the midst of the Carter era and it was total crap.

Republicans had absolutely NO desire to work with or do anything with the Dems. However, Reagan came along and instilled a proud and calming feeling in not just the Republicans but in the entire country. That is why he won by such huge margins especially in his second term.

Fast forward to now, instead of that, we have an egotistical 2 year old FANNING the flames of hatred.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Things are much worse and more divided now than in 1980. I think Reagan is awesome and always will, but I don't think he would have won 49 states in this day and age. Blue states have gotten more blue, and red states have gotten more red.