The 2016 Democrat National Convention

The US is supposed to be a Representative Republic. Meaning, the people are supposed to vote to see who they want representing them in Washington.

Right now, at least as proven in the Democratic party, that is a total sham.

+1

We can look all across this nation of democratic controlled cities that are failing, this is exactly why Trump has the support he does. Because democratic policies are failures.

This country will collapse if we continue down this path, and I don't care who is the president.

You really have no clue what my post was about....do you?

• Fire 1

Just listened to the Bill speech in the background while working. I think he did a good job of humanizing Hillary by telling stories that don't see the light of day. Also did a good job laying out what she has accomplished and some veiled shots at Trump and the fear mongering R convention.

I was reminded of something last night.

I really despise listening to Bill Clinton give a speech.

I agree..you know hes a phony yet many still fall for it. Had he stuck to policy it would not have been as bad, but talking about a love story between two people married for political power didnt even pass the sniff test with Rachel Maddow. Juanita Broderick and his other victims will be making their stories more known in the coming months if the Clintons are going to claim they are champions of women.

zoogs, I know you're not saying there's nothing to criticize, and I don't hold to some false equivalency making these two parties equal. But you, in my opinion, are definitely revealing your allegiance in the different reactions to the different circuses surrounding each respective convention. Not saying you're defensive, par se, but you're not really offering any criticism of your own, which surprises me, thinking of you as one of the most reasonable, balanced, fair posters I've ever interacted with.

This DNC email thing is a mess. DWS has handled it terribly from the start and she got her walking papers. Clean out the idiot that made that email about Bernie's religion, too, and anyone else producing anything else as offensive. Let's reboot and try again.

But let's lay out a few undeniable facts about this situation:

• This is what happens when you peel back the curtain on politics. The ones saying the RNC would have similar inner workings are exactly right. These nasty, tooth and nail, inside baseball type of tactics are commonplace in cutthroat politics, most of us just don't think about it most of the time.
  • The Democratic party had reason to want HRC to win instead of Bernie. That's not to say that they should have done this, of course-- they should be a neutral arbiter. But that they preferred a candidate should surprise no one.
  • Zoogs is right-- in our system, primary voting is worth about a plugged nickel, since the parties make the rules and they can select their nominee at will. General elections is where votes ultimately always matter.
  • Bernie didn't lose because democracy was subverted, or it was ripped away from him, or anything else along those lines. He lost because he appealed to too narrow a slice of Americans, and in particular could not appeal to minorities, which is key for Democrats. That said, that this went on was sh**ty and his supporters are right to be aggrieved right now. To his own credit, Bernie himself let it go because he can see the endgame.

And finally, who's really going to vote on the DWS-DNC email scandal in the fall? Anyone? This will be a blip by then. Maybe some Sanders supporters, but they likely weren't in her corner before this anyway.

Wow, nice try at spinning this as not being a huge deal. That seems to be the common response for anything that Hillary or the DNC is doing wrong..."well, they all do it" seems to be the canned response. There is no way of knowing how different the Democratic primaries would have turned out had Hillary not been pushed by the DNC from the get go. Despite being behind nearly 600 delegates (via Superdelegates) before the first state even voted, Bernie was very close up until the end. This will make a huge impact this fall as Bernie received close to half of all votes in the Democratic primaries. While a good number of his supporters will end up supporting Hillary, a good number will not and will either vote for Trump, Johnson, Stein, or stay home. The larger that group that chooses to not support Hillary, the bigger impact it will have in November.

And let's not forget one key factor in this rigged DNC mess...DWS spearheaded all of this and left her post, BUT the HIllary campaign immediately moved to hire her and put her in a key role for the fall campaign. How is her presence as part of HIllary's campaign going to make many Bernie Sanders want to rush to join Team Hillary.

As of yesterday, I think I saw that 5% of those Bernie voters will vote for Trump.

The diehards can do what they will. Bernie won 13 million some votes in the primary. Winning a general generally portends 60 or 70 million. If you add ALL of his voters to her 16 million votes, she's not even halfway there. She's not winning this election on the backs of Sanders voters anyway you slice it. The election is won elsewhere.

I don't get the optics of appointing DWS to an honorary (likely cushy do-nothing) position. But I doubt it's a key position. They can't be politically dumb enough to give her any kind of public visibility after all of this.

But I stand by my assertion. I feel awful for Bernie about all of this. It's wrong and it stinks. I can't stand DWS. But he ran the weaker campaign and he lost, accordingly. And no, I still don't think this drastically changes anything come November.

If this is a close election, Bernie supporters could very well alter the outcome. Nader altered the outcome of the 2000 election with less than 3 million votes. Only 5% of Bernie voters may vote for Trump but a much larger percentage will vote 3rd party or stay home. I was on the fence on whether I'd vote for Johnson or Clinton but after this, I'm now planning to vote for Johnson.

The US is supposed to be a Representative Republic. Meaning, the people are supposed to vote to see who they want representing them in Washington.

+1

We can look all across this nation of democratic controlled cities that are failing, this is exactly why Trump has the support he does. Because democratic policies are failures.

This country will collapse if we continue down this path, and I don't care who is the president.

of course I do, and what we have is nowhere near what was created and intended. I took it a bit further and included all policies.

The key difference is being the limitations on government.. and the role citizens play

my comment was 100% right on with what you posted, if it isn't please explain what you meant.

+1

of course I do, and what we have is nowhere near what was created and intended. I took it a bit further and included all policies.

The key difference is being the limitations on government.. and the role citizens play

My post had absolutely nothing to do with policies.

+1

My post had absolutely nothing to do with policies.

Yeah, which is why I said I took it further.. but then again when referring to the different types of government, policies are what drives each of them. Trying to say you didn't mean policies is a bit disingenuous, consider what you are talking about.

What if trump had decided to run as a D? Or David Duke? Should party officials (representatives who are paid to represent and guard the interests of a party) been required to give them an equal shake?

The FEC is a totally different animal than a national political party. I don't consider that analogous in the least.

I'll just say this, I wish the powers that be had forced the RNC into a more responsible choice than Trump. Unfortunately that entire field was bereft of adult thinkers. Except maybe kasich and bush and they both ran weak campaigns.

I wish the RNC has been less unbiased and had favored them more.

We need some adults pushing back this populist tide. I sincerely feel that way.

Not saying the DNC officials were motivated by that rather than personal payoffs and favors though.

Agree strongly with the bold.

As for Trump's victory -- I don't think the RNC was that unbiased.

They didn't take his threat seriously until it was a little late. They chose their own coalition who were going to be susceptible to Trump's messaging, and were completely ignorant of this (remember the '12 election postmortem?) And they had set their own rules in 2012 to help pave the way for their establishment candidate -- an expediency which then came to bite them this cycle.

Say one thing about Trump, he knows how to steal the spot light. :movegoalpost: Typically when one party has a convention the other party goes 'on vacation' and allows the convention party to have their day in the sun. Not showman Trump. :movegoalpost::movegoalpost:

His "I hope the Russians can find Hillary's 30K lost emails" is not only funny ( In light of the Dems said Russia was working wt Trump to hack the DNC emls) but it got people talking about him instead of Bill's over the top speech about Saint Hillary - oh, Bill did not mention the year 1998 (can you say Monica) and the charity work of the Clinton Foundation/Global Initiative in his speech (can you say contribution scandal)

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/election/donald-trump/article92103212.html

• Fire 1

We're going to pass that off as a joke? Oi.

Note sure if I understand your "joke comment Knapp, but I'll try to respond to what I think you said. No I'm not saying it is a joke - the actually thing that he said. What I found 'funny' is that this guy has the balls to say it esp when he as the opponent is suppose to be quiet during Hillary's convention per normal convention tradition. - it just amazes me what he continues to do. It was a planned diversion by trump to get attention off of the D convention, back to him and also on Hillary's emls. Now one can debate if it is a treasonable action as was mentioned on the other thread (doubtful) but in light of the DNC emls and Hillary eml issue, Trump probably thought he had the opening to say some outrageous thing to get everyone to focus on him, away from anything good said at the convention and back on Hilary's negatives.