The 2016 Democrat National Convention

JJ, you're aware that the Democratic party is a private organization, and not the actual government, right?

This isn't remotely like Watergate. It's the Panama Papers.

Correct. From what I have seen anyway, the things in the emails are perfectly legal for the DNC to be talking about. However, it should show their members something very disturbing in the behind the scenes operations of a political party. And...for the record.....The Republicans should feel very uneasy about this too.

This is what happens in political parties. It's a bunch of total scum bags that really don't give a flying rip about you or me. All they care about is that person who can raise 1,000,000 for the party and how can we beat the other party (no matter if is't morally right or not).

I will 102.73% guarantee that, were the RNC emails hacked, there would be similar conversations about Trump. Like Bernie, Trump is an outsider to the party who usurped the primaries and diverted them from what the party wanted. Unlike Bernie, Trump actually won.

Just because Trump won doesn't mean the Republican party is happy about it, and didn't try to prevent it.

Let's not kid ourselves.

Oh you better believe there would be. Trump is really hated for what is he doing to the Republican party, good or bad.. and I think it is actually a good thing.

• Fire 1

JJ, you're aware that the Democratic party is a private organization, and not the actual government, right?

Yes, I'm aware it is a private organization. Maybe Watergate wasn't the best analogy since, as a private organization, they can do as they like with promoting whoever they want. I guess I glommed onto the Watergate deal since it was similar that they had insiders in the Sanders camp feeding them intel. But the whole Sanders thing is not what bothered me the most about it. The fact that they portray themselves as being for minorities, blacks and LGBT but yet it seems to be the DNC culture to make fun of African American sounding names and use the word homo in a disparaging fashion. To have certain media outlets that run stuff by them before it goes to print or on air, even though so many claim these media outlets are not in the bag for Democrats or liberals. To fake protest and get their preferred media to cover it like it's a real thing. To acknowledge, in house, that the financial condition of the country is not good and likely to get worse with Hillary's proposed economic policies, but to present to the people of this country that things are all rosy financially and Hillary is the answer to make things even better. Those are the things that bother me. When and where will their lying and cheating and hypocrisy end? It really makes little difference to me that they are a private organization and not the government. Who do you think ends up running the government when they win?

Correct. From what I have seen anyway, the things in the emails are perfectly legal for the DNC to be talking about. However, it should show their members something very disturbing in the behind the scenes operations of a political party. And...for the record.....The Republicans should feel very uneasy about this too.

This is what happens in political parties. It's a bunch of total scum bags that really don't give a flying rip about you or me. All they care about is that person who can raise 1,000,000 for the party and how can we beat the other party (no matter if is't morally right or not).

I will 102.73% guarantee that, were the RNC emails hacked, there would be similar conversations about Trump. Like Bernie, Trump is an outsider to the party who usurped the primaries and diverted them from what the party wanted. Unlike Bernie, Trump actually won.

Just because Trump won doesn't mean the Republican party is happy about it, and didn't try to prevent it.

Let's not kid ourselves.

How about we wait until the RNC actually gets caught with their hand in the cookie jar also before we use that to excuse the actual transgressions of the ones who did get caught this time? And, if you're right about the RNC not wanting Trump (like you probably are), does that make what the DNC did any better? No, it doesn't. Once again, two wrongs don't make a right. My point isn't that the repubs are better but rather that both national parties are not worthy of anyone's support.

These things so often seem to go against the R's and in favor of the D's. Surely, you wouldn't begrudge anyone the opportunity to present the other side of the coin when it appears.

Now that is how you give a speech!

#Michelle2020

I like Michelle Obama and all, but no thank you. After Bush I & II, and with the threat of Clinton II on the horizon, I'm done with political dynasties in this country.

We got rid of kings for a reason. Let's keep it that way.

• Fire 3

#Michelle2020

Michelle is the most popular person in the Obama administration and did well. If only her husband had the class she has.

However I think she made one mistake in the line that stated the GOP goes low and the Dems stay high. That sets an expectation that the remaining speakers will not be going negative against Republicans or will be trashing Trump. But...Warren is now up and trashing Republicans and Trump. I also thinks its odd that she talks about the high stock market and the lack of wealth being shared...but not acknowledging that these stock market highs have occurred under Obama. She also stated that Trump did not talk about the little guy, minorities, or helping to raise wages...did she write this speech before seeing his? He focused heavily on those topics.

#Michelle2020

I like Michelle Obama and all, but no thank you. After Bush I & II, and with the threat of Clinton II on the horizon, I'm done with political dynasties in this country.

We got rid of kings for a reason. Let's keep it that way.

100% agree.

The hashtag was a take on the pundits saying anyone who gives a good speech is setting themselves up for 4, 8 ,12 years down the road.

• Fire 1

^ It's sort of true, to an extent. Conventions are an opportunity for people to make a splash on the big stage. President Obama's future candidacy was effectively launched with the 2004 convention speech, wasn't it?

I'd also say the bigger reason we don't have kings is for their concentration of power, so in a republic where we elect temporary administrators and not almighty idol monarchs, we shouldn't have an issue with "dynasties" -- if someone capable enough to become president does so once, it's not at all unlikely they'll have family members just as -- or perhaps better -- fit for the role.

For the Bernie fans out there.....has he ever said how he proposes to pay for all that massive new spending he would like to see? Trump or Clinton are scary enough but Sanders, he would be the worst of them. So glad he didn't get the nomination. That would've forced me into doing something very distasteful. Pretty concerning if he is influencing the dem platform.

Tax increases, mostly at the top, but also in general. The way most things get paid for. We can afford it, of course, which isn't the same as saying it's the best idea, or that it stood any chance of passing, or that it was going to be the panacea he wanted it to be.

I don't think it's a crazy idea by any means, though. I especially think his campaign was too high on ideology (good one as it may be) and too low on attention paid to policy detail. I hesitate to compare him to Trump on the latter regard, as that's some next level policy ignorance going on there.

Anyway. I'm very glad Bernie didn't get nominated either, so perhaps I'm not the best to give an answer.

Now that is how you give a speech!#Michelle2020

I like Michelle Obama and all, but no thank you. After Bush I & II, and with the threat of Clinton II on the horizon, I'm done with political dynasties in this country.We got rid of kings for a reason. Let's keep it that way.
I'm also opposed to dynastic politics but she'll have my vote if I believe she is the best candidate.

For the Bernie fans out there.....has he ever said how he proposes to pay for all that massive new spending he would like to see? Trump or Clinton are scary enough but Sanders, he would be the worst of them. So glad he didn't get the nomination. That would've forced me into doing something very distasteful. Pretty concerning if he is influencing the dem platform.

First of all, he would obviously not ever be able to achieve his more outlandish ideas because the President doesn't have that kind of unchecked power.

However, this confuses me a little. Very consistently (and admirably, I think), you're frustrated and calling out the hypocrisy and the lack of integrity we're finding in both national parties, with hardly any kind of reference of any kind to actual policy. But then there's Bernie, who might be crazy with policy that he'll never be able to enact, but by all public accounts has been a consistent champion for the less fortunate in our country, isn't indebted to massive donors or to wall street, and seems pretty high up on the integrity list, but in his case you mostly only seem to look at "that idea is cuckoo".

What's the deal there? This isn't any kind of accusation or agression btw, just genuinely confused.

• Fire 1