The 2016 Democrat National Convention

Maybe someone tonight will give Barbara Bush's speech from 16 years ago and so Repubs will just focus on that all week and not about all these other dumpster fire issues.

refresh my memory on that speech - must have been all sugar

I don't remember it. But....watch tonight. You might see it again.

Maybe someone tonight will give Barbara Bush's speech from 16 years ago and so Repubs will just focus on that all week and not about all these other dumpster fire issues.

You're probably right but what people, D's and R's alike, should be focusing on are the contents of those DNC emails.

Seriously, anyone who hasn't read those should not be allowed to vote.

I think most of us can agree that we don't want Clinton/Trump to be re-elected. Unless we think Supreme Court justices outweigh the other stuff.

I don't want either of them elected the first time. But I do think the Supreme Court justices are more important in the grand scheme than who lives in the White House for 4 years.

Have you read those leaked emails?

I mean, yeah, there are embarrassments. There's less than savory behavior. And there should be consequences for that. Lumbering, giant organizations are weighed down with ugly infighting and instances of poor direction. Having assumed that all huge organizations were uniformly admirable in every facet of their personnel and activities, I'm stunned.

But if you're more inclined to over the top outrage and eager to declare D & R equally dangerous, there's a long, long, long, long list to run down for the GOP -- spoken priorities, current rhetoric, and actions.

There's nothing remotely similar about the prospects of a Clinton presidency punctuated by fierce political opposition and a healthily skeptical public regarding their president's intentions -- and a Trump 'presidency'. But the charades will continue to ably distract us from that conversation -- as they did last week, when we all oohed and aahed at some inadvertent plagiarism and was that maybe a Nazi salute. I mean, it really was a poor show they put on, but the bigger, more worrisome developments are not the ones that make for social media slams and fodder.

The idea that politics is broken is appealing. But if we are slaves to spectacle, the realities we get are nothing less than we deserve.

• Fire 1

I mean, yeah, there are embarrassments. There's less than savory behavior. And there should be consequences for that. Lumbering, giant organizations are weighed down with ugly infighting and instances of poor direction. Having assumed that all huge organizations were uniformly admirable in every facet of their personnel and activities, I'm stunned.

But if you're more inclined to over the top outrage and eager to declare D & R equally dangerous, there's a long, long, long, long list to run down for the GOP -- spoken priorities, current rhetoric, and actions.

There's nothing remotely similar about the prospects of a Clinton presidency punctuated by fierce political opposition and a healthily skeptical public regarding their president's intentions -- and a Trump 'presidency'. But the charades will continue to ably distract us from that conversation -- as they did last week, when we all oohed and aahed at some inadvertent plagiarism and was that maybe a Nazi salute. I mean, it really was a poor show they put on, but the bigger, more worrisome developments are not the ones that make for social media slams and fodder.

The idea that politics is broken is appealing. But if we are slaves to spectacle, the realities we get are nothing less than we deserve.

Embarrassments and less than savory behavior......that's all you got out of those emails?

You might need to take a few steps back and reevaluate. Or not....

Personally, I would rank it in the Watergate neighborhood, if not worse. And I'm not hoping it does Trump any good, although I think it will. My hope is that it gets some on your side of the fence to wake up and maybe enough more people will give up on this perceived lesser of two evils bullsh#t that we have had to settle for. The only thing that will get either of these two shams of political parties to straighten out is a serious scare from some third party candidates. If a person can look at those emails and still vote for Hillary or dems, IMO they are no better than your opinion of people who support Trump. My analogy would be, it's like a Nebraska fan who would be happy with cheating, embarrassing antics and rampant criminal behavior as long as the record looked good at the end of the year.

There is a 3rd option...

Embarrassments and less than savory behavior......that's all you got out of those emails?

You might need to take a few steps back and reevaluate. Or not....

Personally, I would rank it in the Watergate neighborhood, if not worse. And I'm not hoping it does Trump any good, although I think it will. My hope is that it gets some on your side of the fence to wake up and maybe enough more people will give up on this perceived lesser of two evils bullsh#t that we have had to settle for. The only thing that will get either of these two shams of political parties to straighten out is a serious scare from some third party candidates. If a person can look at those emails and still vote for Hillary or dems, IMO they are no better than your opinion of people who support Trump. My analogy would be, it's like a Nebraska fan who would be happy with cheating, embarrassing antics and rampant criminal behavior as long as the record looked good at the end of the year.

There is a 3rd option...

Anybody else read the bold and think of Bo?

JJ, you're aware that the Democratic party is a private organization, and not the actual government, right?

This isn't remotely like Watergate. It's the Panama Papers.

Correct. From what I have seen anyway, the things in the emails are perfectly legal for the DNC to be talking about. However, it should show their members something very disturbing in the behind the scenes operations of a political party. And...for the record.....The Republicans should feel very uneasy about this too.

This is what happens in political parties. It's a bunch of total scum bags that really don't give a flying rip about you or me. All they care about is that person who can raise 1,000,000 for the party and how can we beat the other party (no matter if is't morally right or not).

My hope is that it gets some on your side of the fence to wake up and maybe enough more people will give up on this perceived lesser of two evils bullsh#t that we have had to settle for.
If one day a party with a different name becomes this massive, and runs public primaries, I fully expect it to contain a "party establishment" that will freak out and keep an "outsider" from taking over, and the the "outsider" will feel deeply aggrieved and argue that this is illegitimate.
Yes, that's all. There wasn't a smoking gun.
Frankly, I think parties should completely decide amongst themselves whom to nominate. If they're out of touch with American voters, they'll make a bad choice and make way for a party that can make a good one.
No party will stay 'in touch' forever. Political organizations are necessary, but over time all organizations become cumbersome. To use a market analogy, look at companies -- start-ups versus the giants all the good ones inevitably become. There should be a freer flow between the new and old.
  • Fire 1

JJ, you're aware that the Democratic party is a private organization, and not the actual government, right?

This isn't remotely like Watergate. It's the Panama Papers.

Correct. From what I have seen anyway, the things in the emails are perfectly legal for the DNC to be talking about. However, it should show their members something very disturbing in the behind the scenes operations of a political party. And...for the record.....The Republicans should feel very uneasy about this too.

This is what happens in political parties. It's a bunch of total scum bags that really don't give a flying rip about you or me. All they care about is that person who can raise 1,000,000 for the party and how can we beat the other party (no matter if is't morally right or not).

I will 102.73% guarantee that, were the RNC emails hacked, there would be similar conversations about Trump. Like Bernie, Trump is an outsider to the party who usurped the primaries and diverted them from what the party wanted. Unlike Bernie, Trump actually won.

Just because Trump won doesn't mean the Republican party is happy about it, and didn't try to prevent it.

Let's not kid ourselves.

• Fire 1