Control of Congress

With the talk of Ryan giving up on Trump, there's talk that the GOP is scrambling to maintain control of the House at this point.

Wow...if they would lose the Whitehouse, Senate AND the House of Representatives??????

That would be an amazing turn of events.

Especially after the amount of gerrymandering the Republicans did on 2010.

• Fire 1

With the talk of Ryan giving up on Trump, there's talk that the GOP is scrambling to maintain control of the House at this point.

Wow...if they would lose the Whitehouse, Senate AND the House of Representatives??????

It would be dreamy.

Not related to Senate seats up for grabs this year, but Deb Fischer re-endorsed Trump yesteraday after asking for him to step down over the weekend.

Nebraska Sen. Deb Fischer on Tuesday reversed her call for Donald Trump to resign from the GOP ticket, telling a local radio station that it's "not a tough choice" to back him just three days after she urged him to quit.

"I plan to vote for Mr. Trump and Mr. Pence on November 8," she said on Nebraska's KLIN. "I put out a statement ... with regard to Mr. Trump's comments. I felt they were disgusting. I felt they were unacceptable and I never said I was not voting for our Republican ticket."

What Fischer had actually said was that "It would be wise for [Trump] to step aside and allow Mike Pence to serve as our party's nominee."

She said in the radio interview that she would no longer advocate that position because Trump had already made up his mind. (In fact, Trump tweeted barely an hour after Fischer's call, that he would "never" quit the race.)

I don't live in The Good Life anymore, so I don't closely follow their politicians too much. I know of Sasse because he is very Never Trump., but know nothing of Fischer.
  • Fire 1

It would be dreamy.

The only part of this that is dreamy is that hopefully conservatives would have a "come to Jesus" moment.

But, the problem with that is...I don't think that would happen. This wacko extreme thought process is engrained in a certain amount of their voting base so much that it is going to be extremely hard to overcome. I am very pessimistic that that can happen at this point.

I can't help but think that part of the reasons the 2012 postmortem fell on such deaf years is all the 2010 gerrymandering. The Republicans have locked themselves in so successfully that there really isn't a reason for them to try and change at the local levels. And without that sort of transformation it's hard for any real change to bubble up.

Here's a great quote from your article, BRB. Thanks for posting it.

Sean Illing

Do you feel complicit in any way in the creation of this Frankensteinian monster that is Trump? That’s not to say that you’ve been whipping voters into a frenzy all these years, but perhaps you’ve been blind to the role of conservative media in all of this.

Charlie Sykes

Oh, yes, absolutely. I’m different than Rush Limbaugh, but there’s no question that we got caught up in certain word salad, certain narratives that perhaps we did not fully understand how they were playing among our base.

Sean Illing

I’ve had this conversation with a lot of my conservative friends who are equally troubled by Trump. My point is always that Trump didn’t spring suddenly out of a whirlwind. Conservative media has been flirting with these darker forces for decades. Trump is the culmination of something, not the beginning.

Charlie Sykes

If you and I had this conversation a year ago, I would’ve disagreed with you vigorously. I would’ve said, “There you go again with the darker forces garbage.” Conservatives have been accused of this for years. But obviously there’s some truth to what you’ve just said.

I can't help but think that part of the reasons the 2012 postmortem fell on such deaf years is all the 2010 gerrymandering. The Republicans have locked themselves in so successfully that there really isn't a reason for them to try and change at the local levels. And without that sort of transformation it's hard for any real change to bubble up.

Here's a great quote from your article, BRB. Thanks for posting it.

Sean Illing

Do you feel complicit in any way in the creation of this Frankensteinian monster that is Trump? That’s not to say that you’ve been whipping voters into a frenzy all these years, but perhaps you’ve been blind to the role of conservative media in all of this.

Charlie Sykes

Oh, yes, absolutely. I’m different than Rush Limbaugh, but there’s no question that we got caught up in certain word salad, certain narratives that perhaps we did not fully understand how they were playing among our base.

Sean Illing

I’ve had this conversation with a lot of my conservative friends who are equally troubled by Trump. My point is always that Trump didn’t spring suddenly out of a whirlwind. Conservative media has been flirting with these darker forces for decades. Trump is the culmination of something, not the beginning.

Charlie Sykes

If you and I had this conversation a year ago, I would’ve disagreed with you vigorously. I would’ve said, “There you go again with the darker forces garbage.” Conservatives have been accused of this for years. But obviously there’s some truth to what you’ve just said.

That sent a chill down my spine when I read it.

This poll would mean something if it wasn't a biased NBC poll. NBC has it's name on 3 polls and all are biased. The NBC/WSJ poll, NBC/Marist polls, and the NBC/Survey Monkey polls.

One of the recent NBC/WSJ polls done a few weeks back weighted its voters with 47% who voted for Obama in 2012, and 33% for those who voted for Romney. Now Obama only beat Romney by 3.9%, so that would represent an oversampling of Dems by 10 points and would have given Trump a 4-point lead instead of Hillary a 6-point lead.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/09/media-lies-nbc-wsj-poll-hillary-6-points-weighted-14-democrat-voters/

I have to admit, I didn't really think that congressional control was genuinely up for grabs this time around. Turns out I was wrong:

Considering some early voting/absentee voting is already happening, this really is too little too late IMO for the GOP. Should have happened back in August, when the GOP was doing better at the state level and we knew then that Trump was (at best) a s***show of a candidate.

Frankly, because the GOP let Trump taint their brand for so long, I can easily see Trump endorsements becoming a scarlet letter and an eventual drag on 2018 GOP candidates/incumbents. Probably will take a couple of election cycles for Trump's taint to be washed clean from the GOP as a whole.

Probably right Lil Red. The House is still a possibility, albeit a bit of a longshot.

Trump has truly put Republican incumbents up for reelection in a horrible spot. They either support him. and have the large section of the GOP that cannot stomach Trump not turn out, or disavow him and face the wrath of his sizable coalition of voters.

I do not envy them.

Probably right Lil Red. The House is still a possibility, albeit a bit of a longshot.

Trump has truly put Republican incumbents up for reelection in a horrible spot. They either support him. and have the large section of the GOP that cannot stomach Trump not turn out, or disavow him and face the wrath of his sizable coalition of voters.

I do not envy them.

It's not really a possibility unless 1/4 of likely GOP voters decide not to vote. The Democrats will gain some seats though. Unless something's done about the gerrymandering the GOP will gain a lot in 2018.