A man you can bait with a Tweet

The economy is booming, unemployment is plummeting, minorities are doing better than ever, and American confidence in America has been restored. ISIS has been defeated, North Korea has been forced to the bargaining table, and our enemies fear us once again.

Remind me again why I should care what Trump tweets when he’s so clearly doing such a better job than Obama?

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The economy is booming, unemployment is plummeting, minorities are doing better than ever, and American confidence in America has been restored. ISIS has been defeated, North Korea has been forced to the bargaining table, and our enemies fear us once again.

Remind me again why I should care what Trump tweets when he’s so clearly doing such a better job than Obama?

You certainly don't have to come on this thread Ric.  Save yourself the frustration.

And the stuff you wrote above, well I think that's been tackled with facts in various threads specific to the topics.

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Unemployment continues at the same downward trend it has since 2010:

chartoftheday_8974_us_unemployment_rate_

North Korea has wanted a US President to come to the table for decades: Trump isn't the first US President to get a North Korean invite. But he's the first to accept.

And what enemy now fears us again? North Korea is getting what they want. Russia is cozy with the Trump administration. China doesn't fear the US.

Trump isn't doing better than Obama in any of those categories. It's lovely-sounding rhetoric, but it isn't true.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

How exactly is he doing better than Obama?

20 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

chartoftheday_8974_us_unemployment_rate_

lol. Year over year, the worst rate of reduction in that graph is 2016.

I don't think any one metric can be used for judging a presidency, or even 1 year (I would guess Trump's policies have almost nothing to do with any negative or positive metric so far) but it is always funny when the metric shows that the person touting it is saying silly things.

Also, Ric, we've had this conversation before. Trump is continuing trends that were in place under Obama. You're giving him undue credit for pretty much everything and refusing to give Obama credit where credit is due.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

So word this afternoon is that Stormy is going on 60 Minutes, and the Trump folks are trying to stop her legally.

A) I guess we're just not counting Roy Moore now?

B) Trump betrays his ignorance of history here. You can trace our current obstructionist gridlock mindset in Congress back to Newt Gingrich & his Contract with America in the 90s. McConnell used it to the hilt for 8 years to try to block Obama nominees. Trump complaining about it is rich. He is an ignorant fool.

C) Lol Rasmussen. If you didn't already know they're the Fox News of political polls. For a Republican to brag about Rasmussen numbers is pathetic.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

We have very different interpretations of where the country is at. Here's mine, for comparison:

1. The economy is doing pretty much what it's been doing for some time now. The stock market is doing very well, of which the tax bill probably played a decent part, but growth in company wealth isn't the only marker of the health of an economy. Those stock buybacks aren't going to last forever. Trump doesn't really seem to have any other economic plans besides his maybe-tariffs & complaining about trade deals.

2. See unemployment graph, but yes, unemployment continues to decrease at roughly the same clip it has been. Even the U-6 unemployment that economic geniuses like Trump loved to point to try to shame Obama has had virtually no course correction.

image.png.8c133c04030430a862118512a3f6d8d2.png

3. Wage growth rate for workers has seen virtually no improvement under Trump & the wage gap has worsened.

143451-17779.png
143452-17780.png

4. I don't know how to quantify minorities doing better or American confidence being restored. Those are subjective statements, and if you feel that way, well, good.

5.  I don't know how you measure what's going on with ISIS either. They've been largely driven out of Iraq & Syria, sure. But the human cost of essentially leveling entire cities and aggressive bombing campaigns remains, and I'm not really aware of some master plan Trump has to make sure some new group doesn't spring up in the power vacuum that's left to prevent the cycle from repeating. Carrying out massive military campaigns with sustained bombing that destroys other countries and then up & leaving are a big part of the reason that part of the world largely dislikes us in the first place.

6. North Korea hasn't been forced to the table, they're gleefully running to the table. No past American president would meet with them and given them what they badly wanted: legitimacy. But Trump just can't help his aching desire to the be the center of attention, so he's going to be the first. He's going to go over there, unprepared and winging it, try to put on a good show, and NoKo will predictably come tantalizingly close but ultimately refuse to dismantle their weapons. Because why would they? As soon as they do lose any bargaining power they do have. I'm sure they'll squeeze some concessions out of Trump anyway though, because he's mostly an ignorant rube.

7. Again, whether enemies fear us or not is subjective. I certainly feel they don't. I think they're laughing at us openly because our president is too vain and too much of a coward to fight the battles that need fighting, like formulating a real plan to counter China or saving our democracy from his puppetmaster in Moscow.

8. If you're happy with Trump, fine. I mean lots of people are. But you could just ignore him, like the stock market mostly does. For instance, they didn't really react to these tariffs at all. They've basically decided that Trump is mostly a loudmouth on Twitter without the courage of his convictions. So he can ramble about things the stock market wouldn't like all day, but if he never actually does anything about them, they can just ignore him. Just give us our tax cuts and stay out of our way.

But you shouldn't ignore him. Because his words still matter for the future of our country. Even if he doesn't act on them, he's badly damaging the standards of behavior we expect from our leaders. He's openly hostile to democratic norms in the same way Putin or Duterte or Assad or Erdogan or any other two-bit tinpot dictator is. I just hope the bar for our most basic expectations for presidential behavior hasn't been permanently lowered by the embarrassment currently rarely occupying in the West Wing between trips to his golf courses.

Edited by dudeguyy
  • Plus1 3

The economy has never been better? I would ask what he's smoking but he doesn't do drugs. Maybe he should start.

The economy has improved steadily since the recession which is great but I don't think anyone in their right mind would say at this time of all times we're in the best situation we've ever been.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I know I shouldn't be surprised by this, but he's getting his financial stats on this wall via Fox News.

He forgot to mention that he has yet to nominate candidates for 1/3 of positions in the admin.

I think he is using the same thought process he used when talking to the Canadian Prime Minister.  No Friggen CLUE what he is talking about.

He's also trying to get out of his campaign promise of saying Mexico is going to pay for the wall....hell.....it's going to pay for itself now.

• Plus1 1