A man you can bait with a Tweet

This man is awful and not a leader. All he knows how to do is tear others down and build himself up. People think Trump is disliked because he isn't PC but the truth is he isn't liked because he is quite literally the worst US President ever and unfortunately it has little to do with policy. 

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is what irks me the most. Everyone has their panties in a bunch over the kneeling, which isn't on record as being disrespectful to the flag, yet no one cares about the flag being used as a marketing tool by budweiser and all these other companies even though it is explicitly stated the flag shouldn't be used in that way and that disrespect our flag. If anything practicing your first amendment rights while the anthem is playing couldn't be any more patriotic. But what does our president know about that?

2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Look at that last tweet. What in the world is POTUS doing addressing ESPN ratings.  Does this guy have nothing better to do?  Aren't there more serious issues?  Does he think his opinion is so important that he must weigh in an these things???   It is appalling how far he has brought down the dignity of the office.  We talk about the dignity of the flag, and rightfully so, but there is also a dignity, a respect for the office.  Many got on Obama for the 'boots on the desk' picture but as president, there are other ways one can 'undignify' the office. Whether it be Clinton's under the desk play times or Trump tweets - this is not becoming of a President.  I remember President Reagan had so much respect for the oval office that he would not enter it without a tie.  May sound old fashion in today's world, but  the job, the office is to be held as a great honor and highly esteemed.  Each tweet diminishes the honor of the office.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Look at that last tweet. What in the world is POTUS doing addressing ESPN ratings.  Does this guy have nothing better to do?  Aren't there more serious issues?  Does he think his opinion is so important that he must weigh in an these things???   It is appalling how far he has brought down the dignity of the office.  We talk about the dignity of the flag, and rightfully so, but there is also a dignity, a respect for the office.  Many got on Obama for the 'boots on the desk' picture but as president, there are other ways one can 'undignify' the office. Whether it be Clinton's under the desk play times or Trump tweets - this is not becoming of a President.  I remember President Reagan had so much respect for the oval office that he would not enter it without a tie.  May sound old fashion in today's world, but  the job, the office is to be held as a great honor and highly esteemed.  Each tweet diminishes the honor of the office.

Here Ezra Klein makes the argument why Trump tweets about ESPN ratings, and sends Pence to leave an NFL game so he can tweet about it, and decides to hammer a Senator from his own party for their height...

Trump is constantly wading into frivolous cultural fights because A) his base loves it & B) he wants anyone else distracted by his antics instead of looking at his results. 

The interesting thing is the article mentions Jared and Ivanka for newly-uncovered shady business dealings as well as their private email server. It is interesting to me that as the media uncovers more new tidbits to the murky legality of the sprawling Trump empire & family, the purview of Mueller's investigation is such that he can afford to investigate anything new that he deems relevant to his work. He has such a broad mandate that he could essentially take however much time he wants to continue examining new leads. In this way, the media is almost leading the path of Mueller's investigation in some regards.

I know Nate Silver at 538 has thrown some water on the "distraction" explanation (I think he prefers the thought that Trump is jus an impulsive, reckless individual who loves to hit detractors back & make headlines), but I think Klein makes a salient argument as well. It's hard to argue that Trump has been effective in many regards so far, unless you're a Trump voter strictly for judicial nominees or deregulation.

• Plus1 2

^^^^ I think both Nate Silver and Klein are correct.   Trump is impulsive and reckless and he has proven it outside of using tweets. But he is also using the tweets to keep the chaos stirring and the mud flying in order to distract and do his slight of hand. 

• Plus1 3