AP Top 100 Programs of All-Time

With our conference and NC drought since 1999 (conf) and 95 (AP NC) I think # 6 is about right. I'm not surprised by any of the teams ahead of us - although USC and ND especially are resting on their past accomplishments. OSU, OU, and Bama have performed consistently well in the past 10 years. While OU has had a NC drought just a bit shorter than ours, they have won many conf championships and have beena regular in the polls. After Sabin came to Bama, their program has been on another level.

I'm glad to see us ahead of Texas, Michigan & all 3 of the Florida schools.

USC is resting on their past accomplishments while OU is good and consistent lately?

I mean I guess SC has had a few rough-ish years, but they were one play away from 3 straight championships a decade ago, and have bunches of conference championships and Rose Bowl wins in the last ten years as well. ND went to a national championship game pretty recently too...

He blocked you? What a female dog! It isn't your fault that he is thin skinned and incompetent (as much of the AP is) with his voting.

Completely agree.

He has, apparently, blocked a TON of people. It's sad that he's so well-respected amongst journalists in Nebraska. I get the impression that he solidified his journalist street cred by being a huge douche to the school he covers, and he's basically considered untouchable by a whole generation of local writers and broadcasters. But the guy seems hugely biased to me (for WAY more than the 1997 vote), and I've disliked him since before Osborne won his first championship.

Here's a ranking derived from the FINAL AP poll from each year by College Football News. It may be a little more accurate. Nebraska comes in at #7 in this ranking - still darned respectable for a team that's been in a funk for two decades and wasn't anything for the first three decades of the AP poll.

Here’s the drill. Taking all the AP final rankings, CFN devised a scoring system giving every AP national champion 25 points, the No. 2 team 24, No. 3 23, and so on down to the bottom – currently No. 25, but there was a top ten for a bit and later a top 20.

LINK

VNBwuJb.png
  • Fire 1

Colin Cowherd said today that this list was laughable and far too AP only (although it was declared as an AP only ranking)

So Cowherd did his own top 10 today and gave his criteria for why.

Start at 1970 because of inclusivity and population spreading, the invention of air conditioning for people to move south.....

1. National Titles

2. Conference Titles

3. Players in NFL Draft

4. Relevance last 15 years (when I saw this on, I had a feeling he was legitimately trying to keep NU off the list)

- Reasoning for #4, tv exposure exploded, revenue exploded, the creation of the BCS and Playoff

His top 10. Straight from his FS1 broadcast.

1. Alabama

- 8 NC's

- 16 CC's

- 201 NFL draft picks (13th), 41 in first round (6th)

- Last 15 years: 148 wins, 9 bowl wins, 4 NC's

2. USC

- 5 NC's

- 19 CC's

- 306 NFL draft picks (1st), 61 in first round (1st)

- Last 15: 149 wins, 9 bowl wins, 2 NC's

3. Ohio State

- 3 NC's

- 21 CC's

- 275 NFL draft picks (2nd), 59 in first round (2nd)

- Last 15: 162 wins, 9 bowl wins, 2 NC's

4. Oklahoma

- 4 NC's

- 22 CC's

- 242 NFL draft picks (7th), 31 in first round (12th)

- Last 15: 159 wins, 7 bowl wins

**Cowherd says after Oklahoma is gets REALLLLLLLLY INTERESTING......

5. Florida

- 3 NC's

- 8 CC's

- 231 NFL draft picks (8th), 46 first rd (4th)

- Last 15: 137 wins, 8 bowl wins, 2 NC's

6. Miami

- 5 NC's

- 9 CC's

- 250 NFL draft pick (6th), 58 in first round (3rd)

- Last 15: 124 wins, 4 bowl wins, 1 NC

7. Florida State

- 3 NC's

- 15 CC's

- 222 NFL Draft picks (10th), 42 in first round (5th)

- Last 15: 142, 9 bowl wins, 1 NC

8. Nebraska

- 5 NC's

- 17 CC's

- 270 NFL Draft picks (3rd), 28 in first round (13th)

- Last 15: 127 wins, 6 bowl wins

***Cowherds justification: "What really hurts Nebraska though, and this is why they're not higher, and why I don't value them like the associated press. They've got the NC's and the CC's, but in the last 15 years, they are 23rd, tied for 23rd in bowl wins and in fact in TOTAL wins, they are barely top 20. They have been an IRRELEVANT (his emphasis) program. Just an average program for the last 15 years and IN MY OPINION, that's not changing."

9. Texas

- 2 NC's

- 13 CC's

- 193 NFL draft picks (16th), 33 first round (9th)

- Last 15: 142 wins, 9 bowl wins, 1 NC

10. Notre Dame

- 3 NC's

- 252 NFL draft picks (5th), 35 first round (8th)

- Last 15: 116 wins, 4 bowl wins

** Also made comment about them being irrelevant mostly and how they squeaked out michigan because Michigan's.....

11. Michigan

- 1 NC

- 20 CC's

- 228 NFL draft picks (9th), 32 in first round (10th)

- Last 15: 120 wins, 4 bowl wins (49th)

I really couldn't believe how far down NU was. It's funny because it's the exact same list just shuffled except Colin had Miami in there and not Michigan. So, it's hard to argue his points for last 15 years but come on, NU was graded way harder on that point than anyone else except ND.