AP Top 100 Programs of All-Time

College football has been around for a long time, and the AP poll has been around for a majority of college football's existence, providing fans an albeit subjective way to compare programs. This year they took on an ambitious task of using their poll to figure out the top program of all time (or at least the past 80 years). Towards that end, the AP gave teams a point for every poll appearance, an additional point for #1 rankings, and 10 points for national champions, which I'm assuming means teams the AP ranked #1 at the end of the season.

That said, you can take a look at their Top 100 here. But as this is a Nebraska message board, it makes sense to show where Nebraska winds up in the Top 100 programs of all time.

#6 Nebraska (901 points)

Total Appearances: 717--65% of all polls

First Appearance: 1936

#1 Rankings: 72

Championships: 4

Best Full Decade: 1990s--appearing in 100% of all polls

Worst Full Decade: 1950s--appearing in 5.17% of all polls

Note: Under Tom Osborne, Nebraska were unranked in just 3 polls across three decades.

• Fire 3

With our conference and NC drought since 1999 (conf) and 95 (AP NC) I think # 6 is about right. I'm not surprised by any of the teams ahead of us - although USC and ND especially are resting on their past accomplishments. OSU, OU, and Bama have performed consistently well in the past 10 years. While OU has had a NC drought just a bit shorter than ours, they have won many conf championships and have beena regular in the polls. After Sabin came to Bama, their program has been on another level.

I'm glad to see us ahead of Texas, Michigan & all 3 of the Florida schools.

Given our recruiting base and population, I think #6 is outstanding, and we're in some seriously good company, especially #s 1-7 (haha had to draw the line somewhere :) ).

Given the way our past 15 years have gone, I'm not EVEN complaining about #6.

Here's to the next 15, which hopefully put us back on the map (wishful thinking, who knows?!!). :cheers

• Fire 2