Fall Camp Position Battles - Quarterback

Question on the QB deal.

So, Armstrong is our starter with Fyfe the backup.

Darlington is the special teams holder and emergency QB.

So.......why isn't Fyfe the emergency QB?

The emergency QB is simply to keep POB's redshirt intact. So both TA and Fyfe would have to be unavailable for ZD to go in as the emergency QB.

Yeah, this.

Example: Armstrong is out, Fyfe's helmet gets knocked off and he has to sit a play, so Darlington comes in vs burning POB's RS for one dumb play.

Question on the QB deal.

The emergency QB is simply to keep POB's redshirt intact. So both TA and Fyfe would have to be unavailable for ZD to go in as the emergency QB.

Yeah, this.

Example: Armstrong is out, Fyfe's helmet gets knocked off and he has to sit a play, so Darlington comes in vs burning POB's RS for one dumb play.

So who comes in and for how long when Tommy goes down with a blown out knee in the second quarter of Oregon game and is out for the year and Fyfe gets a concussion later in the same game?

We are going to play Darlington the rest of the day and hope that nobody really gets too unhappy about losing to the Ducks 62-3? And, when Fyfe is not quite cleared to play the following week against Northwestern, we will 'rough' it through with Zach and have POB 'ready just in case Zach gets bumped or twists an ankle and can't really even walk with any pace). Hoping that the now 2-2 Huskers can find a way to make that new "Wildcat - Spread - No QB - Run/pass Option" attack work against those Illini? Sounds like a plan to me! LOL

Now, when Zach isn't the most popular back up back up emergency holder/QB/WR on campus after his first live game action with 3 interceptions and 3 fumbled snaps and 7 consecutive 3 & out possessions in a row, it will be time to host QB try-outs amongst all those walk-ons and once upon a time QBs from back in the day?

Sorry but just can't help but wonder what all the comments will be if this kind of disaster happens. Probably about a 1 in 7 chance or something.

Question on the QB deal.

Yeah, this.

So who comes in and for how long when Tommy goes down with a blown out knee in the second quarter of Oregon game and is out for the year and Fyfe gets a concussion later in the same game?

We are going to play Darlington the rest of the day and hope that nobody really gets too unhappy about losing to the Ducks 62-3? And, when Fyfe is not quite cleared to play the following week against Northwestern, we will 'rough' it through with Zach and have POB 'ready just in case Zach gets bumped or twists an ankle and can't really even walk with any pace). Hoping that the now 2-2 Huskers can find a way to make that new "Wildcat - Spread - No QB - Run/pass Option" attack work against those Illini? Sounds like a plan to me! LOL

Now, when Zach isn't the most popular back up back up emergency holder/QB/WR on campus after his first live game action with 3 interceptions and 3 fumbled snaps and 7 consecutive 3 & out possessions in a row, it will be time to host QB try-outs amongst all those walk-ons and once upon a time QBs from back in the day?

Sorry but just can't help but wonder what all the comments will be if this kind of disaster happens. Probably about a 1 in 7 chance or something.

I..... I think you missed the point.

• Fire 2

If Tommy went down for the year, and Fyfe got injured then yeah I'm sure we would play POB.

But they weren't talking about that. They were saying instead of burning his RS for one random play that Fyfe will go back in afterwards, putting someone else in would save his RS.

• Fire 1

incredulous.gif

• Fire 7

I wanted to follow up regarding POB's arm-strength. For the most part, it shouldn't be a huge issue. However, I do have concern. From what I understand of the offense, Riley and Langsdorf like to push the ball downfield with the pass. It's not a dink and dunk offense. From the media that has seen POB in practice, he prefers to float the ball to the receivers, instead of driving the ball to the receivers on those throws. Floating the ball will probably work most of the time, but not against teams with good DB talent or in windy conditions (which can be bad at Big Ten schools). Yes, accuracy and quick release are things that POB seems to excel in, but I don't think we should downplay the lack of arm strength.

Latest word: Assuming he stays healthy, Tommy Armstrong will become the school’s all-time leader in passing yards, completions, touchdown passes and total offense. The senior has started 33 career games, taking over for an injured Taylor Martinez in 2013. What Armstrong does not own, however, is a Big Ten West championship, and some of his legacy will depend on how that plays out this season. His completion percentage needs to go up and his interceptions down, but he isn’t lacking for talent, or experienced targets.

OWH

If Tommy went down for the year, and Fyfe got injured then yeah I'm sure we would play POB.

But they weren't talking about that. They were saying instead of burning his RS for one random play that Fyfe will go back in afterwards, putting someone else in would save his RS.

LOL That is exactly what the entire discussion is all about. What the hell happens with the loss of our two senior QBS? Duh!!! We don't have a second string QB as we all saw what happened in Purdue. Unless Fyfe is reincarnated, we don't have a back up QB ready to lead the team. This seems to be the general opinion on this board. I don't necessarily agree but almost nobody is clammering for Fyfe to start over Armstrong. So you all insist we cant waste or burn POB's precious redshirt year to save this season. Just stupid. Now, the discussion is over. Next topic please.