Tommy Armstrong Inconsistency, Michael Rose-Ivey Injury

I am completely confident, that Tommy will give us the best he has. I can not nor will I ask for more. It amazes me how anyone can doubt that. He is a football player. Talent level and ability is the question. We need to support him. Know that no one is trying harder. He is not a top tier quarterback. He is an outstanding athlete playing the position of quarterback. He is what we have. Tearing him down does no one good.

I think he will turn the corner this year, with a better completion record and less interceptions. If we lose games because of his performance, no one will feel worse about the outcome. He is a great kid, and I trust we will see him improve this year.

• Fire 2

I am completely confident, that Tommy will give us the best he has. I can not nor will I ask for more. It amazes me how anyone can doubt that. He is a football player. Talent level and ability is the question. We need to support him. Know that no one is trying harder. He is not a top tier quarterback. He is an outstanding athlete playing the position of quarterback. He is what we have. Tearing him down does no one good.

I think he will turn the corner this year, with a better completion record and less interceptions. If we lose games because of his performance, no one will feel worse about the outcome. He is a great kid, and I trust we will see him improve this year.

Just cuz you are a try hard doesn't mean you the right caliber of player. Right CoHusk? ;)

Just cuz you are a try hard doesn't mean you the right caliber of player. Right CoHusk? ;)
I agree.

I would be less concerned about his first practice with pads IF I didn't "fondly" remember watching him play against Iowa last year.

I fondly remember his game against UCLA, Minnesota, BYU, Wisconsin, and even Michigan State.

You should focus on all the positives instead of insisting on the negatives.

Those positive games only make a difference if games like Iowa don't happen.

Honestly, Tommy is a hell of an athlete and has all the tools to run this system. But is there actually one person on this board who is compeletly confident in what he will give us this year?

Im not expecting much out of his improvement of being a better passing QB, but I am holding out optimism for him to be a better decision maker. He will continue to throw off his back foot, miss a check down, throw behind a WR, but limiting the dumb forced passes is something I believe he can control. My philosophy is you can't be upset at someone for an effort error, but judgement/mental mistakes are not acceptable.

I think he can can make something out of this season, but it'll mean more about what he doesn't do, not what he can do.

I would be less concerned about his first practice with pads IF I didn't "fondly" remember watching him play against Iowa last year.

I fondly remember his game against UCLA, Minnesota, BYU, Wisconsin, and even Michigan State.

You should focus on all the positives instead of insisting on the negatives.

Those positive games only make a difference if games like Iowa don't happen.

Honestly, Tommy is a hell of an athlete and has all the tools to run this system. But is there actually one person on this board who is compeletly confident in what he will give us this year?

Im not expecting much out of his improvement of being a better passing QB, but I am holding out optimism for him to be a better decision maker. He will continue to throw off his back foot, miss a check down, throw behind a WR, but limiting the dumb forced passes is something I believe he can control. My philosophy is you can't be upset at someone for an effort error, but judgement/mental mistakes are not acceptable.

I think he can can make something out of this season, but it'll mean more about what he doesn't do, not what he can do.

And what he is allowed to do.

Of course he is going to give us everything he has, and I'm not tearing him down in any way. Lets just admit that his upside is countered by downside.

Believing in him to improve and it actually happening are two different things. He's a Senior, he doesn't have a choice here. He either improves and helps carry the team, or he stays the course and we have a moderate season. Right now I would guess he is somewhere inbetween, that could change by gameday.

From playing QB and attending some 7 on 7's this isn't much of a concern, especially against your own team. Your defense has seen these plays, they know the tendencies of the WR's, and most importantly they know you have to throw the ball every time. Mentally that helps a ton on defense.

With that being said we already know that Tommy isn't going to throw for 65% and only 5 INTs all year. BUT if we can utilize his strengths with throwing down the field, using his feet, and PA to set up passes and roll outs, he can have a good season. We have too much talent and depth at WR to not put up some solid numbers.

• Fire 1

I agree with a lot of your post. It's just worth noting that he's not just an athlete lining up at QB. He was a 4* QB out of HS. Only JT Barrett was ranked higher as recruit among B10 starting QBs this year.

He had fairly typical to solid freshman and sophomore years. Then he and his team had to do a complete revamp on offense, and he took a step back (along with many of his teammates). I think that if they hadn't had to go through that, they would have been pretty damn good offensively last year.

It's hard for me to judge him when the offense went through that total change over. Especially because he performed at the top among first time QBs in a Riley system.

Despite the setbacks, they WERE pretty damn good offensively last year.

I think they would have been better than 43rd in scoring. Just my opinion.

No team in the B1G had a very high scoring offense. (We were 3rd.) It might have something to do with the defense our conference puts on the field.