Keith Williams Suspended Two Weeks, Will Miss Four Games

BIG ERN

Well, that's a rather grotesque analogy.

It sort of begs the question: do people sh#t their pants on the highway often?

But in reality, every rational, reasonable person can conclude that this wasn't the first time since his last DUI that Williams drove drunk.

Let's collectively hope it's the last.

My dad did once. They need to put those rest stops closer together :lol:

Every day on America's roadways, there are literally many millions of drivers behind the wheel. A certain percentage, known by the statisticians who care to compute these things, are driving drunk by having a Blood alcohol content by volume in excess of the stated maximum (in Nebraska .08% I believe). Common sense tells us that not all are drunk drivers but we know there are a large number. Therefore, we should, in order to prevent someone from killing another person by causing a motor vehicle accident while driving drunk, terminate all the employment contracts of all employees who have drivers' licenses or who just might make the foolish decision to get behind the wheel of a car and take off down the public roadways.

The criminal laws, so far as I am aware, do not provide that the penalty for violating a traffic law is to have one's employment terminated because society has determined that the best way to punish violators of the law is to take away their livelihoods and forever banish them from the benefits of societal living and banish them to the desert. Taking away a drivers' license is a severe punishment for any driver, whether the result of half a dozen speeding tickets or a first offense DUI. Often, the indirect result is loss of employment. This can penalize the violator and his or her financial dependents seriously as many jobs require the worker to have driving priveleges and a safe driving record to boot. Truck drivers can lose not only their license but their entire life savings and business for just one offense. If the employment contract that Williams signed to be hired as a coach specified that a DUI would be cause for dismissal, he was given fair warning. Otherwise, losing his job is unfair in my view. Some kind of 'conduct unbecoming' clause might arguably apply but then of course, such a general term for bad behavior would surely have disqualified many prior coaches for any number of 'offenses' to the sensibilities of Nebraska and its fans.

Bottom line is all citizens are entitled to the fair and just treatment under the laws (not ex post factor btw) and due process and notice are fundamental. Letting an unhappy mob with pitch forks after the fact decide the punishment that best fits the crime and the criminal is very dangerous to all of us.

• Fire 1

"Conjecture" is the accurate word, but I bet you "literally" can't find a single person willing to bet his or her life that Williams only drove drunk those three times.

Can you literally find a single person willing to bet their life that Williams didn't?

Me.

It's pretty much unfathomable that the three times Kevin Williams got caught driving under the influence were the only times he would have blown a .08.

And he just blew a .15 at 2:00 a.m.

Come on, guys. Illogical conjecture is still conjecture, and it doesn't help this particular problem.

I'm rooting for Williams and gotta think this wake up call is the one that takes. He's very, very lucky right now.

• Fire 1

"Conjecture" is the accurate word, but I bet you "literally" can't find a single person willing to bet his or her life that Williams only drove drunk those three times.

Can you literally find a single person willing to bet their life that Williams didn't?

Me.

It's pretty much unfathomable that the three time Kevin Williams got caught driving under the influence were the only times he would have blown a .08.

Come on, guys. Illogical conjecture is still conjecture, and it doesn't help this particular problem.

I'm rooting for Williams and gotta think this wake up call is the one that takes. He's very, very lucky right now.

Okay, sure. How about the time in between his 2nd and 3rd? I'm not interested in arguing any insane illogicalities, but it doesn't seem unfathomable to me that after his 2nd DUI, he shaped up, had a regrettable night and happened to get caught because the one time since it happened, he got in a car accident.

Me.

It's pretty much unfathomable that the three time Kevin Williams got caught driving under the influence were the only times he would have blown a .08.

Okay, sure. How about the time in between his 2nd and 3rd? I'm not interested in arguing any insane illogicalities, but it doesn't seem unfathomable to me that after his 2nd DUI, he shaped up, had a regrettable night and happened to get caught because the one time since it happened, he got in a car accident.

I actually posited this scenario to my wife. He sobers up, goes out to celebrate his first 5-star commit (come on, Lewis!), and drinks based on how he did as an alcoholic. He ends up getting drunk way faster than he used to. It's not hard to get twice the limit in that scenario. I did that exact thing when I went drinking for the first time in five years after my first marriage. I didn't drive, but I passed out at like 10:30.

I'm not saying I believe this happened with Williams. It's just conjecture. After all, there's just as much circumstantial evidence that this is the case as there is that he's been driving drunk all the time.

• Fire 1

Well, that's a rather grotesque analogy.

It sort of begs the question: do people sh#t their pants on the highway often?

But in reality, every rational, reasonable person can conclude that this wasn't the first time since his last DUI that Williams drove drunk.

Let's collectively hope it's the last.

My dad did once. They need to put those rest stops closer together :lol:

Cornfields!!

I think Sam Mckewon raised a good point in one of his podcasts (?) I saw with Jon Nyatawa. I'm not entirely comfortable with this idea that KW is going to go out and be a teacher about the lessons here. I mean, let's take this one step at a time. It all seems too expedient. And maybe the best thing right now for KW is not to throw him right back into the grind in a few weeks' time.

• Fire 2

Really?? And what will more time bring? It might make some people like you feel better but otherwise will serve no purpose. The University doled out its punishment, you can agree with it or not but it is done. A non story until the court doles its punishment out on Oct. 24. Unless he gets prison time, it is a non story on Oct.25.

Woah, guns blazing!

I'm not asking for more or less punishment. I'm just pointing out that they seem to be in a big rush to say hey, we're going to go check all the right boxes and do all the right things now. If there are things KW needs to work through, how can you put a schedule on that? If there aren't, how can that have been decided already?

I want to see KW back on the sidelines as much as anyone, but we can't pretend that this third DUI didn't just happen. I hope there won't be any regrets here, that's all. I'd have been quite happy with 'Let's take a step back, take as much time as you need, and we'll check in regularly over the next 3-4 months.' Seems like the sort of circumstances that would merit such caution.

I dont see where the rush is. He was given a timeline and it is clear to all. There is no reason he can't work on the drinking problem as well as coach his guys. People go to AA and do their jobs all the time. It not like he got 2 DUI's in 6 months, it was 8 years apart. When I was younger, there were times I could have had a DUI 6-8 weekends in a row. Not proud of it now and have since quit drinking by choice and never had a DUI in my entire life. None of that changed my life now. This is not that big a deal IMO. Anything he could teach them in 6 months he can teach them now

If youre driving down the highway and have to sh#t, but you decide to wait till the next exit, then proceed to sh#t your pants, are you a perennial pants-shitter? or was it an error in judgement that caused a series of events that led to your pants being filled with feces?

Come on Count. If that happens, then think about all the number of times that person must have driven with sh#t-filled pants.

Fortunately I've never been caught.

I dont see where the rush is. He was given a timeline and it is clear to all. There is no reason he can't work on the drinking problem as well as coach his guys. People go to AA and do their jobs all the time. It not like he got 2 DUI's in 6 months, it was 8 years apart. When I was younger, there were times I could have had a DUI 6-8 weekends in a row. Not proud of it now and have since quit drinking by choice and never had a DUI in my entire life. None of that changed my life now. This is not that big a deal IMO. Anything he could teach them in 6 months he can teach them now

you should be in prision

Every day on America's roadways, there are literally many millions of drivers behind the wheel. A certain percentage, known by the statisticians who care to compute these things, are driving drunk by having a Blood alcohol content by volume in excess of the stated maximum (in Nebraska .08% I believe).

Another certain percentage is masturbating. Anybody know the legal limit? Asking for a friend.