What Will The Huskers Do The First Time We Punt?

Mavric

First Punt  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's begin the drive with a question bouncing around my head: What will happen the first time Nebraska has to punt on Saturday?

Rarely does the first punt in a season produce a memory that carries beyond the next snap. This time, it's going to be different. This time, you might want to have a tissue ready in your pocket.

Husker fans have found many ways to remember and pay tribute to Sam Foltz since his tragic death in late July. But this will be the first time 90,000 gathered together since then. And when No. 27 doesn't trot out there for that first punt, the heart will hurt.

Just as much, coaches, teammates and fans are also going to want to honor him.

"Those are those moments that you anticipate but I really don't know the reaction," Husker head coach Mike Riley said of what he expects. "I can guess what it might be from either the crowd or the team or his close friends on the team. Like I said, I'm anticipating that moment but I’m not really sure."

LJS

I really expect only 10 on the field and to take the DOG penalty. I don't care what the game situation is, that is what should happen.

Personally, I would like to see our ten players line up facing backwards on one knee. If Fresno has some class they will decline the penalty but, if they don't decline it, that is fine too.

I think the game will have so much emotion anyways, I don't think you would want to make it any more emotional than it already is. I played a game in college 3 days after our head coach passes away in his office of a heart attack. It was very emotional to prepare for and hard to get your mind right. You have a moment of silence and let the tears flow, but then you have to move on and play football. If they did any of the things mentioned it would be really cool and a great way to honor a great young man though.

I really expect only 10 on the field and to take the DOG penalty. I don't care what the game situation is, that is what should happen.

Personally, I would like to see our ten players line up facing backwards on one knee. If Fresno has some class they will decline the penalty but, if they don't decline it, that is fine too.

What would actually happen if Fresno declines the DOG penalty? Would we line up again to punt it again? It's a little confusing to me because I think of all the times teams take a DOG penalty on purpose to give their punter more room to work with - couldn't the opposing coach just decline that penalty again and again?

What would actually happen if Fresno declines the DOG penalty? Would we line up again to punt it again? It's a little confusing to me because I think of all the times teams take a DOG penalty on purpose to give their punter more room to work with - couldn't the opposing coach just decline that penalty again and again?

NU wouldn't keep taking the DOG penalty over and over again. They do it once as a gesture, and the Fresno State coaches may decline it, understanding the situation. Riley and the Fresno coach may even discuss it before the game.