What did we learn-Fresno St edition

JJ Husker

We're miles ahead of where we ended lasted year but still have some work to do.

Might as well just accept that guys are going to get penalized and ejected for playing the game correctly.

Finally got some 2nd and 3rd team players game experience, the way we want to.

Ozigbo runs hard and we've got Tre Bryant for a long time, and that looks to be a very good thing.

Bryant looked really good in limited time

• Fire 3

GREAT to have a zero turnover game for the first time since ... I have no idea when.

TA is still a 50% passer, even when only throwing 10 times.

We seem to be on the extremes with our defensive calls quite a bit - either blitz everyone or rush three and play soft coverage.

Running game results were much better but I'd like to see more power runs and less slide-sideways-for-a-few-steps-then-go plays.

• Fire 3

We're miles ahead of where we ended lasted year but still have some work to do.

Might as well just accept that guy's are gking to get penalized and ejected for playing the game correctly.

Finally got some 2nd and 3rd team players game experience, the way we want to.

Ozigbo runs hard and we've got Tre Bryant for a long time.

Disagree on the bold. A real QB will shred this team, which was a problem last year, although the staff finally seemed to settle on how they want to run the ball which should help this team.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but the targeting rule was the right call. Gifford hit the QB with his helmet, it doesn't matter if it was not intentional or if it wasn't severe. It's targeting and was enforced according to the rule.

Great to see a 0 turnover game.

Disagree. We had a game plan. No big pass plays, no run, give up short passing game and put them in 3rd down scenarios. You're wrong.

• Fire 2

I guess another thing to be learned is that some fans, when presented with numerous areas of vast improvement, will still bitch and moan after only one game. Not sure what it would take to get them to acknowledge the obvious areas of improvement instead of just focusing on the things that also obviously need more work.

Enjoy the win and that at least some things improved ffs.

• Fire 8

I guess another thing to be learned is that some fans, when presented with numerous areas of vast improvement, will still bitch and moan after only one game. Not sure what it would take to get them to acknowledge the obvious areas of improvement instead of just focusing on the things that also obviously need more work.

That's the one constant in Husker football. Even if I don't agree with everything said it makes me optimistic that people are always wanting/demanding the best.

• Fire 1

Overall encouraging game I think. First half was pretty crappy. We have some good players in the secondary, so I'm concerned that we looked so bad defending the pass. We need to be better there or an experienced QB will destroy us. A good scheme needs to be implemented to make up for a absence of pressure from the defensive line.

If directed well this offense has the horses at the skill positions to do serious work. Praying for that offensive line.

That's the one constant in Husker football. Even if I don't agree with everything said it makes me optimistic that people are always wanting/demanding the best.

I don't disagree. I also saw plenty of areas where we need to improve. But, I think if a person wants to avoid being perceived as overly negative, they also should acknowledge the things that improved and were done right. IMO there were plenty of both tonight but it's really nice to see so many good things for a change. I guess I forgot where I was for a moment there, hoping that some others would also acknowledge some of those good things.

• Fire 1

14-10 @ Half against Fresno St. If a big 14 tournament were held today Huskers would finish 5th at best. I think weve seen Armstrongs ceiling. I dont see any other power schools in our conference suddenly getting much worse, It looks like a Credit Union bowl type of year AGAIN. Dont get me wrong, I love Husker football. I just cant remember the last time I saw it.

All Nebraska did today was play 1 half of good football against a very poor team, with a new coaching staff and a rFR QB. I'm happy that we were able to run against a bad team, which wasn't always the case last year, as well as 0 turnovers. But I didn't see much talent on the Fresno side of the ball, and they hung with us and gave us a scare. For a team ranked somewhere in the 100s in almost every major category last season, that is not a positive.

Based on today, I cannot say with any measure of confidence that Nebraska will win the division. Fans sick of negativity need to realize that, at this point, people aren't going to give them the benefit of the doubt until they earn it. A decade and a half of futility will do that to you ffs.

• Fire 4

Liked the play of our RB's and OL but waiting for a tougher opponent. I expect we'll see a lot of running against Wyoming and then open things up more against Oregon.

Ozigbo and Moore had good games.

The back-up Fresno QB would have given us more problems as to me he was a better passer/stronger thrower with more experience.

Defense was good against the run and up front with the DB's crashing in but secondary was a bit shaky. Will have problems against better opponents.

Fresno hung a round a bit more than I would like but we pulled away in second half so great job in closing the game out.

The second quarter was ugly for us but we owned the fourth quarter.

Gifford let up so was garbage that he got ejected.

Good solid win and we didn't show a lot to later opponents we will play.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but the targeting rule was the right call. Gifford hit the QB with his helmet, it doesn't matter if it was not intentional or if it wasn't severe. It's targeting and was enforced according to the rule.

Like it or not, it was the right call. Gifford's hands were drawn to his own body at the time of contact. If he puts his arms out and pushes the QB, it's not a targeting call. If he moves to the side to avoid contact, it's not a targeting call. It was poor play by Gifford, and the right call by the refs.

NU won, that's what matters the most. However, the team was sloppy at times and had way too many penalties (especially personal fouls). I am glad Riley was upset with the team's performance. NU didn't play a good game through 2 1/2 quarters. Then it just wore down Fresno State. I don't think that type of performance will do well against the better teams on the schedule. Thankfully, the Big Ten West doesn't have very many teams with a pulse.