Newby vs. Ozigbo - who should start & who should see the most carries

Enhance

I'd opt for playing them both, all 3 if you want to throw Tre in there too. I thought Newby looked as good or better than he ever has but I think Zig is better. If it's a goal line or an inside run and short yardage is needed, definitely Ozigbo. Guy won't go down without a fight. We're looking very good at RB, only concern will be keeping them all happy.

Did Wilbon play? Is he hurt? Or is he just 4th on the depth chart now?

I remember him having a carry that was pretty good, but that was it

Ozigbo, hands down. He gets away from the tackles. And frankly Tre Bryant looked crisper than Newby.

Tre Bryant also played in the last few minutes of the game when the Fresno defense had already been gutted by Ozibgo and Newby.

He's going to be a good one, but to say he looked crisper than Newby seems a little unfair considering when each back got their respective carries.

Keep in mind Newby has been here like 5 years and Bryant has been here what, a few months?

No poll, poll is invalid.

Oz for sure. Would like to see Bryant get a few carries against Wyoming's top unit.

Truth be told, a poll kind of takes away from the thread's intent. I want people to look at some less common measurables, week-to-week throughout the season, to see who performs "better." If I update the thread with game data each week, but then have a poll, the poll becomes a little irrelevant by mid-to-late season or people would want to change their votes depending on the data.

Ozigbo, hands down. He gets away from the tackles. And frankly Tre Bryant looked crisper than Newby.

Tre Bryant also played in the last few minutes of the game when the Fresno defense had already been gutted by Ozibgo and Newby.

He's going to be a good one, but to say he looked crisper than Newby seems a little unfair considering when each back got their respective carries.

Keep in mind Newby has been here like 5 years and Bryant has been here what, a few months?

Tre Bryant looked really good, but I agree with both of you that there has to be some context taken into consideration. The game was out of hand and Nebraska's depth/talent had clearly taken over the game.

I feel comfortable saying Newby is a solid back but he isn't a game changer. As of yet, none of these backs are. But, Bryant's performance was certainly worthy of praise even when the situation and opponent is taken into account.

Things I know are this:

1. Everyone loves to hate on Newby because he sucked last year

2. He sucked last year because he was hurt for a majority of the year

3. No one will give him the benefit of doubt for #1 and #2 despite him putting in more years through more turmoil than any other RB we have.

4. Despite his obvious experience/new found jitter/running with authority and his obvious speed (he IS the fastest back we have), he's still counted out because people can't get past #1 and #2

It's the 'cool thing' to bash on Newby right now and it's getting old really fast. As others have said in this thread, Oz benefited from some better blocking...he also got the entire 4th quarter. If it had instead been given to Newby, things might have turned out differently. Newby didn't get a carry in the 4th.

Anyone out there want to give him a break yet?

I've read through the thread and I'm having a hard time pinpointing who/what this is in response to.

Who is hating on Newby?

• Fire 1

Wilbon's probably buried but not for lack of opportunity. It's just that Ozigbo and now Bryant have both, as true freshmen, couldn't be kept off the field. Newby is already established (and his run only began as a junior; Wilbon is a sophomore), and there's only so many snaps to go around, I suppose.

But even if he's 4th on the depth chart, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Wilbon get plenty of looks this year. Especially if a few injuries hit.

It's the 'cool thing' to bash on Newby right now and it's getting old really fast. As others have said in this thread, Oz benefited from some better blocking...he also got the entire 4th quarter. If it had instead been given to Newby, things might have turned out differently. Newby didn't get a carry in the 4th.

I think you'll find plenty of people here are willing to give him a break and nobody in this thread is unnecessarily bashing Newby.

But, this is a place to ask fair questions based on data. For example, why did Ozigbo get most of the second half looks? The numbers can help give us some context. That's what I hope happens with this thread throughout the season.

This thread is not for incriminating Newby or for acting as his public defender.

• Fire 3

Things I know are this:

1. Everyone loves to hate on Newby because he sucked last year

2. He sucked last year because he was hurt for a majority of the year

3. No one will give him the benefit of doubt for #1 and #2 despite him putting in more years through more turmoil than any other RB we have.

4. Despite his obvious experience/new found jitter/running with authority and his obvious speed (he IS the fastest back we have), he's still counted out because people can't get past #1 and #2

I've read through the thread and I'm having a hard time pinpointing who/what this is in response to.

Who is hating on Newby?

Me probably.

Here's my thing. During his tenure here he had crazy big shoes to fill. He had to follow Helu, Burkhead, then Ameer. Not an easy 3 headed dragon to follow, especially when you are as vanilla as Newby.

The dude is talented and a solid RB, he has just never broken out from his debut here. What big time performances can we point to as his big moments as a Husker? Honestly nothing springs to mind.

My starters. I want to see what half of these guys can do against good competition. Not the Fresno State's of the world.

1. Bryant - That burst. I really want to see what he can do. Screw it. I'll put him at #1. He's not the only back who needs the reps.

2. Ozigbo - Has been a tough runner so far. Doesn't fumble. Reminds me of Imani Cross. That's both good and bad.

or

2. Wilbon aka the Ghost - Also has strong potential to be a good/great pass catching back with nice yac potential. Get him the rock out in space and let's see what he can do. He needs to see the field.

4. Newby - He's shown flashes but not nearly enough. Doesn't fumble.

I think if used correctly Nebraska could be more of a consistent threat running the ball. To me the question always is who can do more with less while not turning the ball over.

• Fire 1

I rewatched most of the game and now going through again taking screenshots of the "point of attack" moment of each run. Pics aren't as good as video but I'll divide them up by drive if you'd like to go watch the whole flow of the play. I think both Newby and Ozigbo did well but Ozigbo had a lot more room to work.

First Drive:

Outside zone to Newby. Line gets a good push but doesn't get the defense walled off. You can see 3-4 defenders coming free. Gain of 5.

kqwXEk.jpg

The other two carries were by TA. Punt.

• Fire 3

I was very impressed with the OL play and Newby's tenacity running the football compared to last year. I believe I posted in another thread earlier today that I was just impressed with how fast NU was able to play on offense. Not a tempo, but they ran plays very crisp and I didn't see the hesitation I saw last year. I REALLY think there are good things coming to NU.

Regarding the RB's. I think NU is in a situation similar to Wisconsin with having a stable of RB's. I'm sure Michigan would much rather have NU's or Wisc's back rather than their own.

After watching week 1. I think NU will give Oregon a rough time in 2 weeks, but I am also now thinking that Wisconsin is going to be a much tougher game than I originally thought. So that may turn out to be a wash, but maybe not.

Hard to really know after only 1 week. Still some surprises out there that no one is expecting.

• Fire 1