Prime for a letdown?

When your team loses it's no problem because you expect it. When they have a big win, like against Oregon, you avoid celebrating and go immediately to the thought that they may lose the next game. Why do you follow the team close enough to join a fan message board? What a waste of time for everyone.

Also, I love that you find a prediction that says Nebraska may lose to Northwestern and use that to bolster your same thought. It is a football game, there are only two main outcomes, win or lose. The fact of the matter is the majority of predictions are for Nebraska to win, but go ahead and post a thread hours after a big win, when everyone else is celebrating that win, to predict a loss for this weekend. You are 0-1 on your Oregon/Northwestern prediction thus far. Looking forward to the 0-2 finish.

It's fine, you can berate me, I'm used to it. Like I said, I didn't choose to have this mentality. There was a time when I was younger when Nebraska football was one of the most consistent things in my life. No matter how bad things were at home or at school, one thing I could (almost) always count on was Nebraska winning. But that's all changed, so I guess I've learned how to mentally prepare myself so that I won't be fazed either way.

This is the problem with the "doom-and-gloom" crowd. They are "happy" to be wrong (which means the Huskers are doing well) but will never miss an opportunity to say the sky is falling. #Half-HeartedFans

Yeah, "doom-and-gloom" is a pretty accurate description of me. Unfortunately, over the past 15 years or so, my hunches have been correct far more often than not. You'll also never see me complain following a Husker loss, because I'm mentally prepared for it. It sucks to be this way; I didn't ASK to be this way; I've just slowly progressed into this train of thought due to the numerous letdowns over the years.

However, to say that I'm alone in my feelings about this weekend would be asinine.

Courtesy of 247: "Northwestern (+7) vs. Nebraska

The Wildcats needed three weeks to pick up their first win of the year, falling to Western Michigan and Illinois State by a combined three points in their first two contests before taking down Duke at home, 24-13, this past week. The last of four consecutive home games to open its season, Northwestern now faces an unbeaten Nebraska team coming off a 35-32 victory over Oregon last Saturday. Tommy Armstrong, Jr. has scored four touchdowns for the Cornhuskers in each of their last two games but the model has Northwestern pulling the upset at home this week."

Why don't you link the model so we can see how stupid the methodology is.

*gasp* But you questioned "The Model". How dare you question the model. 98 out of 100 are picking the Huskers and Vegas has us favored by a touchdown but he found somebody/thing that agrees with him so it is validated. It's okay, it wasn't always this way. The years of futility have caused this. Apparently the rest of us have not also been disappointed. So when we beat NW, the next loss will surely be at the hands of the next opponent and so on. See? We just keep going this way until proven right....and then we gloat and told ya so. It's sort of like the gambler on a losing streak who keeps doubling his bet until he wins.

• Fire 1

This is the problem with the "doom-and-gloom" crowd. They are "happy" to be wrong (which means the Huskers are doing well) but will never miss an opportunity to say the sky is falling. #Half-HeartedFans

Yeah, "doom-and-gloom" is a pretty accurate description of me. Unfortunately, over the past 15 years or so, my hunches have been correct far more often than not. You'll also never see me complain following a Husker loss, because I'm mentally prepared for it. It sucks to be this way; I didn't ASK to be this way; I've just slowly progressed into this train of thought due to the numerous letdowns over the years.

However, to say that I'm alone in my feelings about this weekend would be asinine.

The Wildcats needed three weeks to pick up their first win of the year, falling to Western Michigan and Illinois State by a combined three points in their first two contests before taking down Duke at home, 24-13, this past week. The last of four consecutive home games to open its season, Northwestern now faces an unbeaten Nebraska team coming off a 35-32 victory over Oregon last Saturday. Tommy Armstrong, Jr. has scored four touchdowns for the Cornhuskers in each of their last two games but the model has Northwestern pulling the upset at home this week."

I'm pretty doom and gloom too, for the same disappointment shield coping mechanism. Thankfully though, I'm wrong a lot.

Don't care who they have lost to, how bad they are, they are always seem to have our number. I'd feel a little better if it wasn't our first road game, first conference game and after the Oregon win. Too many things spooking me on this one. I'll breathe a huge sigh of relief if we make it out with a "W".

• Fire 1

I'm pretty doom and gloom too, for the same disappointment shield coping mechanism. Thankfully though, I'm wrong a lot.

Don't care who they have lost to, how bad they are, they are always seem to have our number. I'd feel a little better if it wasn't our first road game, first conference game and after the Oregon win. Too many things spooking me on this one. I'll breathe a huge sigh of relief if we make it out with a "W".

People who haven't experienced this mindset simply can't relate. It's more psychological than anything. It's not something you can just snap your fingers and change. For those who have a similar attitude, no explanation is needed; for those who don't, no explanation will do. You have never seen me "gloat" following an opponent victory, nor will you see me complain following a loss. I enjoy victory but I almost expect defeat. Not much more I can say to make people understand.

In my OP, I wasn't even trying to be negative, I was just stating an observation of what I've noticed so many times over the years. Even though I predicted NW in an upset, my point is that I'm not the only one who is thinking there may be a letdown. I understand that 90% of predictions are in favor of Nebraska, just as I'm sure last week 90% picked Iowa, and most picked FSU. I'm entitled to my opinion. And no, this isn't an every week trend where I predict us to lose every game, so please don't try to twist things to fit your agenda. If we win I embrace it, if we lose there's no "I told ya so"... yet I do find it extremely hypocritical that the same folks who berate the "doom-and-gloomers" for "gloating" and "I told ya so" do the exact same thing when they're right, such as last week when we beat Oregon. Goes both ways, folks.

In my OP, I wasn't even trying to be negative, I was just stating an observation of what I've noticed so many times over the years. Even though I predicted NW in an upset, my point is that I'm not the only one who is thinking there may be a letdown. I understand that 90% of predictions are in favor of Nebraska, just as I'm sure last week 90% picked Iowa, and most picked FSU. I'm entitled to my opinion. And no, this isn't an every week trend where I predict us to lose every game, so please don't try to twist things to fit your agenda. If we win I embrace it, if we lose there's no "I told ya so"... yet I do find it extremely hypocritical that the same folks who berate the "doom-and-gloomers" for "gloating" and "I told ya so" do the exact same thing when they're right, such as last week when we beat Oregon. Goes both ways, folks.

That's great and all, but since the Oregon win, you have posted one comment to acknowledge it in a positive light. By comparison, you spend a number of days before the game defending your expectation that Nebraska will loss to Oregon. Then, right after a big win, you make a thread to predict the next lose you expect, and spend the whole week leading up to the game talking about their impending lose. Fans are allowed to be optimistic and to celebrate a win for an extended amount of time. Hell, even the team, who has to prepare for next week's game, gets 24 hours to celebrate a win. You posted this let down thread earlier than that.

By the way, you wanted us to mark your prediction so we could revisit it. Of course, you expected to be right, so you tell me how that would not have been saying 'I told you so'. It may cut both ways, but in this case, you literally asked for it and are now surprised when people bring it up.

• Fire 2

Not surprised at all, actually. You act as if it bothers me or upsets me when others point out that I was wrong, which contradicts your earlier statement that all of us naysayers are happy when we're wrong. Obviously I'm happy when I predict a Nebraska loss I'm wrong. Unfortunately, I've been right more often than not. In addition, I have posted more than one post regarding last week's victory, so please, don't attempt to discredit or invalidate my posts. It's nice that you have your little fan club that backs you up, which is admirable -- all I'm saying is that I find many of these fans to be hypocritical, since they do the exact same things that you're preaching against.

Not surprised at all, actually. You act as if it bothers me or upsets me when others point out that I was wrong, which contradicts your earlier statement that all of us naysayers are happy when we're wrong. Obviously I'm happy when I predict a Nebraska loss I'm wrong. Unfortunately, I've been right more often than not. In addition, I have posted more than one post regarding last week's victory, so please, don't attempt to discredit or invalidate my posts. It's nice that you have your little fan club that backs you up, which is admirable -- all I'm saying is that I find many of these fans to be hypocritical, since they do the exact same things that you're preaching against.

It is contradictory to say that you are happy to be wrong vs it doesn't bother you to be wrong? Do you know what "contradicts" means?

Whatever. It's game day. Have fun watching the game. Go Big Red!!!