Ross Dzuris

ScottyIce

Dzuris played very solid last year, if any of you were watching. Gangwich got all the pub, but Ross outplayed him most of the year. I think he had 4.5 sacks last year. He is a solid player who has earned his starting spot and Blackshirt.

The D-line will continue to improve througout the year as they gain more experience. You will never confuse them with the starters in 1995, but they will be a solid steady bunch.

Solid player, but slow!

Yes, I would love a guy with awesome speed on the rush end. But, if you are saying he's slow based on his Oregon play, I think he was asked to hold the edge and play contain on the outside and let the LB's and DB's come up and make the tackle. On some of the big outside zone plays, it was the LB's who were mis-aligned that caused busts on those runs.

Not trying to hate on Dzuris but he has been in the right place at the right time a lot. He's a solid player but most - maybe all - of his "big" plays have been taking advantage of what someone else did.

He's a good player for this year but we need more dynamic DEs going forward (which we all know).

That's why I brought up Freedom earlier in the thread. At least 2 of Dzuris's sacks this season (including the one against Oregon) has been a result of Freedom shoving the OT into the QB's face from the other side. So, Dzuris is in the right place at the right time, but he's still making the play.

• Fire 3

Not trying to hate on Dzuris but he has been in the right place at the right time a lot. He's a solid player but most - maybe all - of his "big" plays have been taking advantage of what someone else did.

He's a good player for this year but we need more dynamic DEs going forward (which we all know).

That's why I brought up Freedom earlier in the thread. At least 2 of Dzuris's sacks this season (including the one against Oregon) has been a result of Freedom shoving the OT into the QB's face from the other side. So, Dzuris is in the right place at the right time, but he's still making the play.

This is still a team sport, right?

• Fire 4

Yep. And one of his previous sacks/TFLs was a nice stunt call where he came unblocked up the middle. So credit him for making those plays but he's needed help about every time. Football is a team game but you have to have guys who can make plays on their own which I haven't seen a lot of from him so far.

• Fire 1

This is still a team sport, right?

Yes. My comment isn't made to knock Dzuris. He's been there to make plays and he's made them. For all the recruiting busts and transfers (shouldn't the guy who showed his dong still be here?) that have happened, Dzuris has stepped up and been a solid DE.

He has been in the right place at the right time a lot. He's a solid player but most - maybe all - of his "big" plays have been taking advantage of what someone else did.

Isn't this a trait we want in most Defensive players?

Right? I'd rather have guys in the right place/right time than otherwise.

Ross has been VERY solid this year. Far better than I thought he would be playing.

He has been in the right place at the right time a lot. He's a solid player but most - maybe all - of his "big" plays have been taking advantage of what someone else did.

Isn't this a trait we want in most Defensive players?

Yes, it is. But if that's all they can do you'll have a decent defense but not a great one.