Presidential Debates Discussion Thread

I appreciate that we had a very clear delineation of policy differences.

To wit:

- Trump wants to repeal the ACA. Without federal mandates, how will he accomplish coverage requirements? He didn't answer that, but he promises the coverage will be so great, and so cheap. Hillary wants to build on the ACA, recognizing that employer-based insurance was our starting point.

- Trump says we must use the words, "radical Islam." I believe at one point he said to build "safe zones" (?) and have other people pay for it.

- Trump's climate policy is built around this idea of clean coal and protecting the coal industry. Hillary supports the Clean Power Act and Paris climate treaty.

- Trump made the use of his discretionary efforts very clear. If elected, we will have more prosecution of Hillary Clinton's email situation.

- Trump, on his usage of the military, made it EXTREMELY clear that he will engage in preemptive warfare. Doesn't seem to understand the reasons -- as presented to him during this debate -- why warfare is conducted the way it is.

I'm sure there were other things which we can read about in debate coverage, but that's off the top of my head.

Martha Raddatz, by the way, is a distinguished journalist and has been a great moderator for years. She's a global affairs chief at one of the networks, and it's no surprise she wouldn't let Trump skate on hot garbage. For a man who talks so loudly and so extremely but with so little detail and specifics, it's quite rich that he has adopted "it's just talk" as a criticism of his counterpart.

We saw a petulant, vindictive man at his most himself tonight. When Hillary Clinton invoked Michelle Obama's "when they go low, we go high," Trump shot back that Michelle Obama was involved in some nasty political ads against Hillary in 2008.

It was truly an astonishing display -- one that will be as enthusiastically received by his supporters as resolutely condemned by his critics.

^And for a sense of who those supporters and critics have now become, there's former RNC chairman Michael Steele.

• Fire 2

On Policy:

• Hillary is for open borders and allowing in many more refugees despite claiming she will vet them. Trump's position is no refugees allowed in if we can't know with 100% certainty about their background. If a Hillary supporter has the details on how Hillary plans to vet these refugees please share them.
  • Hillary standing for the status quo and for raising taxes, Trump stands for lowering taxes and focusing on economic growth. Hillary did not address the economic growth issue or the fact that Obama is the only POTUS to never have 3% GDP growth.
  • On Supreme Court, Hillary would have a litmus test, Trump will have someone that relies on the Consitution.
  • Fire 1

I'm having a hard time seeing any way that Clinton won tonight. A draw, maybe. Certainly not a win.

I can't decide who I hate less, but tonight I liked Trump's demeanor much better than Clinton's. Personally I think my bar is set much higher for Hillary than Donald.

I don't think she was as effective this time, but she was clearly more prepared, professional, and conveyed her policy better than Donald.

He couldn't answer questions about tape, he threatened Clinton with jail if he wins, he dismissed his running-mate, he lied about comments about Machado that are still on his Twitter, and he nervously paced and circled her the entire time.

• Fire 5

https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/785311707237322752

Focus Group: Who are you willing to vote for?

BEFORE #DEBATEUS_Election_Debates_Additions.png • Hillary: 8 • Trump: 9

AFTER DEBATE • Hillary: 4 • Trump: 18

17 members of the focus group before the debate......22 after the debate?

Some were unwilling to say who they would vote for before the debate...if you look through the focus group you will see this.

• Fire 1