Presidential Debates Discussion Thread

When you examine the end result of that question, after the fact, Hillary wound up hitting him with a backhanded complement and Trump basically filmed a campaign ad for her. I wonder if we'll see that one at all before the election... he certainly handed it to her.

It's because Trump is a more genuine person and it came through in his answer. Hillary's compliment was not really much of one...supporting the other person's family is lame compared to what he said about her, and how he said it.

Trump exhibits none of the traits that characterize a genuine person.

He's a genuinely awful person.

• Fire 3

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/14/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-appearance-debate/index.html

"The other day I'm standing at my podium and she walks in front of me, right? She walks in front of me and when she walked in front of me. Believe me, I wasn't impressed, but she walks in front of me," he said at a campaign rally in Greensboro, North Carolina.

"Did you see what she said, that I entered her space? This is a liar. I am standing at my podium, I have got my chair and Crooked Hillary Clinton walks across the stage right in front of me," Trump said at a rally in Florida on Tuesday.

Has this moron never watched a town hall debate before?

It's no different than his stalking aimlessly around the stage like an ape. Which makes this quote from the insufferable Nigel Farage extremely ironic:

Alas, once again, Trump is simply projecting what people are saying about his odd mannerisms and body language at the debate, and projecting that onto her. Projection is all he does, it seems. Personally, I found his attempt at asserting his dominance really weird and off-putting.

Sadly, I think that first quote you posted was supposed to be about butts. This is what our political process has been reduced to.

India is growing at 8% and China is growing at 7%.

I'm not an economist but it stands to reason countries that were 3rd world countries not that far in the past have a lot more room for growth than does the U.S.

20 years ago people were still using the "people starving in China" line.

India is growing at 8% and China is growing at 7%.

I'm not an economist but it stands to reason countries that were 3rd world countries not that far in the past have a lot more room for growth than does the U.S.

20 years ago people were still using the "people starving in China" line.

Barack Obama is the only President in US History to never have 3% GDP growth. That's a fact.

The debate is going to move on to standard debate subjects now, but it’s impossible to forget that a truly extraordinary moment just occurred, one that will become the signal clip from this debate and possibly this campaign. A candidate representing one of the two major parties refused to accept the outcome of an American election. Think of the implications of that: Not only does it risk civil violence on the part of supporters who will be similarly encourage to resist an election, but it undermines the most fundamental democratic institution on which the country is based. Imagine the reaction of countries struggling to achieve democracy when a candidate questions whether an American ideal is legitimate. The political system will survive Trump, but the cynicism and doubt sown tonight will take a long time to heal.

When asked whether he would accept a Clinton victory in November, Trump’s ultimate response was, “I’ll keep you in suspense.” I don’t mean to editorialize here, but this is perhaps the most alarming thing I’ve heard a presidential candidate say on a debate stage. In some ways, this is almost as bad — or maybe worse — than Trump coming out and saying he wouldn’t accept a loss. There are two principles at stake beyond accepting the legitimacy of the election system. The first is being honest about one’s plans and stances. The American presidency is not the latest Tana French novel — leaders can’t keep the people in suspense. The second is that presidential candidates cannot cast themselves in the role of investigating elections. Trump can’t do this, Clinton can’t do this. The only answer is that evaluating the fairness of the election is up to the commissions that are appointed to do this, not to the candidates themselves. Regardless of your policy beliefs, this is not how democracy works.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/third-presidential-debate-election-2016/?#livepress-update-15324269

• Fire 1