Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix going back to school to earn his degree in criminal justice

I understand whats going on in this world, Clinton-Dix said, via ESPN. But cops have to go home at the end of the day. They have a family. They have to go home, too.

Growing up where Im from, some people are afraid of cops. They dont really like cops. And what a lot of people dont realize is, theyre really not the bad guys. Theyre really on our side, theyre really trying to help us out. And sometimes, we dont understand that.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ha-ha-clinton-dix-pursuing-criminal-justice-degree-to-unite-communities-police-092816.amp.html

What was the regents stance on Ron Brown's thing a few years back?

Great Question!

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/58861-the-ron-brown-religion-persecution-thread/

Some familiar posters in this thread that don't appear to be very consistent.

Great points. I get that he was an employee of the team, but that does not take away his right to put forward his views and feelings, even if they were controversial, and he was highly criticized by those on here offering the greatest support for MRI. Both have the right to say/do what they did, but it seems those strongly standing up for MRI are the same that blasted Brown. I personally do not like what either did but accept they both have passionate feelings on why they did what they did.

What was the regents stance on Ron Brown's thing a few years back?

Great Question!

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/58861-the-ron-brown-religion-persecution-thread/

Some familiar posters in this thread that don't appear to be very consistent.

Great points. I get that he was an employee of the team, but that does not take away his right to put forward his views and feelings, even if they were controversial, and he was highly criticized by those on here offering the greatest support for MRI. Both have the right to say/do what they did, but it seems those strongly standing up for MRI are the same that blasted Brown. I personally do not like what either did but accept they both have passionate feelings on why they did what they did.

1) They were different topics. One is using their platform to help the oppressed, while one was using theirs to help oppress.

2) Regardless of that, Ron Brown made a point to offer his thoughts not as a private citizen, but as an employee and a representative of the University of Nebraska. MRI is not an employee, and is not claiming to represent the university or the state, or anything other than himself.

• Fire 1

I find it interesting the people who have the attitude that these players should....Play the game and leave their sociopolitical stuff at home. You obviously didn't listen to MRI's statement. If not...here is a small quote from it.

People assume this is just internet talk but I can tell you from my own experience at this very institution, at various other college campuses within the past four years that racism is still a problem that must be addressed. I can’t tell you the numerous amount of times I’ve heard the “n-word” being shouted at my teammates and I from opposing fans behind our bench.

I personally find this absolutely disgusting and I don't have a problem with a player protesting racism at a sporting event when sometimes they have to put up with this at that or similar events. If people want them to leave their sociopolitical attitudes at home, maybe the fans should be the ones that start that movement.

Could it be a African American person shouting that? or can he confirm it was a white person?

I am asking again was it an African American (s) shouting this or white people?

Edited by NebraskaShellback

1) They were different topics. One is using their platform to help the oppressed, while one was using theirs to help oppress.

2) Regardless of that, Ron Brown made a point to offer his thoughts not as a private citizen, but as an employee and a representative of the University of Nebraska. MRI is not an employee, and is not claiming to represent the university or the state, or anything other than himself.

You can spin this however you want. It's the same thing.

Taking a knee during a song to pray for our country is the same thing as trying to influence laws against protecting gay and transgender people.

Got it.

• Fire 2

I agree. Both made points that were personally important to them, even though it offended others. I know military personnel and cops who are really upset about this entire anthem protest scene, so suggesting the protests are not offending others is not accurate. I also disagree that coaches are not allowed to share their own personal beliefs, even if they are unpopular to some. As I stated earlier, I would not encourage coaches or players to use football as a political platform, but they certainly have a right to do so.

• Fire 1

Taking a knee during a song to pray for our country is the same thing as trying to influence laws against protecting gay and transgender people.

Got it.

You act as though there is not an end in mind with these protests. These protests are closely tied to the Black Lives Matter movement which has a whole platform of ridiculous demands which, I will guarantee you, they would like to have laws in place that align with their demands.

You act as though there is not an end in mind with these protests. These protests are closely tied to the Black Lives Matter movement which has a whole platform of ridiculous demands which, I will guarantee you, they would like to have laws in place that align with their demands.

No, I act as if the end in mind is for the betterment and propping up of a minority people group. Ron Brown's end in mind was legal discrimination against minority people groups. And. Again. Ron Brown is a great dude. Love him, have had plenty of conversations about him. He's absolutely allowed to do whatever he wants with no argument from me, but he presented himself as a representative of the university instead of as Ron Brown the person, the private citizen.

Got it.

He was also given an outlet via an official university press conference to spread his message and thoughts. It was during the weekly football PC, so it would appear he is representing the university.

Whether or not we agree with the message is irrelevant. It's a state university, not a private entity ala the NFL. My only concern is that if this has the potential to open Pandora's box. What happens when someone wants to protest muslims because of how they treat gays?

I can see how it can be a sticky situation.

• Fire 1

Got it.

Thank you LOMS, I am glad somebody gets it!

To take it a step further, one person purported to represent NU and gave a position that EXPLICITLY contradicted NU's formal written policy. Brown's behavior was grounds for termination & he is lucky he was only reprimanded.

The other situation students engaged in explicitly protected (and previously approved) symbolic speech never purporting to represent anyone but themselves.

Pretty cut & dry difference.

I am done replying to here. Obviously, I am talking on deaf ears. And that is fine, I should have known better.

Yep, you should have.

History says there is NEVER a time that is 'correct' for protest....because when you protest anything there will always be people who disagree with what you're protesting, where you're protesting it, or how you're protesting it.

You can't make 100% of people in this diverse country happy 100% of the time.

Protests are designed to offend because many people in this country won't pay attention to anything unless it does. Sucks, but that's the way it is. You don't pay attention to the driver who is driving nicely that you pass...but you sure pay attention to the guy who cuts you off.

Anyway, my point is that there is not a right or wrong time for protesting because if you start to label when and where and why they can occur, you take steps toward a government that isn't free any longer.

I meant I should have known better than to voice my opinion in a thread where nobody is willing to consider the other side. I know I did for you guys. My opinion has not changed.

No, I act as if the end in mind is for the betterment and propping up of a minority people group. Ron Brown's end in mind was legal discrimination against minority people groups. And. Again. Ron Brown is a great dude. Love him, have had plenty of conversations about him. He's absolutely allowed to do whatever he wants with no argument from me, but he presented himself as a representative of the university instead of as Ron Brown the person, the private citizen.

Do you agree with the BLM demands which is an end in mind from many of those protesting?

• Fire 1

I think Ron Brown is fair game for this discussion.

Nobody would have paid attention to Ron Brown's stand on social issues if he wasn't prominently associated with the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Michael Rose-Ivey no doubt came to the same conclusion. Both are passionate about controversial subjects, both used their UNL connection. The University is/was uncomfortable about both stances, but there's not a solid legal or ethical action to take against them. So it gets hashed out in the court of public opinion, which is where we're at.

I can see how some would feel there's hypocrisy in the responses to Brown vs. Rose-Ivey. I know it feels like the world is going to hell under some liberal agenda. But either the United States stands for all men are created equal or it doesn't. Brown & Rose-Ivey were both responding to civil rights issues. Rose-Ivey was not trying to take anyone's civil rights away. Brown was. That's the point where the two cases veer off. For me at least. I never demanded any action against Brown, nor did I think he was speaking for the University of Nebraska.

• Fire 3

I am done replying to here. Obviously, I am talking on deaf ears. And that is fine, I should have known better.

Yep, you should have.

History says there is NEVER a time that is 'correct' for protest....because when you protest anything there will always be people who disagree with what you're protesting, where you're protesting it, or how you're protesting it.

You can't make 100% of people in this diverse country happy 100% of the time.

Protests are designed to offend because many people in this country won't pay attention to anything unless it does. Sucks, but that's the way it is. You don't pay attention to the driver who is driving nicely that you pass...but you sure pay attention to the guy who cuts you off.

Anyway, my point is that there is not a right or wrong time for protesting because if you start to label when and where and why they can occur, you take steps toward a government that isn't free any longer.

I meant I should have known better than to voice my opinion in a thread where nobody is willing to consider the other side. I know I did for you guys. My opinion has not changed.

You are fine GBR...some on here only speak well of protests that align with their own political ideology, but condemn others protests that do not align with their own political ideology. Don't shy away from voicing your opinion.

• Fire 1