Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

I'm not buying Anderson's story

Fair enough. Believe what you will.

I'm not buying a lot of this "Black Lives Matter" stuff myself, so we have our preferences.

We can say for certain that the team was blown apart when it deviated from football into politics, correct? (rhetorical question, no need to answer since the answer is apparent.)

• Fire 1

I'm not buying a lot of this "Black Lives Matter" stuff myself, so we have our preferences.

We can say for certain that the team was blown apart (unnecessarily) when it deviated from football into politics, correct? (rhetorical question, no need to answer since the answer is apparent.)

Yes, protesting has turned attention. Question is, is it negative, or positive? Just because it has attention doesn't necessarily anything will make it better. In fact, I think it has made things worse. Now, every time a white man shoots a black man, it makes national media, no matter what the circumstances are. And then this type of stuff only gets worse. And worse. And worse. The Charleston incident was 100% racism. A MAJORITY (notice how I did not say all) of interracial shootings are not intended to be racist. That is just what people love to assume when a white person shoots a black person.

Yes, protesting has turned attention. Question is, is it negative, or positive? Just because it has attention doesn't necessarily anything will make it better. In fact, I think it has made things worse. Now, every time a white man shoots a black man, it makes national media, no matter what the circumstances are. And then this type of stuff only gets worse. And worse. And worse. The Charleston incident was 100% racism. A MAJORITY (notice how I did not say all) of interracial shootings are not intended to be racist. That is just what people love to assume when a white person shoots a black person.

what you focus on will persist. War on drugs, war on terror, now a war on racism. In all instances this "attack" on societies problems inevitably create more of the same problems. Why don't we have a rally for safety, a program for peace? We fight the things we don't like instead of replacing them with something we would rather have.

Mother Teresa said she would never attend an anti war rally. She said she would always atrend a pro peace rally. The sad thing is i think government higher ups understand the law of attraction and use it in a divisive manner

• Fire 1

We can say for certain that the team was blown apart when it deviated from football into politics, correct? (rhetorical question, no need to answer since the answer is apparent.)

We could say sports was tainted when we included patriotism by that logic. The root of the problem is a false relationship between two disparate things. Stop singing the anthem before games, where it does not belong, and all problems are solved.

Bowfin, if you ever get tired of complaining about this in an online forum, and fashion your own personal protest on behalf of the flag, and if that protest gets thousands of people thinking and talking about what patriotism means, I would never accuse you of accomplishing nothing.

I'm a huge football fan, otherwise I wouldn't be 4,500 posts into this bulletin board. But the deviation in question is somewhat larger than my enjoyment of the game. While it's sad this team was "blown apart" the real world problem is more literal than your chosen metaphor.

I'm guessing you'll have your wish and this political sideshow will be largely forgotten a year from now. I also think the healthy discussion will lead to real solutions, even if they're attitudinal and hard to measure.

People have the right to chose if they want to stand or kneel. Glad you finally agree.

Nobody should have to be subjected to political theater by means of ambush. If one pays to see a football game, then give them a football game and leave out the other crap...is that wrong?

I just despise all of this "Look at me!" sh!t that tries to get pawned off as something noble or useful. Like that other guy said, "Do something."

People have the right to chose if they want to stand or kneel. Glad you finally agree.

Nobody should have to be subjected to political theater by means of ambush. If one pays to see a football game, then give them a football game and leave out the other crap...is that wrong?

I just despise all of this "Look at me!" sh!t that tries to get pawned off as something noble or useful. Like that other guy said, "Do something."

People have had this conversation with you enough times already. Just because players are doing this doesn't mean it's the only thing they're doing.

• Fire 2

The players who will not stand for the anthem should be benched. I don't agree with their methods. While they are in uniform and in the stadium, they represent the University, the State and fans. There should be no personal politics on the field.

The anthem honors the millions of Americans, past and present, including those soldiers who fought to stop slavery in the Civil War, stop dictators in other wars, Martin Luther King, and other good people. The kneeling is an insult to those people and does not accomplish much else other than discord- as is evidenced by the responses to this thread.

I don't buy into the helping hand to rebuild the inner cities. This nation has spent trillions over the past 50 years and we still have the same percentage of poor, the same run down inner cities and race relations are probably as bad as they have been since the 1960s. Those problems won't be solved on the football field by kneeling and insulting millions.

If these players think they have ideas, then call a press conference on their time in their civilian clothes and make specific proposals to the their representatives like adult citizens are supposed to do.

• Fire 1

Wow people kneeling for the anthem this has totally ruined the football game that I payed to see. Even though people at the game probably wouldn't even notice the players were kneeling if they are watching the flag
  • Fire 1

The players who will not stand for the anthem should be benched. I don't agree with their methods. While they are in uniform and in the stadium, they represent the University, the State and fans. There should be no personal politics on the field.

The anthem honors the millions of Americans, past and present, including those soldiers who fought to stop slavery in the Civil War, stop dictators in other wars, Martin Luther King, and other good people. The kneeling is an insult to those people and does not accomplish much else other than discord- as is evidenced by the responses to this thread.

I don't buy into the helping hand to rebuild the inner cities. This nation has spent trillions over the past 50 years and we still have the same percentage of poor, the same run down inner cities and race relations are probably as bad as they have been since the 1960s. Those problems won't be solved on the football field by kneeling and insulting millions.

If these players think they have ideas, then call a press conference on their time in their civilian clothes and make specific proposals to the their representatives like adult citizens are supposed to do.

I +1'ed your post because I am sure that you will get a lot of hate for posting this. I 95% agree with what you are saying (The only thing I didn't agree with I struck out). Like I said in an earlier post, sure this is raising attention to the matter. Doesn't mean it's positive attention. Everything legislatively has been done, that's what MLK did. Changing society is impossible to force.

I +1'ed your post because I am sure that you will get a lot of hate for posting this. I 95% agree with what you are saying (The only thing I didn't agree with I struck out). Like I said in an earlier post, sure this is raising attention to the matter. Doesn't mean it's positive attention. Everything legislatively has been done, that's what MLK did. Changing society is impossible to force.
law enforcement reform isn't impossible to force

law enforcement reform isn't impossible to force

There isn't any law enforcement reforming to do! Of all of the high profile cop shootings, maybe one or two have been racist at most, and the rest were more than likely with reason and the guy he shot happened to be black. And for many of the ones that are presumed to be racist, people love to assume the cop is automatically the bad guy, without listening to both sides.