Grateful For Mike Riley

NM11046

I knew exactly who he was and what he brought to the table. I was happy with the selection instantly, because it swept the trash out the door and brought every thing clean and organized. A great man, that left a lifetime gig, to take over a program in trouble. Wanted to be here, wanted to coach Nebraska, and felt from the beginning he would figure this out. No one could be happier with the hire then or now. Not happy about our coach with the drinking problem, but trust that if Mike things he can fix him. He can.

Good guys don't have to finish last, I am hoping he puts us on top of the college football world. A lot to ask, but pretty sure the effort to do it will be there.

Really good to see these posts, Positives about the Nebraska program and coach, who would have thought.

• Fire 1

Easy to support your coach when he is winning. Let's see what happens when he drops a few games.

Would not change a thing for me.

You'd still feel exactly the same if it was another 5-7 season? Sure....

I +1'd this instead of hitting the reply (toooooo early here). So don't think someone agreed with you on this.

Indeed that's the case - doubt me all you want. If you knew me personally you'd know I'd been saying this for a year. If we don't have reputable people leading the team we'll never get recruits, never maximize the talent, never win. We would have continued to spiral. So (I think) we'll continue to improve this year and in the years moving forward. If not I will still support him whole heartedly because he is the face of the program and he's a great one. Without that we are nothing.

I'd rather lose (yes) and have the interview with my coach (for the university and the state I love) at halftime be a respectful, cordial, insightful, professional one than a snot nosed, bitter, grumpy "why do I have to do this" interview like Bo gave.

Easy to support your coach when he is winning. Let's see what happens when he drops a few games.

I +1'd this instead of hitting the reply (toooooo early here). So don't think someone agreed with you on this.

Indeed that's the case - doubt me all you want. If you knew me personally you'd know I'd been saying this for a year. If we don't have reputable people leading the team we'll never get recruits, never maximize the talent, never win. We would have continued to spiral. So (I think) we'll continue to improve this year and in the years moving forward. If not I will still support him whole heartedly because he is the face of the program and he's a great one. Without that we are nothing.

I'd rather lose (yes) and have the interview with my coach (for the university and the state I love) at halftime be a respectful, cordial, insightful, professional one than a snot nosed, bitter, grumpy "why do I have to do this" interview like Bo gave.

Really?

Because they could have hired my neighbor. Super nice guy, always happy, smiling whistling. But has never watched a down of football. But, so long as he is nice and gives a good interview.

Really?

Because they could have hired my neighbor. Super nice guy, always happy, smiling whistling. But has never watched a down of football. But, so long as he is nice and gives a good interview.

Yup.

But you see snarky Teach, Mike has watched a down of football.

Really?

Yup.

But that wasn't you point, was it? Your point was you don't care about wins. I don't think that is the case. I think you care about the team winning. I think we all do.

• Fire 1

Really?

Yup.

But that wasn't you point, was it? Your point was you don't care about wins. I don't think that is the case. I think you care about the team winning. I think we all do.

My point was that if this season was like last season no, I wouldn't care about wins. I think you need the morals and ethics to get them and sometimes that doesn't come overnight. I was disappointed last year, absolutely - but not angry or bitter or blaming the coaching staff. I was prouder of the team last year than any winning season under Bo. There is a broader picture and I feel you can have both.

Really?

Yup.

My point was that if this season was like last season no, I wouldn't care about wins. I think you need the morals and ethics to get them and sometimes that doesn't come overnight. I was disappointed last year, absolutely - but not angry or bitter or blaming the coaching staff. I was prouder of the team last year than any winning season under Bo. There is a broader picture and I feel you can have both.

Fair enough.

Really?

Yup.

You're treating the two as if they're mutually exclusive. You can have both. You can have a respectable coach who wins games.

You can also just be honest and say you prefer MR over Bo. I'll agree with you. I don't know if MR was the right hire, but I still think he's a better choice than Bo. I also don't blame MR for last years 5-7 season, although I believe it is him and his staffs fault for a couple of those losses.

I'm optimistic for the future of Nebraska football under Riley. Hopefully he can have some success. But he needs to have success, because Nebraska expects championships. If we don't win a conference championship, or perhaps at least contend for one in the next 4 years, he'll be gone. But I'm sure he knows that.

At the very least, I trust his judgement. I think he has handled a lot of situations well and I think he is a good role model for the student athletes.

Really?

Yup.

You're treating the two as if they're mutually exclusive. You can have both. You can have a respectable coach who wins games.

You can also just be honest and say you prefer MR over Bo. I'll agree with you. I don't know if MR was the right hire, but I still think he's a better choice than Bo. I also don't blame MR for last years 5-7 season, although I believe it is him and his staffs fault for a couple of those losses.

I'm optimistic for the future of Nebraska football under Riley. Hopefully he can have some success. But he needs to have success, because Nebraska expects championships. If we don't win a conference championship, or perhaps at least contend for one in the next 4 years, he'll be gone. But I'm sure he knows that.

At the very least, I trust his judgement. I think he has handled a lot of situations well and I think he is a good role model for the student athletes.

Not sure if you read my entire post ... we agree. Last sentence - "you can have both".

I have been very concerned with all of the distractions this week and the team. Then, my nerves become calmer when I realize Riley is the coach and what I have seen of his personality over the last 18 - 20 months.

I really hope we finish with a strong season so we don't have to go through another off season of fans claiming he's a horrible coach and we need a change.

I have been very concerned with all of the distractions this week and the team. Then, my nerves become calmer when I realize Riley is the coach and what I have seen of his personality over the last 18 - 20 months.

I really hope we finish with a strong season so we don't have to go through another off season of fans claiming he's a horrible coach and we need a change.

Yeah, but we know how it goes. Lose to the Illini this weekend and it will be ugly time again. Riley has no room to wiggle vs these teams this year:

Illini

Purdue (Even though we know that they have higher ranked players at every position)

Indiana

Iowa

If he wins those 4 all will be "fine"

Split with Wisconsin/OSU and he will be great

I like MR's demeanor, but I still don't think he is a good coach. The Huskers should not have had a losing season last year. Callahan started out 4-0 in his second year too. Bo looked like a defensive genius in 2009 when we were one second away from winning a Big XII title. MR was not good at OSU or in the NFL. I hope we don't have another coaching change in the near future, but I don't see MR doing any better than our last two coaches.

Yeah, but we know how it goes. Lose to the Illini this weekend and it will be ugly time again. Riley has no room to wiggle vs these teams this year:

Illini

Purdue (Even though we know that they have higher ranked players at every position)

Indiana

Iowa

If he wins those 4 all will be "fine"

Split with Wisconsin/OSU and he will be great

I unfortunately think you're right. Husker fans right now have no wiggle room for things not going perfectly. Those 4 games I think in our minds are all games we "should" win. I think this season is about winning the games we should win and being competitive in the others.

That said if we escape with a 1 or 2 loss regular season, this season goes down as far more than a small victory for me. I honestly didn't think we had a "complete" team this year. There's still a lot to worry about as our level of competition hasn't been amazing, but I'm curious how this shake of the dice will come out.

I'll also add, I would really love to be a 2 or 3 loss team this season. I think that would get us ranked and be a huge morale booster for us.

• Fire 1