Grateful For Mike Riley

NM11046

I was a harsh critic of the hire and especially when things looked really bad. I began to change my tune after the Michigan St. game. I figured we had zero chance of winning. We seem to be on a winning course. There are going to be challenges ahead no doubt. If Armstrong goes down, we are in serious trouble. You can't blame Riley for things like that. We are also going to have a rough patch here and there too. Patience. Trust in Riley.

• Fire 3

No teachercd, it was a leader, the face, the most known Nebraskan nation wide. That was the embarrassment and it was from day one. An educator that made three, four times the money of any professor. Pathetic, sad that he was allowed to lower this university to his standards. I got grief about him from the start. I never heard one degrading remark about Nebraska last year, "tough loss" "could not believe how they lost". Not a single "what kind of moron do you guys let coach your team" "That Ahole is your head coach".

Such a vast improvement over the past even with 7 losses.

• Fire 4

No teachercd, it was a leader, the face, the most known Nebraskan nation wide. That was the embarrassment and it was from day one. An educator that made three, four times the money of any professor. Pathetic, sad that he was allowed to lower this university to his standards. I got grief about him from the start. I never heard one degrading remark about Nebraska last year, "tough loss" "could not believe how they lost". Not a single "what kind of moron do you guys let coach your team" "That Ahole is your head coach".

Such a vast improvement over the past even with 7 losses.

Well, the thing is, last year the degrading remarks were the scores of the BYU game, the Illini game, the Purdue game and so on and so on.

No need to rub the old salt in the old wounds. When people feel sorry for you they say "Tough loss" or "Man, what a tough way to lose"

I guess what happened if you went from being embarrassed to being pitied. Hopefully both are now over.

• Fire 1

How could you be a fan of college football and not have known who Mike Riley was? He wasn't coaching at Willamette folks, he was in the Pac 10(12).

I thought he was a "safe hire" when he was hired, and I think he is a "safe hire" today. Is he a class act who I'm proud to have leading by team, sure, but I'm not yet convinced he is capable of raising the program to a level where they can compete year-in and year-out with Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, etc. Hope he is...but not yet convinced he is.

• Fire 2

How could you be a fan of college football and not have known who Mike Riley was? He wasn't coaching at Willamette folks, he was in the Pac 10(12).

I thought he was a "safe hire" when he was hired, and I think he is a "safe hire" today. Is he a class act who I'm proud to have leading by team, sure, but I'm not yet convinced he is capable of raising the program to a level where they can compete year-in and year-out with Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, etc. Hope he is...but not yet convinced he is.

This is true. It will take 2 more years IMHO to see if he can sustain success - he will have 'his' QB, his recruits and his system being run by players who match it. He has a good recruiting class in the wings and we'll see how they pan out in 2 - 3 years. Patience is needed.

I'd like him to be here long enough so that when he retires, and Scott Frost has obtain success, we might grab him or another young up and coming coach to take over.

PS - stay on topic don't make this into a Scott Frost hijack post.

• Fire 1

It surprises me how some people seem to actually be upset/embarrassed because they see another human being acting "crazy" on TV.

I guess I don't upset that easy. But I guess I should realize a lot of people do, this post will probably upset some people and lord knows other posts upset people.

Sometimes, to hop in the way-back-machine, I think people need to take a chill pill.

For those of you that say you get upset/embarrassed...you don't really mean it, do you? Like, you are not really sitting there at home turning red faced with embarrassment or seething with the feeling of being upset.

Why wouldn't people be embarrassed? If you were at an event with a relative and they made a complete full of themselves on more than one occasion - how would you feel? People that put their heart and soul into NU football treat the team as family.

• Fire 1

It surprises me how some people seem to actually be upset/embarrassed because they see another human being acting "crazy" on TV.

I guess I don't upset that easy. But I guess I should realize a lot of people do, this post will probably upset some people and lord knows other posts upset people.

Sometimes, to hop in the way-back-machine, I think people need to take a chill pill.

For those of you that say you get upset/embarrassed...you don't really mean it, do you? Like, you are not really sitting there at home turning red faced with embarrassment or seething with the feeling of being upset.

Why wouldn't people be embarrassed? If you were at an event with a relative and they made a complete full of themselves on more than one occasion - how would you feel? People that put their heart and soul into NU football treat the team as family.

Because Bo is not my relative. Neither is the team. I wish they were, I could get some more Xmas gifts.

• Fire 1

I remember Saben going into full Bo mode when the Huskers decimated Michigan State in 1995. Winners get by with a lot more than average coaches. I also thought Bo was one of few coaches that aggravated the refs so much that some borderline calls went against the Huskers. I don't remember any games called as favorably as the Oregon game when Bo was coaching.

• Fire 3

I LIKE MIKE! GOBIGRED! ​I liked him last year during the season and I like him THIS season. It's NOT all about win n loss for me... I'm 'just' old enough to recall all 5 of our championship wins and admittedly, I got spoiled for a LOT of years with HARD NOSED, HARD HITTING, OPTION football. Different era, different style... I'm here and enjoying the 'new' coaching we're currently seeing. Feels like the coaching is more in line with what I remember from our glory years. I think the players are showing us the difference as well. YEEEEE-HAWWWWW! BEAT ILLINOIS!

• Fire 1

I remember Saben going into full Bo mode when the Huskers decimated Michigan State in 1995. Winners get by with a lot more than average coaches. I also thought Bo was one of few coaches that aggravated the refs so much that some borderline calls went against the Huskers. I don't remember any games called as favorably as the Oregon game when Bo was coaching. Wasn't that SWEEEEEEEEET!!??!!!

I remember Saben going into full Bo mode when the Huskers decimated Michigan State in 1995. Winners get by with a lot more than average coaches. I also thought Bo was one of few coaches that aggravated the refs so much that some borderline calls went against the Huskers. I don't remember any games called as favorably as the Oregon game when Bo was coaching.

Favorably? I thought that was a pretty evenly officiated game, the most questionable call on them could have gone either way.

I have been very concerned with all of the distractions this week and the team. Then, my nerves become calmer when I realize Riley is the coach and what I have seen of his personality over the last 18 - 20 months.

I don't really think that this will be a distraction for the team. I think that it is more of a distraction for the fans (especially a certain subset).

I have been very concerned with all of the distractions this week and the team. Then, my nerves become calmer when I realize Riley is the coach and what I have seen of his personality over the last 18 - 20 months.

I don't really think that this will be a distraction for the team. I think that it is more of a distraction for the fans (especially a certain subset).

I agree...I don't see them thinking "Man...I wonder if MRI is doing okay today" while it is 3rd and 5.

I think fans like to use "distraction" as something to worry about.