Grateful For Mike Riley

NM11046

Based on the goal of competing for conference championships, Riley has accomplished nothing at Nebraska as of yet.

He has turned 140 players onto his side - something that wasn't that easy based on how things went down before he got here. He has created a buzz with top recruits that you can assume he will get some % of. He is making strides to make it easier for that goal to occur. A person doesn't just wake up one day and say i'm going to win the U.S. Open - there are steps to prepare and that is happening.

• Fire 2

After the start we had last year I think all of us were ready to abandon the Riley project but I am seeing a much different team than in past years when they just appeared to give up when meeting adversity. There is still a lot of work ahead, give Riley a year or two (I don't think this is the year) and get his type of players on the roster and lets see what he can do.

I remember Saben going into full Bo mode when the Huskers decimated Michigan State in 1995. Winners get by with a lot more than average coaches. I also thought Bo was one of few coaches that aggravated the refs so much that some borderline calls went against the Huskers. I don't remember any games called as favorably as the Oregon game when Bo was coaching.

Favorably? I thought that was a pretty evenly officiated game, the most questionable call on them could have gone either way.

There were several holding calls when Oregon achieved a first down. I don't remember the Huskers getting these calls in the past. Gerry had 9 tackles without a targeting call. When has that ever happened :)

• 4 weeks later...

I like MR personally, but I am not thankful he is the Husker HC. Solich and Bo were fired because 9 wins isn't good enough. MR gave us a losing season. That should never have happened. We are 7-0, but we haven't played a top 50 team yet. I am hoping for the best, but I think there were many better coaches available.

Cracks me up when people say things like the bolded. It's either a huge exaggeration or they don't have any idea what a bottom half team actually plays like. We're clearly a top 30 team. It's easy to argue we're not a top 10 team. Stick with that. But we'll see how the next 2 games go.

Very few were ready to give up on Riley last year, mainly the ones that just plain did not want him here. He needs at least 3-4 years. He has the team improving, and really that is all anyone can ask of a coach. The kids are a team, we haven't seen that in a long time.

I new HC needs at least 6 years as long as nothing unethical or illegal happens under their watch to show if they are a good fit with the program that they are currently with. That is 4 years of having to use the players that the last staff recruited which can be a good or bad thing depending on how good recruiters they were. Then two years with experienced players that they recruited to play in their system. Bo had 7 years which was more than enough time to prove how good of a fit he was, and Frank had 6 and both proved that they were not fit for the job here.

Neither of them were fired because of only winning 9 wins. That is the biggest load of crap on this board.

Agreed. Gets really old.

People only say this because they don't want Riley as our coach. If 9 wins weren't enough to save Frank and Bo, then surely 7 losses in one year should have sent Riley packing. These people continually exhibit an unwillingness to look at the big picture of each situation and refuse to acknowledge all of the factors involved.

Some threads I do pretty good at resisting the urge to correct these people again, others...not so much. ;)

• Fire 2

Very few were ready to give up on Riley last year, mainly the ones that just plain did not want him here. He needs at least 3-4 years. He has the team improving, and really that is all anyone can ask of a coach. The kids are a team, we haven't seen that in a long time.

I new HC needs at least 6 years as long as nothing unethical or illegal happens under their watch to show if they are a good fit with the program that they are currently with. That is 4 years of having to use the players that the last staff recruited which can be a good or bad thing depending on how good recruiters they were. Then two years with experienced players that they recruited to play in their system. Bo had 7 years which was more than enough time to prove how good of a fit he was, and Frank had 6 and both proved that they were not fit for the job here.

Of our last five coaches only one has proved he wasn't worthy of being here. It wasn't Frank or Bo.

Of our last five coaches only one has proved he wasn't worthy of being here. It wasn't Frank or Bo.

Said the Riddler...

I like MR personally, but I am not thankful he is the Husker HC. Solich and Bo were fired because 9 wins isn't good enough. MR gave us a losing season. That should never have happened. We are 7-0, but we haven't played a top 50 team yet. I am hoping for the best, but I think there were many better coaches available.

Cracks me up when people say things like the bolded. It's either a huge exaggeration or they don't have any idea what a bottom half team actually plays like. We're clearly a top 30 team. It's easy to argue we're not a top 10 team. Stick with that. But we'll see how the next 2 games go.

Well, it is an exaggeration but only slightly. According to Sagarin, the best team we've played is #44 Northwestern.