Nebraska's ceiling

Redux

I kinda wonder what this staffs ceiling is for this year as much as the teams overall? Has Coach MR and his staff ever been ranked this high? Also have they ever been ranked this high and had to feel the pressure they feel coaching at Nebraska

At OSU, Riley once had a team ranked #7 in the AP. That team started unranked and finished 20th.

Here's a link to that season. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Oregon_State_Beavers_football_team

In some ways it's similar to this year at Nebraska. OSU was coming off a horrendous 2011 season that they finished 3-9. They came out and beat a couple of teams early that were ranked in the top 25, but who would finish unranked and then beat a string of poor teams to climb to #7 at 6-0.

They finished the season with a 3-4 run, but were competitive in each loss but the one to Oregon.

Ehh... I don't think it's that big of a deal. We haven't beat any really good teams yet. Everyone is happy we are 5-0. Some of you guys just want to be happy... happy...happy all the time. Sheesh.

I'd be happy with 50/50 optimism/pessemism.

Unfortunately for Nebraska, the 5 teams we have beaten are doing us no favors. Fresno, Wyoming, NW and Illinois were never going to look good on a resume and Oregon gave up after losing to us.

I don't know if they gave up or they're a bad team. I would think a good team wouldn't give up

I think they started quiting after 2 losses in a row. They kind of lack a locker room leader if I had to guess due to QB musical chairs.

I would defintiely say that Oregon has quit. They have imploded. They were just going through the motions just like Nebraska did in 2007. Helfrich is gone at the end of the year, if not sooner.

That team's a mess. There is zero faith in the system esp on defense. What I saw on saturday was not good at all. Spot on with the comparison to 2007. I'll add in 2015 Nebraska vs Purdue to that as well. Just no trust in the coaches whatsoever. And when you dont believe in what youre doing, it's impossible to do it full go. Theyre human after all. Dont see Helfrich surviving this. What's gonna be interesting is seeing where Oregon really stands in the world of College football or did they just happen to have a real fast up and coming coach for a few years that happened to be a genius of his time? I mean, the guy was an OC (not head coach) at New Hampshire before being the OC at Oregon for just two years, then bam. Head Coach and massive success. Not that Oregon was garbage before. Theyve been solid for a while. But Kelly took them to a whole other level. Now that he's gone, it's been a steady decline, and now the wheels are off.

Did he really? Oregon had been solid quite a while before Kelly took over. In 01', Oregon probably had as big of claim to play Miami for the NC as anyone considering they were ranked #2 in both the coaches and AP poll. Even in Bellotti's final year at Oregon, they ended the season ranked in the top 10. Kelly kept the ball rolling, but his best season wasn't really any better than Bellotti's best season. Until this year, it appeared Helfrich was going to keep the ball rolling as well.

It will be interesting to see where the chips fall at the end of the year. With the job openings up so far plus the ones that probably will be open, I doubt Oregon stands a chance in the Herman lottery. While there's still a lot of football to be played, there could be a ton of top programs looking for coaches this offseason.

So what is this teams ceiling? (Kinda got off my original topic)

I see no reason this team foesn't win at least ten games. Our style of play is punishing on defenses, I think that makes the difference against the remainder of our tough games. I think we lose a close one to Ohio State but that's about it. Regardless where we end the season ranked I think the ceiling this year is a top 10 finish and an 11 win season.

Who cares? Just watch the games and hope we play well. So far we don't know much of anything because our one quality win was to what's turning out to be a bad team.

​The Indiana game will be a better indicator of where we're at. Until then make sure your pom poms are ready for some serious shaking.

I kinda wonder what this staffs ceiling is for this year as much as the teams overall? Has Coach MR and his staff ever been ranked this high? Also have they ever been ranked this high and had to feel the pressure they feel coaching at Nebraska

At OSU, Riley once had a team ranked #7 in the AP. That team started unranked and finished 20th.

Here's a link to that season. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Oregon_State_Beavers_football_team

In some ways it's similar to this year at Nebraska. OSU was coming off a horrendous 2011 season that they finished 3-9. They came out and beat a couple of teams early that were ranked in the top 25, but who would finish unranked and then beat a string of poor teams to climb to #7 at 6-0.

They finished the season with a 3-4 run, but were competitive in each loss but the one to Oregon.

hard to say the staffs ceiling because it has gone up with the program upgrade. The staffs ceiling at OSU can be determined for sure as there is a start and end point to the data set. But this is not OSU and because of that I believe the staff is capable of more precarious heights than they reached at OSU

So what is this teams ceiling? (Kinda got off my original topic)

I see no reason this team foesn't win at least ten games. Our style of play is punishing on defenses, I think that makes the difference against the remainder of our tough games. I think we lose a close one to Ohio State but that's about it. Regardless where we end the season ranked I think the ceiling this year is a top 10 finish and an 11 win season.

Who cares? Just watch the games and hope we play well. So far we don't know much of anything because our one quality win was to what's turning out to be a bad team.

​The Indiana game will be a better indicator of where we're at. Until then make sure your pom poms are ready for some serious shaking.

Please don't talk about my pom poms.

Ehh... I don't think it's that big of a deal. We haven't beat any really good teams yet. Everyone is happy we are 5-0. Some of you guys just want to be happy... happy...happy all the time. Sheesh.

Unfortunately for Nebraska, the 5 teams we have beaten are doing us no favors. Fresno, Wyoming, NW and Illinois were never going to look good on a resume and Oregon gave up after losing to us.

I don't know if they gave up or they're a bad team. I would think a good team wouldn't give up

I think they started quiting after 2 losses in a row. They kind of lack a locker room leader if I had to guess due to QB musical chairs.

I would defintiely say that Oregon has quit. They have imploded. They were just going through the motions just like Nebraska did in 2007. Helfrich is gone at the end of the year, if not sooner.

That team's a mess. There is zero faith in the system esp on defense. What I saw on saturday was not good at all. Spot on with the comparison to 2007. I'll add in 2015 Nebraska vs Purdue to that as well. Just no trust in the coaches whatsoever. And when you dont believe in what youre doing, it's impossible to do it full go. Theyre human after all. Dont see Helfrich surviving this. What's gonna be interesting is seeing where Oregon really stands in the world of College football or did they just happen to have a real fast up and coming coach for a few years that happened to be a genius of his time? I mean, the guy was an OC (not head coach) at New Hampshire before being the OC at Oregon for just two years, then bam. Head Coach and massive success. Not that Oregon was garbage before. Theyve been solid for a while. But Kelly took them to a whole other level. Now that he's gone, it's been a steady decline, and now the wheels are off.

Did he really? Oregon had been solid quite a while before Kelly took over. In 01', Oregon probably had as big of claim to play Miami for the NC as anyone considering they were ranked #2 in both the coaches and AP poll. Even in Bellotti's final year at Oregon, they ended the season ranked in the top 10. Kelly kept the ball rolling, but his best season wasn't really any better than Bellotti's best season. Until this year, it appeared Helfrich was going to keep the ball rolling as well.

It will be interesting to see where the chips fall at the end of the year. With the job openings up so far plus the ones that probably will be open, I doubt Oregon stands a chance in the Herman lottery. While there's still a lot of football to be played, there could be a ton of top programs looking for coaches this offseason.

since that 2001 season under Bellotti....

7-6

8-5

5-6

10-2

7-6

9-4

10-3

Under Kelly....

12-2

12-1

11-2

13-2

2 NC game appearances in these four year.

Different level? not only that, but it's probably multiple levels higher. I didnt realize till I looked up these records that the gap was this wide. My perception was simply based on two NC appearences in 4 years. These records tell me the comparison isnt even close. Belloti's records are comparable to Riley at Oregon St. Pretty easy correlation to make between Riley's flatlining/falling off at Oregon St and Chip kelly's instant rise at Oregon.

• Fire 2

7-6

8-5

5-6

10-2

7-6

9-4

10-3

Under Kelly....

12-2

12-1

11-2

13-2

Different level? not only that, but it's probably multiple levels higher. I didnt realize till I looked up these records that the gap was this wide. My perception was simply based on two NC appearences in 4 years. These records tell me the comparison isnt even close. Belloti's records are comparable to Riley at Oregon St. Pretty easy correlation to make between Riley's flatlining/falling off at Oregon St and Chip kelly's instant rise at Oregon.

I have to correct myself. Chip kelly only had 1 NC appearance. The 2nd one in 2014 was under Helfrich in his first year after Kelly left.

Would they say Bellotti was a failed coach, though? I imagine some would. But Kelly was a product of what Bellotti built. It seems more like Oregon had been doing some good stuff for a long time. Eventually, *all* the right pieces fell into place and they managed to go on a heck of a run. Kelly parlayed that into some even better gigs, and then Helfrich took over.

But those good waves don't last forever. Looks like Scott Frost got out just in time.

The point is that Kelly took them-immediately-to levels they had never been. And the fact that he did it was pretty incredible simply because 3 years prior to being the new HC at Oregon, he was an OC at New Hampshire. Chip Kelly had really come out of nowhere to take a program to inarguably unseen heights. The point of this was figuring out where Oregon sits in the ranks of college football when it comes to finding their next coach. That's all. Someone else asked if kelly really took Oregon above and beyond by citing they were already solid under Belloti. And I agree. they were solid, and I wouldnt say Belloti was a failure either. But to me, there's really no comparison. Kelly did in fact take the program to a whole nother level. He himself wasnt a splash hire. So, back to my original point. If Helfrich gets outed it's gonna be interesting to me to see where Oregon stands in ranks compared to LSU, Texas, USC, etc in terms of coach hires. We may be surprised.

7-6

8-5

5-6

10-2

7-6

9-4

10-3

Under Kelly....

12-2

12-1

11-2

13-2

And also Kelly was the OC the two years before he took over as HC. Not the same as being the HC but those were two of Belotti's three best years. It was Kelly's offense that really got them moving.

The point is that Kelly took them-immediately-to levels they had never been. And the fact that he did it was pretty incredible simply because 3 years prior to being the new HC at Oregon, he was an OC at New Hampshire. Chip Kelly had really come out of nowhere to take a program to inarguably unseen heights. The point of this was figuring out where Oregon sits in the ranks of college football when it comes to finding their next coach. That's all. Someone else asked if kelly really took Oregon above and beyond by citing they were already solid under Belloti. And I agree. they were solid, and I wouldnt say Belloti was a failure either. But to me, there's really no comparison. Kelly did in fact take the program to a whole nother level. He himself wasnt a splash hire. So, back to my original point. If Helfrich gets outed it's gonna be interesting to me to see where Oregon stands in ranks compared to LSU, Texas, USC, etc in terms of coach hires. We may be surprised.

I don't think Oregon will have trouble if Helfrich gets canned. They are a very attractive program right now, especially for someone like Herman who is an offensive guy. They have a ton of speed and they are super attractive to recruits, with Nike constantly pumping money into the program. If they get a guy who can recruit at all they will continue to stay competitive and be a top 15 or so program for the foreseeable future. They have too many good things going for them not to be

It's not just here, it's everywhere. Earlier today I saw someone saying on facebook "For you fools who think we can blow Indiana out, think again. We'll be lucky to escape with a win."

Why? Because they hung with Ohio State for a while. I don't think Ohio State is thr world beater they are being made out to be but that's just me.

The Illinois game was far closer than the score indicated. We should have beaten Northwestern handily, but instead it was very close due to the 2 turnovers at the goal line. The Oregon win isn't looking as good either. Nobody is being negative...we are just being cautiously optimistic because we all know we do not have all the pieces together and Indiana has proven they are a much improved team. I also do not predict a meltdown on here if we lose to Indiana...unless it is by 4 TDs. If we beat Indiana by a point, I will be ecstatic. I am enjoying the season so far and will continue to do so even after losses. I like how this team is being coached and carries itself.

I don't get it. Why are we even going to Columbus? Our own fan base isn't giving our team a chance? f'ing CANCEL it.

This ^^^

Does anybody here believe that Navy accidentally beat Houston when all they were really trying to do was to "not embarrass themselves"?

"There is not a horse that can't be rode or a rider that can't be throwed." Whether Nebraska is the horse or the rider, how about not conceding defeat before they are even out of the chute, okay?

I don't think Oregon will have trouble if Helfrich gets canned. They are a very attractive program right now, especially for someone like Herman who is an offensive guy. They have a ton of speed and they are super attractive to recruits, with Nike constantly pumping money into the program. If they get a guy who can recruit at all they will continue to stay competitive and be a top 15 or so program for the foreseeable future. They have too many good things going for them not to be

There is some rumblings in the Pac NW that if/when Helfrich gets shown the door that UO will make a run at bringing Scott Frost in to run the show. It appears that Frost has a great relationship with Phil Knight. And well...what Uncle Phil wants...Uncle Phil gets.

It's very hard for me to see Tom Herman going anywhere but Texas or the SEC. If I'm an AD with a HC opening, I'm making a strong run at Kyle Whittingham. Always been a big fan of his. He reminds me a lot of Chris Petersen.