Rest Tommy next week?

Tommy did not look comfortable yesterday. Not smiling, not having fun. Injured for sure, but being the warrior he is, he played thru it. I say set him the whole week, let Ryker run the show the whole week, TA extra therapy. If at the end of the week, Tommy is ready to play at near 100% then he starts, if he is still hurting, play Ryker and if needed put Tommy in.

To have any chance against Wisconsin, Tommy will need to be on the field and as near 100% as he can be. Purdue, has the ability to beat us, no question, but I think Ryker has the ability to beat Purdue. Kids get hurt when not 100% or giving 100% effort. See Taylor Martinez.

This! I think Fyfe, if he's gotta play, can fill out a game manager role very effectively. I don't think Tommy knows what a game manager is. Obviously he is a baller and wants to make the big play and that can be incredible for us. But as far as Fyfe is concerned, he can come in, make the short throws to the flat and across the middle efficiently, hand the ball off and take one shot a quarter to keep the defense honest. That game plan will win us the game against Purdue.

I'm sure Riley will do the right thing by Tommy. Tommy may not heal in a week. He didn't heal in the bye week and if he furthers his injury and can't play in the Wisconsin game, it'll be Fyfe time anyway. Personally, I'd rather season him up against Purdue then Wisconsin.

This entire discussion is kind of ridiculous. If Tommy's able to play, he's gonna play. No if's, and's, or but's about it. That's the way he wants it, that's the way Coach Riley wants it, and that's the way the team wants it.

You limit or eliminate the designed runs for him against Purdue, and challenge the O-line and RB's to dominate an inferior Purdue defense running the ball. Continue to let Tommy throw the ball 15-20 times, and give him some confidence back going into our biggest games of the year. And then if we have a comfortable lead in the 2nd half, give the ball to Ryker to finish the game. Let the defense and running game win this game, and let's get ready for Wisconsin.

• Fire 3

Who said Tanner Lee will be in the mix.

Everyone who has been around the team this year?
Tanner Lee will be the odds-on favorite to be the starter next year. Langsdorf really likes his arm and the way he picked up the offense in fall camp. He practiced a lot this fall camp with the #1 offense which is not very typical for a guy who you know is going to take a snap of real football this season.

I have not looked to see what Purdue has done this year but we all painfully recall the debacle that was last year with Fyfe. Yes, he threw for 400 yards and bunch of scores, etc. but about 4 or 5 ints and a fumble. He has played dam few snaps thus far and played dam few all of last year. At this point, we don't 'save' Tommy Armstrong to hopefully somehow pull off the miracle upset in a win vs Wisconsin and or Ohio State (odds are very much against both) and risk losing to Purdue. If Tommy A is unable, we go with Fyfe IF he is markedly better than POB at this point in time AND it is assured that Tommy will return quickly. If Fyfe plays, there is a reasonable likelihood we'd have to play POB if he gets hit anyway. We can't simply forfeit the game to 'save' a future year of eligibility of one player, no matter what the potential or promise is. At this point, he has been on the team for nearly a year, he should be fairly 'ready' to run the basic offense and play. Shouldn't he?

I have not looked to see what Purdue has done this year but we all painfully recall the debacle that was last year with Fyfe. Yes, he threw for 400 yards and bunch of scores, etc. but about 4 or 5 ints and a fumble. He has played dam few snaps thus far and played dam few all of last year. At this point, we don't 'save' Tommy Armstrong to hopefully somehow pull off the miracle upset in a win vs Wisconsin and or Ohio State (odds are very much against both) and risk losing to Purdue. If Tommy A is unable, we go with Fyfe IF he is markedly better than POB at this point in time AND it is assured that Tommy will return quickly. If Fyfe plays, there is a reasonable likelihood we'd have to play POB if he gets hit anyway. We can't simply forfeit the game to 'save' a future year of eligibility of one player, no matter what the potential or promise is. At this point, he has been on the team for nearly a year, he should be fairly 'ready' to run the basic offense and play. Shouldn't he?

Are you talking about O'Brien? If Armstrong can't go, Fyfe will get the start and POB would be the backup.

I think people are commenting that we should sit Armstrong just to get him 100%. I am mixed on that opinion, because NU shouldn't take Purdue lightly, just to be possibly healthier for the rest of the season. I would go with the approach of rest Armstrong in practice this week, and try to get thru Purdue by not having him run very much.

Are you talking about O'Brien? If Armstrong can't go, Fyfe will get the start and POB would be the backup.

I think people are commenting that we should sit Armstrong just to get him 100%. I am mixed on that opinion, because NU shouldn't take Purdue lightly, just to be possibly healthier for the rest of the season. I would go with the approach of rest Armstrong in practice this week, and try to get thru Purdue by not having him run very much.

This entire discussion is kind of ridiculous. If Tommy's able to play, he's gonna play. No if's, and's, or but's about it. That's the way he wants it, that's the way Coach Riley wants it, and that's the way the team wants it.

You limit or eliminate the designed runs for him against Purdue, and challenge the O-line and RB's to dominate an inferior Purdue defense running the ball. Continue to let Tommy throw the ball 15-20 times, and give him some confidence back going into our biggest games of the year. And then if we have a comfortable lead in the 2nd half, give the ball to Ryker to finish the game. Let the defense and running game win this game, and let's get ready for Wisconsin.

Speculating is the mother of all forums. I have no idea how injured Tommy is but I am speculating that he is hurting to a moderate degree. Why? Because his mobility yesterday was notably limited and he obviously limped at times. Also, not to much more than a week ago he was wearing boot and Riley made the comment that he wouldn't play had there been a game rather than a bye. And Tommy's checked out for a few series in at least one but maybe more games. How is it ever right for a team or an individual to play an obviously hurting player? I trust Riley to make the morally right decision but I would not be surprised to hear that Tommy sits this week. If we lose because the 2nd string QB can't cut it then so be it. We're not much of a team to begin with.

I honestly didn't notice that Tommy was limping or in any way physically limited yesterday. The mistakes he made were the same mistakes he's made when healthy for the past three seasons. And the good plays were the same good plays.

Multiple times I noticed a limp to line. He couldn't cut at all. Hard to describe Tommy's speed when healthy, not fast but football fast. Yesterday he had the mobility of Dan Marino.

Speculating is the mother of all forums. I have no idea how injured Tommy is but I am speculating that he is hurting to a moderate degree. Why? Because his mobility yesterday was notably limited and he obviously limped at times. Also, not to much more than a week ago he was wearing boot and Riley made the comment that he wouldn't play had there been a game rather than a bye. And Tommy's checked out for a few series in at least one but maybe more games. How is it ever right for a team or an individual to play an obviously hurting player? I trust Riley to make the morally right decision but I would not be surprised to hear that Tommy sits this week. If we lose because the 2nd string QB can't cut it then so be it. We're not much of a team to begin with.
exactly. If we lose the game because of a quarterback injury the game would still be close if Tommy was playing. Quarterback play also reflects the whole teams play. If the team is executing Fyfe should have no issue running this offense. If the team plays poorly Fyfe will probably have a terrible game. But the same things could be said for Tommy. Difference between the two in the latter situation could be win or a loss but if we play thathe badly against Purdue, we deserve to lose like we did last year.

Armstrong should never be playing multiple games through a limiting injury. Finishing a game, or testing it for a game is one thing; letting it persist is another.

• Fire 1