Offended by Halloween Costumes - Get a counselor - UFlorida

The vast majority of people don't get offended by the Halloween costumes they encounter. This hardly means there aren't any that are insensitive. I'm *sure* you can think of some. Blackface. Nazis. Excessively stereotypical depictions of other races or cultures.

I'm sure in each case, some people would be totally fine with it, while others would have some trouble with seeing their own people depicted in that way. Similarly, intent also runs the gamut from innocent to purposeful douchewad.

So, what's the answer here? Be outraged at the fact that a University with a diverse student body is offering counseling services for those who need it? Or convincing yourself that a young person bothered -- let's say the Jewish person bothered by idiots dressing as Anne Frank and Hitler, or Asian people exasperated at a white person narrowing up their eyes and going "Ching Chong Ching Chong" -- is weak, a wuss, and worthy of derision rather than support?

I know the reactions we have here in the thread are the obvious ones. I just don't really agree with them. Let the people who are fine be fine, and don't pile on those who might have some more difficulty with something. Strength is not "handling" everything you encounter by shutting up about it and pushing it down. Yeah, it's good to not be bothered by things, but it's OK to be able to talk about them to someone if you are.

The vast majority of people don't get offended by the Halloween costumes they encounter. This hardly means there aren't any that are insensitive. I'm *sure* you can think of some. Blackface. Nazis. Excessively stereotypical depictions of other races or cultures.

I'm sure in each case, some people would be totally fine with it, while others would have some trouble with seeing their own people depicted in that way. Similarly, intent also runs the gamut from innocent to purposeful douchewad.

So, what's the answer here? Be outraged at the fact that a University with a diverse student body is offering counseling services for those who need it? Or convincing yourself that a young person bothered -- let's say the Jewish person bothered by idiots dressing as Anne Frank and Hitler, or Asian people exasperated at a white person narrowing up their eyes and going "Ching Chong Ching Chong" -- is weak, a wuss, and worthy of derision rather than support?

I know the reactions we have here in the thread are the obvious ones. I just don't really agree with them. Let the people who are fine be fine, and don't pile on those who might have some more difficulty with something. Strength is not "handling" everything you encounter by shutting up about it and pushing it down. Yeah, it's good to not be bothered by things, but it's OK to be able to talk about them to someone if you are.

Yes, agreed - counseling has its place and we all need it at different times in our lives.

• Fire 1

We should just ban Halloween and beggar's night all together. It's an archaic ritual that no longer serves a purpose and could be considered offensive by a group of vampires or zombies.