Let's Be Honest...

Plus I don't think we have much talent/depth on the OL and DL right now, so it's hard for me to have great expectations for this team. We're doing this with glue and duct tape right now.

This is the key to the season, and why it's easy to disregard people who demand we have _____ number of wins or they'll be disappointed. There are a lot of pegs to bounce off of before we get to the bottom of this season's Plinko machine.

Folks just need to learn to enjoy the ride. You'd think it'd be easier to just be happy with a 6-0 start after the last 15 years, but there are still those people who just can't remember that this is supposed to be fun. Gotta be a sad way to live.

• Fire 1

I just had no idea Wisconsin was going to be as good as they are. I didn't expect them to be nearly as competitive as they were against Michigan and Ohio State.

Beating them and making it to Indy, in a scenario where let's say we're both 10-2, would be a pretty amazing feeling. Losing to Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Minnesota would be hugely discouraging (assuming that Armstrong finds a way to heal fully). With a fully healthy Armstrong, I'd be extremely frustrated to lose to either Minnesota or Iowa. Iowa sucks, and we're better than Minnesota.

• Fire 1

Plus I don't think we have much talent/depth on the OL and DL right now, so it's hard for me to have great expectations for this team. We're doing this with glue and duct tape right now.

This is the key to the season, and why it's easy to disregard people who demand we have _____ number of wins or they'll be disappointed. There are a lot of pegs to bounce off of before we get to the bottom of this season's Plinko machine.

Folks just need to learn to enjoy the ride. You'd think it'd be easier to just be happy with a 6-0 start after the last 15 years, but there are still those people who just can't remember that this is supposed to be fun. Gotta be a sad way to live.

I am enjoying this ride. 6-0 feels a lot better than 2-4. Saturday, I was super happy after the win, and had some drinks to continue the good feeling. I want the good feeling to continue by getting to the B1G Championship game. If it doesn't get there, I will be thinking "crap", even if there were too many injuries for the team to overcome.

Is this Nebraska team College Football Playoff quality? No. But I am enjoying this run so far and enjoying the top 10 ranking whether people think we deserve it or not. Nebraska has played 6 games and won 6 of them. You can't ask for anything better. It is not Nebraska's fault the 6 teams have not been that great so far this season.

If we go 9-3, compared to last year I would be elated. I guess it comes to how do we get those 3 losses. If we get blown out Pelini style to Wisconsin and Ohio State, and lose a game we should win to Iowa? Minnesota? I will be dissapointed, but again still much happier then last year.

If we go 9-3 with close losses to Wisconsin and Ohio State I will be OK with it because at least we showed we can compete with the top teams in the conference. Which would be an improvement over the last 8 years under the old coaching staff, and heck even the coaching staff before them.

Riley and Co have only 1 loss since last years debacle to Purdue. They have this program in the right direction and it is exciting to know we are nowhere near where we are going to be and we are #8.

• Fire 1

SO FAR, we have won the games we were expected to. The next step to surpass Pelini's teams on the field is to be competitive OR win the games we expect to be really challenged in. If we take that next step, even losing to UM and OSU, as long as they aren't blowouts, then we have overcome the main complaints against Bo's teams.

That's it in my mind. Goal 1 is apparently in the rearview. We need to keep it there and handle Purdue. Then we need to compete (and hopefully win) against the East Division big dogs. It's hard to ask for much more. If we play to potential, give our best games, and still lose I'll be okay with that. If we get blown out we simply have more work to do. Playing to our top potential has NOT happened in any game so far. We MUST get that taken care of or our chances will be very slim indeed against MU and OSU.

Sitting here at 6-0, with 7-0 all but a mathematical certainty, would 9-3 really be a "great season"? I want to see these "power polls" and get worked up when an undefeated Nebraska team is nowhere near the Top 10, but honestly, I find myself agreeing with them.

Taking it a step further, I think both Iowa and Nebraska will be 6-2 in Big 10 play heading into the game at Iowa City -- which the Hawkeyes will clearly be favored in. If we go 9-3 and don't make the Big 10 Championship game, are we doing cartwheels? I'm not. I'm thrilled it isn't the heart-breaking debacle that last season was, and I'm not holding this team / program to a mid-90's level of accomplishment, but I'm just not sure a 2-3 finish and no Big 10 Title game is going to feel all that hot given where we'll be standing (7-0, top 6-8 in America...although I think that ranking is fraudulent) a week from today.

I'm I just being uncharacteristically pessimistic? Should I be drinking more of the Kool-Aid?

I think you're being overly pessimistic. Your assumption that Iowa will be clearly favored is a head scratcher to me. I think there is also a built in bias against your own team because you watch them closely and see every flaw while you virtually ignore the lousy play of other teams.....even when you're playing them and their own fans are commenting about how much their players are stinking it up.

​The one thing I've noticed about this team is they respond to encouragement and fan support. It's one thing to say hey they need to fix this or that and completely another to act like losing is likely before they've even stepped on the field. These guys have a lot of fight to them, the defense keeps stepping up and getting tougher, the offense has the talent and ability to not get in the rut where Tommy scrambles all over and makes wild throws....some of them are already asking for the ball, others (DPE ,Morgan, Reilly) need to get in the habit. We have ways of keeping them from hounding Tommy the way Indiana did....we need to use them.

Ohio State looks pretty tough......the rest look beatable.

But first, let's not take Purdue lightly.

• Fire 1

Why are people still talking like Minnesota is a good football team? They're no better than they were last year when we beat them by three TDs.

They're 4-2 and only one of the teams they beat, Maryland, has a winning record.

Minnesota is OK. They are not "good."

Some folks have to justify their own pessimism that we're gonna lose every week, even when it's highly unlikely. So they have to say such and such is a good team. now granted, it turned out correct cuz the game was close, but this is what we did with Indiana. Convinced ourselves they were some juggernaut. these are the same ppl that refuse to give any credit to the good that is happening. only looking forward to the failure. Bo lovers. It's really that simple. Bo lovers. Hoping for failures with the "told you so" card in hand. Miserable.

Why are people still talking like Minnesota is a good football team? They're no better than they were last year when we beat them by three TDs.

They're 4-2 and only one of the teams they beat, Maryland, has a winning record.

Minnesota is OK. They are not "good."

Some folks have to justify their own pessimism that we're gonna lose every week, even when it's highly unlikely. So they have to say such and such is a good team. now granted, it turned out correct cuz the game was close, but this is what we did with Indiana. Convinced ourselves they were some juggernaut. these are the same ppl that refuse to give any credit to the good that is happening. only looking forward to the failure. Bo lovers. It's really that simple. Bo lovers. Hoping for failures with the "told you so" card in hand. Miserable.

I see it a different way when some fans are convincing themselves that an opponent like Indiana is a juggernaut. I see it as them saying Indiana is going to be a tough game as an early excuse for the current coaches in case NU loses. I don't see what the "Bo lovers" have anything to do with it.

I see it a different way when some fans are convincing themselves that an opponent like Indiana is a juggernaut. I see it as them saying Indiana is going to be a tough game as an early excuse for the current coaches in case NU loses.

mINQWMO.gif

Actually I can see how he see's it that way. it's not totally ridiculous.

It's also no where close to the case.

I was thinking the same thing. I remember several years (see below) where we had a great record and a high ranking, only to end the season with a thud.

Year Record Final Record

2014 8-1 9-4
2012 10-2 10-4
2010 10-2 10-4
I hope we don't end the season with a losing streak. We need to finish with three losses or less. We have lost more than three games every season since Solich. It is time to break this streak.