Injury updates

mwj98

Not sure if this is being discussed anywhere else but wouldn't Foster be in line for a medical redshirt right now? Can they still play him for a couple of games at the end of the season and still get this done?

I believe the rule is you are eligible for a medical red shirt if you have not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests - whichever is greater. However, the waiver/request can be denied. If I had my druthers I'd rather wait to play him against Iowa and in the bowl game since our chance of playing for a conference championship is small.

Not sure if this is being discussed anywhere else but wouldn't Foster be in line for a medical redshirt right now? Can they still play him for a couple of games at the end of the season and still get this done?

I thought that was the story but according to Sean Callahan last week you have to show that you've missed TWO seasons due to injury to get a medical hardship.

I thought that was the story but according to Sean Callahan last week you have to show that you've missed TWO seasons due to injury to get a medical hardship.

That's incorrect. Foster could still play and be eligible for the redshirt.

How does a player obtain a medical redshirt?

A player obtains a medical redshirt by applying for one through the NCAA following a season when they meet each of the following requirements:

• The player must have suffered an injury during their senior year of high school, or during one of their four eligible seasons for college competition. (This does not provide for players who are already redshirting a season and are injured in practice.)
  • The injury suffered must be "incapacitating", meaning it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur during the first half of the season.
  • The player must have competed in no more than 30% of the season or four games, whichever is greater.

http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/georgia-tech-football/2015/10/7/9457847/football-the-medical-redshirt-explained

Edit: I guess since the injury isn't technically "season ending" there may be some gray area there that would DQ him. I wonder if he doesn't play the rest of the year if he would still be eligible or if he's already ineligible because he's possibly able to play again?

• Fire 1

A player obtains a medical redshirt by applying for one through the NCAA following a season when they meet each of the following requirements:

• The player must have suffered an injury during their senior year of high school, or during one of their four eligible seasons for college competition. (This does not provide for players who are already redshirting a season and are injured in practice.)
  • The injury suffered must be "incapacitating", meaning it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The player must have competed in no more than 30% of the season or four games, whichever is greater.

http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/georgia-tech-football/2015/10/7/9457847/football-the-medical-redshirt-explained

Thanks. I thought it was more like that but Callahan specifically said differently last week.

But if I read that right, if he plays at all now he wouldn't be eligible. Because it wouldn't be "season-ending." Right?

Thanks. I thought it was more like that but Callahan specifically said differently last week.

But if I read that right, if he plays at all now he wouldn't be eligible. Because it wouldn't be "season-ending." Right?

Was Callahan pointing out that they have to have already used their regular red shirt year also?

The article also says this:

Can this get a player a sixth season of eligibility?

A player who has already had a redshirt season and then qualifies for a medical redshirt in a subsequent season can be approved for a sixth year of eligibility. However, those cases are tougher to win, as the player is supposed to have missed two seasons for "circumstances beyond their control", where taking a redshirt as a true freshman would not typically meet that criteria.

Foster already redshirted as freshman. Also, his injury clearly isn't season-ending if he's coming back, so I don't see how he would qualify.

• Fire 1

Weird that he wouldn't know that. Yea you're right, I misread that the first time. I went back and edited my post right before you said that ha.

Weird that he wouldn't know that. Yea you're right, I misread that the first time. I went back and edited my post right before you said that ha.

Well, I guess he was kind of right based on the other info you found. Sounds like you don't absolutely have to miss two years because of injury but it's tougher to get if one is just a regular redshirt.

Haven't they said Farmer, Knevel and Gates have been getting healthy every week? Only for them to end up being pulled during the game because of injuries?

Pretty much. Kind of seems like a situation where they should have just rested them to get healthy rather than pushing it and maybe taking longer to really get healthy.

• Fire 1