Injury updates

mwj98

Not sure if this is being discussed anywhere else but wouldn't Foster be in line for a medical redshirt right now? Can they still play him for a couple of games at the end of the season and still get this done?

I thought that was the story but according to Sean Callahan last week you have to show that you've missed TWO seasons due to injury to get a medical hardship.

That's incorrect. Foster could still play and be eligible for the redshirt.

How does a player obtain a medical redshirt?

A player obtains a medical redshirt by applying for one through the NCAA following a season when they meet each of the following requirements:

• The player must have suffered an injury during their senior year of high school, or during one of their four eligible seasons for college competition. (This does not provide for players who are already redshirting a season and are injured in practice.)
  • The injury suffered must be "incapacitating", meaning it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur during the first half of the season.
  • The player must have competed in no more than 30% of the season or four games, whichever is greater.
http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/georgia-tech-football/2015/10/7/9457847/football-the-medical-redshirt-explained

Edit: I guess since the injury isn't technically "season ending" there may be some gray area there that would DQ him. I wonder if he doesn't play the rest of the year if he would still be eligible or if he's already ineligible because he's possibly able to play again?

If foster didn't play this season it seems like he would be eligible for the medical redshirt right? Or did he lose that by practicing?

If foster didn't play this season it seems like he would be eligible for the medical redshirt right? Or did he lose that by practicing?

Eligible yes. But it sounds like he would have to miss a second year due to injury to be able to expect to get one (you can't apply until after your fifth year).

Seems like him playing would pretty much kill that possibility.

Eligible yes. But it sounds like he would have to miss a second year due to injury to be able to expect to get one (you can't apply until after your fifth year).

Seems like him playing would pretty much kill that possibility.

It sounds like the staff is skeptical he would be granted a 6th year if they brought him back at all at the end of the season. With the amount of doubt and because of the timing of the injury which allows him to participate at the end of the year (rather then playing in the first two games and then being injured) I now don't think its a good idea to sit him if he is ready. Let him play and lets try to get to a better bowl game.

Most likely has a lot to do with what the kid wants to do. He has worked hard to get back, and feels he let the team down,(I know he didn't but people thing funny things sometimes) wants to contribute , and be part of this team. I think Coach Riley will look out for what is best for the young man. May see leadership qualities that could be strengthened by playing the last quarter of the season.

So I am going to hope that this is a minor hamstring injury, I would guess that by today it would be clear if it were a Grade 2 or 3 injury and he would be out for the week for sure and probably the Iowa game also (learned this from Dr. Google so correct me as needed). Of course it could also be a bit of gamesmanship from the coach mixed in with some uncertainty.

No reason to play games with Maryland. They can look at film and figure out that if Tommy is playing, they have to focused on his running and throwing. If it is Fyfe, then you put extra 'good hands' guys in to be sure and catch those bad passes just in case he does throw it before the sack happens. Otherwise, tackle the running backs every play. Oops, that is a little unfair but gosh we just don't have much offense at all without Tommy in my view. Maybe Fyfe has more skill that we've seen - apparently so if he is supposed to be our second best QB.

No reason to play games with Maryland. They can look at film and figure out that if Tommy is playing, they have to focused on his running and throwing. If it is Fyfe, then you put extra 'good hands' guys in to be sure and catch those bad passes just in case he does throw it before the sack happens. Otherwise, tackle the running backs every play. Oops, that is a little unfair but gosh we just don't have much offense at all without Tommy in my view. Maybe Fyfe has more skill that we've seen - apparently so if he is supposed to be our second best QB.

This crack me up ......... Nebraska seems like they are down to 4th string guy when Fyfe goes in.

This crack me up ......... Nebraska seems like they are down to 4th string guy when Fyfe goes in.

I will admit, I am not confident in Fyfe's abilities.... At least what I have seen this far of his limited playing time. If he is starting, I'd quickly identify passes he can accurately throw, with limited reads and have the RB as the safety valve on all passing plays. TA was not 70% last week because he magically got better. Langs, after a painful 4 game stretch IMHO, called passes TA can complete with a great deal of confidence and accuracy.

Fyfe, did not seem comfortable in the pockets and not mobile at all. Langs will have his work cut out for him to get some good plays dialed up. With no threat of a running QB, he will need to dial up the traps and counters, use those quick pop passes if Fyfe can hit them. With what will probably be another 8 man box, i can't imagine Fyfe having the time, nor skill set, to progress through multiple reads, look off a safety or even have time to attempt deeper passes......

TA still gimpy today does not speak well IMO. Reilly has been plagued for what seems his whole career with hammy issues.

Hoping for the best......for both TA and Fyfe.

• Fire 1

You have to think if the decision is up to Tommy, he'd be out there even in a full body cast. That man is nothing but cast iron nut from top to bottom.

He's obviously head and shoulders above Fyfe, but on a bad leg I don't think he's better. Tommy who can't run and Tommy who can't use his feet while he's throwing is not going to be able to do much.

You have to think if the decision is up to Tommy, he'd be out there even in a full body cast. That man is nothing but cast iron nut from top to bottom.

He's obviously head and shoulders above Fyfe, but on a bad leg I don't think he's better. Tommy who can't run and Tommy who can't use his feet while he's throwing is not going to be able to do much.

Oh, I agree with you...just saying, if it was strictly up to him.....