What did we learn-Purdue edition

I see your point, and agree about Tommy's long ball. Maybe that's true for Indian and Ill, but against Purdue the D line was manhandling us. There were some effective run blitzes, yes, but mostly it was the line being in our backfield on their own. That's a nightmare for any OC, but it seems like we didn't have much to counter it.

I learned that we are 7-0 - 1st time since 2001, Ranked 6-7th highest since 2010, we can play ugly, injured, and still win (even against a team that was a trap game before the big Wisc game. Purdue had to be highly motivated after loosing their coach - they played wt a chip on their shoulders ), we've learned not to give up and can play to the end.

I see your point, and agree about Tommy's long ball. Maybe that's true for Indian and Ill, but against Purdue the D line was manhandling us. There were some effective run blitzes, yes, but mostly it was the line being in our backfield on their own. That's a nightmare for any OC, but it seems like we didn't have much to counter it.

The last two weeks the offense has had very little presence in the middle of the field. Without that threat opposing Ds have had at least 8 guys with their eyes in the backfield. The way you counter that is by controlling the middle of the field with the pass and/or a screen game. We have missed Westy and Cethan controlling the middle and Tommy is inept at throwing screens.

Running a trap eliminates one defender, true, but it is still 6 on 7 if we are in 11 personnel and they have 8 committed to stopping the run. So maybe we run trap option and eliminate another defender to even the numbers. Now we are counting on two injured tackles and two back up guards to win 1-1 matchups consistently.

Lack of O Line depth along with not having a consistent threat in the middle of the field is harming the whole offense. Until 1 or both aspects get healthy the O will continue to struggle to run consistently.

Who knew Wyoming would rank as our most quality win?

I thought it was Indiana? Lord knows we heard all week before playing them how freaking great they were.

It is Northwestern at the moment

At the moment, Wyoming has 1 vote in the Coaches Poll, which is one more vote than any Nebraska opponent.

I think it is close but to me NW is a better team. Lost to an undefeated W Mich and undefeated Nebraska. Beat Indiana by double digits, win over Iowa. They do have an awful loss to Ill St though....so yeah I could see why people would think Wyoming.

Who knew Wyoming would rank as our most quality win?

I thought it was Indiana? Lord knows we heard all week before playing them how freaking great they were.

It is Northwestern at the moment

At the moment, Wyoming has 1 vote in the Coaches Poll, which is one more vote than any Nebraska opponent.

I think it is close but to me NW is a better team. Lost to an undefeated W Mich and undefeated Nebraska. Beat Indiana by double digits, win over Iowa. They do have an awful loss to Ill St though....so yeah I could see why people would think Wyoming.

Yeah, I'd vote for Northwestern myself. Just think it's kinda funny that Wyoming is ranked higher than Oregon.

And Oregon would likely crush Wyoming.

Which is why rankings don't mean much on the field.